Potential Bombers free agents 2023

Started by KINGCHARLES, November 21, 2022, 11:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on November 26, 2022, 12:47:00 AM
Our culture doesn't seem to mean we attract free agents. Last year we got Ellingson only after we were turned down again by Burnam. We were also looking for a quality db and only we're able to sign glass later in free agency. I do believe it helps in retaining players
As always it comes down to money.

Cash counts but a great culture and the chance of winning it all is attractive too, for veteran's testing F.A..

the paw

Quote from: Jesse on November 25, 2022, 03:58:04 PM
Probably one FA signing and one rookie - just like this past year.

This makes sense.

I looked at all the potential receivers going to free agency (recognizing that many of them will re-sign with their respective teams.  I ruled out guys who were in the twilight of their career (Burnham, Arceneaux, Darvin Adams, etc.). Then I weeded out guys who have zero chance of making it to free agency (Tim White, Dunbar, Eugene Lewis, Begelton, etc.). I then ruled out guys who I wouldn't want here (Duke Williams, Shaq Evans, Kamar Jorden, etc.)

Of what was left, I could see see 4 names that might possibly shake loose in free agency, could produce at a level comparable to Ellingson, and would not break the bank. 

1.  Kenny Lawler - He may want out of Edmonton after this year, and after the injury will not command the same crazy pricing.  Jones will try to reduce his salary for sure, and if he has to move, he may entertain the possibility of returning here.

2.  Reggie White - I think the Als will sign Lewis, and they will give Philpott a greater role in the offence.  if they also keep Weineke they may choose to keep Cole Speiker rather than hang on to Lewis.

3.  Jake Weineke - same as above, but Touchdown Jake didn't find the end zone too often this year, they may keep White and allow Jake to hit the market.

4.  Davarius Daniels - Gittens is going to continue to be the man in the Big Smoke.  If the Argos splash out big dollars for Bo Levi, they may want to save a little money here and keep Cam Phillips and Ambles over Daniels.

None of these options is super likely, but I think these are the kind of guys we would be on the lookout for. 
grab grass 'n growl

Blue In BC

Quote from: the paw on November 26, 2022, 02:42:18 AM
This makes sense.

I looked at all the potential receivers going to free agency (recognizing that many of them will re-sign with their respective teams.  I ruled out guys who were in the twilight of their career (Burnham, Arceneaux, Darvin Adams, etc.). Then I weeded out guys who have zero chance of making it to free agency (Tim White, Dunbar, Eugene Lewis, Begelton, etc.). I then ruled out guys who I wouldn't want here (Duke Williams, Shaq Evans, Kamar Jorden, etc.)

Of what was left, I could see see 4 names that might possibly shake loose in free agency, could produce at a level comparable to Ellingson, and would not break the bank. 

1.  Kenny Lawler - He may want out of Edmonton after this year, and after the injury will not command the same crazy pricing.  Jones will try to reduce his salary for sure, and if he has to move, he may entertain the possibility of returning here.

2.  Reggie White - I think the Als will sign Lewis, and they will give Philpott a greater role in the offence.  if they also keep Weineke they may choose to keep Cole Speiker rather than hang on to Lewis.

3.  Jake Weineke - same as above, but Touchdown Jake didn't find the end zone too often this year, they may keep White and allow Jake to hit the market.

4.  Davarius Daniels - Gittens is going to continue to be the man in the Big Smoke.  If the Argos splash out big dollars for Bo Levi, they may want to save a little money here and keep Cam Phillips and Ambles over Daniels.

None of these options is super likely, but I think these are the kind of guys we would be on the lookout for. 

Nobody would complain if we got Lawler back. However he was earning $300K in Edmonton. He may still end up as one of the top 3 paid receivers in the CFL. I don't know where I'd draw the line on thinking he's unaffordable. That's a factor of how much he gets and where we have to give up another player or players as a result.

We're going to need to increase salaries for Demski and Bailey already, so it's a tough financial decision in the receiving corps.

If we can keep them ( I expect we will ) and convince Schoen to return we'd be in good shape.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: the paw on November 26, 2022, 02:42:18 AM
This makes sense.

I am expecting Schoen to return at some point - though he's the type of person who seems to fins a way.

Lawler is still going to command big money. He had multiple ridiculous offers last year and will get them again. It's up to him whether he wants to take the highest amount possible or come back into the fold. But we'll be offering 100k less than other offers, at least.

Daniels is probably playing with Bo next season - wherever that may be.

White and Weineke are interesting. White is in a position where he might break out and outperform his next  contract.
My wife is amazing!

the paw

Quote from: Jesse on November 26, 2022, 02:34:34 PM
I am expecting Schoen to return at some point - though he's the type of person who seems to fins a way.

Lawler is still going to command big money. He had multiple ridiculous offers last year and will get them again. It's up to him whether he wants to take the highest amount possible or come back into the fold. But we'll be offering 100k less than other offers, at least.

Daniels is probably playing with Bo next season - wherever that may be.

White and Weineke are interesting. White is in a position where he might break out and outperform his next  contract.

I think Schoen's situation is comparable to Zylstra.  He had great production in the CFL and is young.  I think that he will find a way to stick, at least on a PR.  He may end up back in the CFL, but I don't think it will be in 2023.

