Potential Bombers free agents 2023

Started by KINGCHARLES, November 21, 2022, 11:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KINGCHARLES

Does anyone have a list of potential free agents for 2023?
BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS

Pigskin

Apparently, the Bombers have already signed a number of FAs. I would think they will be announced soon.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

blue_or_die

Even though our annual FA thread is always entertaining, I know better than to check it before the end of January since it's largely speculative (in the sense of not knowing who has a deal done at a moment's notice, who's working on a deal at the time, etc.). It's the CFL so 75% of players are FAs right now and a huge chunk of them will be locked up soon.
#Ride?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Bomber Free Agents according to 3Down Nation:

Quarterback

Dakota Prukop (A)

Running back

None

Fullback

Mike Miller (N)

Receiver

Rasheed Bailey (A)
Nic Demski (N)
Greg Ellingson (A)
Janarion Grant (A)

Offensive line

Stanley Bryant (A)
Michael Couture (N)
Jermarcus Hardrick (A)
Patrick Neufeld (N)

Defensive line

Keion Adams (A)
Jackson Jeffcoat (A)
Willie Jefferson (A)
Casey Sayles (A)
Jake Thomas (N)

Linebacker

Adam Bighill (A)
Jesse Briggs (N)
Shayne Gauthier (N)
Les Maruo (G)
Kyrie Wilson (A)

Defensive back

Alden Darby (A)
Desmond Lawrence (A)
Mercy Maston (A)
Winston Rose (A)
Nick Taylor (A)

Kicker

None

Long snapper

Mike Benson (N)

A number of players finished the season on the practice roster, including American receiver Jaivon Heiligh, Global receiver Timothy Knuettel, American receiver Greg McCrae, Canadian receiver Luke McMillan, American offensive lineman Eric Lofton, American offensive lineman Tyler Witt, American linebacker DeJaun Cooper, Global defensive back Souleymane Karamoko, Canadian defensive back Cedric Lavigne, American defensive back Donald Rutledge Jr., and American kicker Ali Mourtada. As such, they are currently free agents.

theaardvark

While we might get "Lawler'd" on a couple players, I fear retirement more than defection in this offseason. 

Maybe losing the GC and having "unfinished business" as a rallying cry, we might have a better off season resigning players...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on November 22, 2022, 04:39:22 PM
While we might get "Lawler'd" on a couple players, I fear retirement more than defection in this offseason. 

Maybe losing the GC and having "unfinished business" as a rallying cry, we might have a better off season resigning players...

Oh god, not unfinished business again!

Players who I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they retired:
Greg Ellingson
Stanley Bryant
Patrick Neufeld
Jake Thomas
Mercy Maston
Mike Miller
Mike Benson
Nick Taylor

Players who are probably worth less than their current contract:
Winston Rose
Jackson Jeffcoat

Players who probably need raises in order to stay:
Janarion Grant
Rasheed Bailey
Shayne Gauthier

Stretch

Quote from: theaardvark on November 22, 2022, 04:39:22 PM

I hope our marketing department doesn't dig that one up. Didn't go so well last time.
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

Pigskin

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on November 22, 2022, 05:17:14 PM

Greg Ellingson
Stanley Bryant
Patrick Neufeld
Jake Thomas
Mercy Maston
Mike Miller
Mike Benson
Nick Taylor

Winston Rose
Jackson Jeffcoat

Janarion Grant
Rasheed Bailey
Shayne Gauthier

I think Bryant, Neufled, Benson and Miller, stay another year. Neufled and Benson both were very healthy this year.

Rose had a tough season but hearing he had some foot issues for most of the season. JJ missed far too many games. JT95 was another player that had a tough year.

Gauthier, Grant and Bailey will all get a bump in pay.

ND10 is in for a long-term deal, and CS90 will also get a nice bump in pay. GC game 6 DTs and 1 sack.

SC90 had a very good year with 36 DTs, 6 sacks, and 2 FF. Add on another 9 DTs and 1 sack in the playoffs.

GOLDMEMBER

Please scrap the Unfinished Business thing. I did not work before it will not work again. Brings up to many disappointments. Dumb idea.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Pigskin

Maruo quietly had a pretty decent season. 21 tackles. 14DTs  7STs. Good global fine.

the paw

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on November 22, 2022, 05:17:14 PM

Greg Ellingson
Stanley Bryant
Patrick Neufeld
Jake Thomas
Mercy Maston
Mike Miller
Mike Benson
Nick Taylor

Winston Rose
Jackson Jeffcoat

Janarion Grant
Rasheed Bailey
Shayne Gauthier

In your first grouping, I think the WBB should move on from Ellingson, he just wasn't healthy enough this year.  I think Neufeld probably plays again, and I would put Bryant's odds on retirement at 50-50.  I think the club will move on from Jake Thomas.  With the "part-time" starter tweak to the ratio, I can see the Bombers platooning Lawson with Ricky Walker at DT and saving a few shekels. the others will either retire or simply not offered contracts.

I agree that Rose has not looked as good this year as in previous years.  I think he might get into camp, but they might also let him walk.  With the return of Houston and the emergence of Parker and Lawrence, he will be in tough to stick.  I disagree on Jeffcoat.  I think he is highly effective when he plays, and I am sure he will be back.  I don't know about his contract leverage, but I don't think he will have to take a haircut. 

I love Janarion Grant, but I don't think returners get big dollars unless they can play on offence, and that hasn't happened yet.  I expect him back.  I don't know if Bailey needs a huge raise, but I could see him getting a larger role in the offence if they move on from Ellingson.  Gauthier wasn't expensive to start with, so a decent raise should still make him affordable. 
grab grass 'n growl

Big Daddy

I'm a bit surprised at the feeling in here of moving on from Ellingson.  Do people forget how he played in the first third of the season?  Yes he was injured for quite some time, but his salary against the cap is mitigated as a result. 

I know, I wouldn't want to stifle the opportunity of another to keep someone for the first few games only to lose them to injury.  In my mind, it really depends on the nature of the injury or injuries, how likely it is to occur again or be a hindrance moving forward, and the player's effort to rehab, etc. 

If this was a freak injury, and he is likely to be back full strength and not questionable, based on how he made us forget about the loss of Lawler (and he most certainly did that), I would want him back for sure.

the paw

Quote from: Big Daddy on November 24, 2022, 02:38:36 AM
I'm a bit surprised at the feeling in here of moving on from Ellingson.  Do people forget how he played in the first third of the season?  Yes he was injured for quite some time, but his salary against the cap is mitigated as a result. 

I know, I wouldn't want to stifle the opportunity of another to keep someone for the first few games only to lose them to injury.  In my mind, it really depends on the nature of the injury or injuries, how likely it is to occur again or be a hindrance moving forward, and the player's effort to rehab, etc. 

If this was a freak injury, and he is likely to be back full strength and not questionable, based on how he made us forget about the loss of Lawler (and he most certainly did that), I would want him back for sure.

I loved Ellingson's start to the season.  But he turns 34 next month, and he played less than half the season with a recurring hip injury.  He also missed 4/14 games in 2021.  Those are all bad signs.

If Schoen was coming back, then I might be more willing to roll the dice.  But Schoen is going to get an NFL offer, and the offence will need a proven and  reliable #1/#2 receiver to go with Demski.
grab grass 'n growl

dd

Times up on ellingson, he ll be hurt for a portion of next season as well. We need someone  who doesn?t get hurt as much and can produce at a high level, there will be lots available in free agency