Potential Bombers free agents 2023

Started by KINGCHARLES, November 21, 2022, 11:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dizzycamper

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 26, 2022, 07:04:42 PM
I agree with your comments but would still consider speaking with his agent and the player to discuss $$$$ and any concerns. I don't expect to see him as a Bomber but it is a remote possibiliy.

If the Bombers look for import receivers, I'd hope they look at Lawler first... Other than Lawler, 3 guys I like are Reggie White Jr (Alouettes), Steven Dunbar Jr. (Tiger Cats) and last DaVaris Daniels (Argos)..

Pete

The competition for top recievers is going to be heavy  (expensive). Look at Saskatchewan they will be looking to replace Williams. Evans and possible moore. Ottawa needs help. If Edmonton doesnt resign Lawler they will also be in the market. Also with the xfl and usfl there may be less rookies avaiable

Jesse

Quote from: the paw on November 26, 2022, 06:59:46 PM
I was advocating for the Bombers to take a look at Walker before last year, using much the same logic.  But I think his malaise kind of continued this year, even though guys like Mitchell and Marshall were showing well.  There is a chance he could return to form, but its too risky IMHO.

What does "return to form" even look like?

He had his big season with prime Mike Reilly in 2016. Does anyone expect him to return to that?
My wife is amazing!

the paw

Quote from: Jesse on November 26, 2022, 08:21:06 PM
What does "return to form" even look like?

He had his big season with prime Mike Reilly in 2016. Does anyone expect him to return to that?

I don't think he gets back to 1500 yds again.  But for 5 years you could basically count on him for 1000-1200 yds and 7-8 TDs over a full season.

The crap show with Elizondo was his lowest point.  He rebounded a little this past season in terms of yds, but TDs are way down.  He just hasn't looked confident out there.

I could see him coming here and putting up 1100 yds and 6 TDs for a reasonable price.  He's a few years younger than Ellingson, and at least for the moment seems more durable.

All the same, I'm not sure I would roll the dice.  But that is what I meant by return to form.
grab grass 'n growl

the paw

Quote from: Pete on November 26, 2022, 07:51:04 PM
The competition for top recievers is going to be heavy  (expensive). Look at Saskatchewan they will be looking to replace Williams. Evans and possible moore. Ottawa needs help. If Edmonton doesnt resign Lawler they will also be in the market. Also with the xfl and usfl there may be less rookies avaiable

I like Kyran Moore and think the Riders would be nuts to give up on him.  But he's the wrong receiver for the Bombers needs.  Demski and Bailey run the routes Moore is best at.  Moore doesn't track the deep throw well, he's more of a short pass and YAC guy.  So I don't think he would be a good fit to replace Schoen.
grab grass 'n growl

Jesse

Quote from: the paw on November 26, 2022, 08:45:52 PM
I don't think he gets back to 1500 yds again.  But for 5 years you could basically count on him for 1000-1200 yds and 7-8 TDs over a full season.

That?s just not true.
My wife is amazing!

dd

Hard no to Walker....he had one good year 6 seasons ago and has never regained that productivity. He wouldn't even make our starting lineup this year

the paw

Quote from: Jesse on November 26, 2022, 09:17:35 PM
That?s just not true.

2015 = 1100 and 6 TDs
2016 = 1589 and 10 TDs
2017 = 634 yds and 2 TDs over 8 games.
2018 = 875 yds and 8 TDs over 11 games
2019 = 1040 yds and 6 TDs

For the mathematically challenged, 634 over 8 games converts to over 1300 yds in a full season.  875 over 11 games converts to well over 1300 yds in a full season.

Don't like the conversion of partial seasons?  Add those yds up and divide by 5.  It still comes out to 1000 yds per season.

Stop playing silly bugger.
grab grass 'n growl

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: the paw on November 26, 2022, 06:59:46 PM
I was advocating for the Bombers to take a look at Walker before last year, using much the same logic.  But I think his malaise kind of continued this year, even though guys like Mitchell and Marshall were showing well.  There is a chance he could return to form, but its too risky IMHO.

I think Walker would be a decent option at the right price, he definitely perked up once Lawler went down with injury and the Elks brought in a couple of decent import receivers that are younger and cheaper.  I think he finally realized if he doesn't produce and improve his engagement, he will be replaced with a cheaper import.

Blue In BC

Always interesting to see who gets re-signed in what order. One decision often leads to an answer elsewhere one way or another. To some degree there is always a 1st come, 1st served as SMS is planned out.

Not everyone that deserves a raise is going to fit the plan.

I'd like to see some answers / signings with a few more of our Canadians at the top of my list of importance. Not discounting key imports but the roster starts with our Canadians.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_gold_84

Quote from: the paw on November 26, 2022, 09:34:43 PM
2015 = 1100 and 6 TDs
2016 = 1589 and 10 TDs
2017 = 634 yds and 2 TDs over 8 games.
2018 = 875 yds and 8 TDs over 11 games
2019 = 1040 yds and 6 TDs

For the mathematically challenged, 634 over 8 games converts to over 1300 yds in a full season.  875 over 11 games converts to well over 1300 yds in a full season.

Don't like the conversion of partial seasons?  Add those yds up and divide by 5.  It still comes out to 1000 yds per season.

Stop playing silly bugger.

Pretty hilarious comment considering you chose to omit his 2021 and 2022 stat lines.

The Bombers can do better than an aging Derel Walker.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on November 29, 2022, 02:01:03 PM
Pretty hilarious comment considering you chose to omit his 2021 and 2022 stat lines.

I agree I do not think Walker can be a fit here.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

the paw

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on November 29, 2022, 02:01:03 PM

Try to follow the thread of conversation.  The discussion was about whether Walker, after two down seasons, could return to form.  Someone asked what a return to form would look like and I mentioned his strong 5 year run.  Someone said that wasn't true, and I provided the data.  Q.e.d.

If you are going to weigh in, at least read the thread...
grab grass 'n growl

theaardvark

Ellingson was a great add in, for the price and leadership.  I don't think any of the other aging vets out there will be his combination of leadership and talent, most seem to be me-me-me hotdogs, talent, sure, but leadership/mentorship, no.

Lawler is certainly worth another big paycheck, and we won't be in the bidding for him...

We will lose some players again to the NFL, my concern is there may be some players, either current or potential, that are going to "stay home" and play in one of the new leagues.  I don't think we will be hurt by this as much as some teams will, but I can see it stunting the growth that we've been used to recently.  As much as the CFL gets NFL eyes on a player, XFL/USFL through nothing other than exposure and proximity, will get more.  I can see players foregoing the CFL bigger potential paychecks and longer career for that dream of an NFL shot.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pete

Ellingson was great in the first half of the season but once he got hurt wasnt the same. I was dissappoined in the playoff games where I was hoping his exxperience and talent would make a difference, Im not sure we resign him as we may want to use the $ towards a top younger reciever, (unless we can sign him for a lower cap hit)