I think Lawler's last contract was a bit of a perfect storm.  Jones was desperate for a long, tall receiver, and he was coming into camp with no starting QB on his SMS.  BC had Rourke on a ridiculously cheap contract, which gave them unusual latitude in the cap.  These two bidding each other up got to Lawler's unsustainable $300k.  I would say that now that the Elks have signed Cornelius to a longer term deal and Jones has (or should) realize he has other holes to fill on his roster, his offer to Lawler will be more in the $200k range.  As for BC, I am assuming Rourke goes to the NFL, and that BC will have to spend a normal amount on QBs this year.  Plus, almost their entire offensive line are coming up for contracts.  They also don't really have a need with the dominance of Rhymes and the emergence of Hatcher.  $200k may still be too pricey for the Bombers, but I think Lawler will end up in that vicinity.  I could be wrong though....
grab grass 'n growl

Jesse

Quote from: the paw on November 26, 2022, 03:01:10 PM
I think Schoen's situation is comparable to Zylstra.  He had great production in the CFL and is young.  I think that he will find a way to stick, at least on a PR.  He may end up back in the CFL, but I don't think it will be in 2023.

I think Lawler's last contract was a bit of a perfect storm.  Jones was desperate for a long, tall receiver, and he was coming into camp with no starting QB on his SMS.  BC had Rourke on a ridiculously cheap contract, which gave them unusual latitude in the cap.  These two bidding each other up got to Lawler's unsustainable $300k.  I would say that now that the Elks have signed Cornelius to a longer term deal and Jones has (or should) realize he has other holes to fill on his roster, his offer to Lawler will be more in the $200k range.  As for BC, I am assuming Rourke goes to the NFL, and that BC will have to spend a normal amount on QBs this year.  Plus, almost their entire offensive line are coming up for contracts.  They also don't really have a need with the dominance of Rhymes and the emergence of Hatcher.  $200k may still be too pricey for the Bombers, but I think Lawler will end up in that vicinity.  I could be wrong though....

Schoen isn't THAT young though. He'll be 27 when next year's NFL season starts which is a couple years older than Zylstra's attempt.

I can see him being gone for half the season and being a late cut.
My wife is amazing!

Lincoln Locomotive

I'd be surprised if Schoen doesn't make it in the NFL....he has a winning caliber personality to go with his skill set plus he is durable, albeit he may have missed a game or two at the end of the season.   He made some good receptions in the GC along with a TD reception,    A few throws by Zach were off or he may have had a few more big receptions,

He is a quality player with leadership attributes which will take him a long way in his career.    If for whatever reason he doesn't make it in the NFL he would likely want to return to Winnipeg however it's not always a slam dunk due to salary cap issues.....as much as I'd dearly love to see him back in Blue and Gold I can't see it happening.
Bomber fan for life

Pete

Another free agent wide reciever i think would be worth a look is Derel Walker. His lack of production last year may be partialy due to the team he was on.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on November 26, 2022, 05:00:46 PM
Another free agent wide reciever i think would be worth a look is Derel Walker. His lack of production last year may be partialy due to the team he was on.

He's another of the receivers that may be in the top 3 - 4 best paid receivers. Talent yes but might not be affordable. Would certainly not be opposed to speaking with his agent if he reaches free agency.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 26, 2022, 05:07:11 PM
He's another of the receivers that may be in the top 3 - 4 best paid receivers. Talent yes but might not be affordable. Would certainly not be opposed to speaking with his agent if he reaches free agency.
I'm not convinced he's the type of team first guy the Bombers are looking for.....yes he has ability but not sure he fits in with the FIFO culture of the team?   I could be wrong about that as it's only my impression of him
Bomber fan for life

GOLDMEMBER

Do not forget Schoen already tried making the NFL and failed. Do not know how many teams tried him out but he could not even scratch the surface down there.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

the paw

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 26, 2022, 05:49:36 PM
Do not forget Schoen already tried making the NFL and failed. Do not know how many teams tried him out but he could not even scratch the surface down there.

He made the practice roster 4x with 3 teams, although only for short stints.  But CFL game film is a better credential than a couple of practices.  Plus, he improved his game up here, learning to be a pro among other things.  I'm not saying he's a mortal lock, but his odds are better now I think.
grab grass 'n growl

Jesse

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 26, 2022, 05:49:36 PM

Everyone who's ever come to the CFL took their NFL shot first - doesn't matter in the slightest.

The hurdle for Shoen will be his age.
My wife is amazing!

the paw

Quote from: Pete on November 26, 2022, 05:00:46 PM

I was advocating for the Bombers to take a look at Walker before last year, using much the same logic.  But I think his malaise kind of continued this year, even though guys like Mitchell and Marshall were showing well.  There is a chance he could return to form, but its too risky IMHO.
grab grass 'n growl

Blue In BC

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on November 26, 2022, 05:15:42 PM
I'm not convinced he's the type of team first guy the Bombers are looking for.....yes he has ability but not sure he fits in with the FIFO culture of the team?   I could be wrong about that as it's only my impression of him

I agree with your comments but would still consider speaking with his agent and the player to discuss $$$$ and any concerns. I don't expect to see him as a Bomber but it is a remote possibiliy.
2019 Grey Cup Champions