Potential Bombers free agents 2023

Started by KINGCHARLES, November 21, 2022, 11:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckzumhoff

Id keep him another year. Id keep as many or all receivers. We got McRae . Agodosi Bailey Demski. Wolitarsky. And Shoen if he stays

Pigskin

Quote from: buckzumhoff on November 24, 2022, 04:00:21 AM
Id keep him another year. Id keep as many or all receivers. We got McRae . Agodosi Bailey Demski. Wolitarsky. And Shoen if he stays

That's if we can sign Bailey.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

theaardvark

Shoen has announced he is exploring NFL options... 

No surprise, wish him luck... and if not, a speedy return home here...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Big Daddy on November 24, 2022, 02:38:36 AM
I'm a bit surprised at the feeling in here of moving on from Ellingson.  Do people forget how he played in the first third of the season?  Yes he was injured for quite some time, but his salary against the cap is mitigated as a result. 

I know, I wouldn't want to stifle the opportunity of another to keep someone for the first few games only to lose them to injury.  In my mind, it really depends on the nature of the injury or injuries, how likely it is to occur again or be a hindrance moving forward, and the player's effort to rehab, etc. 

If this was a freak injury, and he is likely to be back full strength and not questionable, based on how he made us forget about the loss of Lawler (and he most certainly did that), I would want him back for sure.

I'm fine with Ellingson returning for another year, I wasn't keen on his initial signing but he convinced me he was still a top level CFL receiver with his play this past season.  If the Bomber staff and Zach want him back, it's good to go. Can never blame a player for getting injured, but on the bright side he'll be fresh for next season and he can't ask for a pay increase.  Schoen wouldn't have had nearly as many receptions as he did had Ellingson remained healthy.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on November 24, 2022, 01:41:07 PM
Shoen has announced he is exploring NFL options... 

No surprise, wish him luck... and if not, a speedy return home here...

Yeah, he deserves a shot in the NFL. He's a quality receiver. That said we've seen other top CFL receivers get TC offers and not many have made it past TC.  Not sure why that happens but the NFL is hit and miss on the signings of top CFL players.

What determines landing that spot is finding the right team / situation and / or getting some up front money. Otherwise he may bounce around various PR's all of 2023.

At best we won't see him back until LD if he returns at all.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

3rdand1.5

We will need two high caliber receivers next year.

Schoen will be in the NFL
Ellingson is too broken..IMO

Those two need to be replaced and are basically our #1 and #2 receiver, so we need a quality #1 and #2 to replace them with.

IMO Demski is still great in his roll, Bailey if he comes back is good in his roll, and while it's an important role he IMO cannot fill a #1 or #2 receiver spot he is a grit guy, Woli is perfect where he is BOO is a great project but not ready to bump Woli or Demski yet, Mc Crea showed flashes but ids a gadget player, ditto to Grant as a receiver. Agadosi showed very well, but has some major injury/durability concerns.

Not sure who hits FA but we need a Lawler caliber plus one more higher end guy or we roll with a gamble on Ellingson again if the price is right for the number 2, and if a new guy or Agadusi earns it over him then it's a great problem to have.

dd

not sure if shoen will make the NFL, there's lots of competition down south. Ellingson was invisible when he came back from his injury, we need impact recievers and I'd be going after Lawler again to see if he wants to take a run at the Grey Cup next year, he won't be doing that in edmonton.

Blue In BC

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on November 24, 2022, 05:26:08 PM
We will need two high caliber receivers next year.

Schoen will be in the NFL
Ellingson is too broken..IMO

Those two need to be replaced and are basically our #1 and #2 receiver, so we need a quality #1 and #2 to replace them with.

IMO Demski is still great in his roll, Bailey if he comes back is good in his roll, and while it's an important role he IMO cannot fill a #1 or #2 receiver spot he is a grit guy, Woli is perfect where he is BOO is a great project but not ready to bump Woli or Demski yet, Mc Crea showed flashes but ids a gadget player, ditto to Grant as a receiver. Agadosi showed very well, but has some major injury/durability concerns.

Not sure who hits FA but we need a Lawler caliber plus one more higher end guy or we roll with a gamble on Ellingson again if the price is right for the number 2, and if a new guy or Agadusi earns it over him then it's a great problem to have.

There will be some good players available but signing free agents can be very expensive. Would love Lawler back but he's not going to come cheap. Some of the players on our roster are going to get raises. Collaros has already and Demski among others will get more.

No telling how much is left to sign any free agents. Depends on who we lose and how it balances out cost versus need.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

buckzumhoff

With Shoen going then should be easy to sign the others.dont want other teams signing them im sure some team will offer more money good to sign them early

Blue In BC

Quote from: buckzumhoff on November 24, 2022, 05:32:47 PM
With Shoen going then should be easy to sign the others.dont want other teams signing them im sure some team will offer more money good to sign them early

Why? Schoen would have been on an ELC deal. He performed at an all star level. We can't replace him with a veteran at that low SMS hit. In that sense it will have zero impact in freeing up money elsewhere across the roster.

If you meant not re-signing Ellingson that might free up enough SMS to sign an equivalent receiver in the same price range.

Can't recall how much the SMS goes up in 2023. However IIRC the ELC level goes up $5K-$10K which will take a bite out of SMS elsewhere. The Global players also get more and a player like Hansen will be free market price.

So something has to give. Where that will be starts with who retires ( saving SMS ) or the team chooses to not re-sign or negotiates lower deals with some players.

We'll get a pretty good idea of the direction the team is taking not too far in the future. Some $$$ info will be available and we can compare what went up or down.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Probably one FA signing and one rookie - just like this past year.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

I don't think we will have an issue at WR, we won't need to break the bank on a "proven" CFL vet.  Agudosi is still under contract, and our scouts have been very good at finding the next one.  And, no doubt, there will be another Ellingson we pick up... might even be Ellingson.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Donny C

Quote from: theaardvark on November 22, 2022, 04:39:22 PM
While we might get "Lawler'd" on a couple players, I fear retirement more than defection in this offseason. 

Maybe losing the GC and having "unfinished business" as a rallying cry, we might have a better off season resigning players...

I expect many to re-sign and I will say why in my upcoming article.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on November 25, 2022, 10:19:24 PM
I don't think we will have an issue at WR, we won't need to break the bank on a "proven" CFL vet.  Agudosi is still under contract, and our scouts have been very good at finding the next one.  And, no doubt, there will be another Ellingson we pick up... might even be Ellingson.

Agudosi has played less than 2 complete games before another injury. He could be a good receiver but it's not quite certain yet. He'll be 29 before next TC. Not necessarily that either of those will be issues.

But before you jump on the bandwagon of how good our scouts are finding the next one, consider how many were looked at in TC and beyond in 2021 and 2022 that are long gone. Grant and McCrae both had to start at receiver for a few games this year.

We could find the next Schoen in TC or he might return for 2023.  Or we could have a revolving door as we had 2017-2019 seasons.

Bomber culture may bring free agents to Winnipeg so that's a distinct advantage.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

Our culture doesn't seem to mean we attract free agents. Last year we got Ellingson only after we were turned down again by Burnam. We were also looking for a quality db and only we're able to sign glass later in free agency. I do believe it helps in retaining players
As always it comes down to money.