I think I'm ok

Started by blue_or_die, November 21, 2022, 02:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_or_die

I haven't been around as a superfan for nearly as long as some of you but I can say that for the majority of my superfandom the Bombers have absolutely stunk.

I threw a modest Grey Cup party yesterday and once everyone was leaving (shortly after the clock hit 0:00...couldn't bear to watch any ceremonies and had overtired kiddos), as I walked up the stairs it occurred to me that every year for....15/16+ years I either host or attend some sort of GC party, and that faaaarrrr more often than not, not only were the Bombers not playing in that game, but they missed the playoffs and were never even in the conversation of being contenders. What a wild ride of having 3 seasons in a row, hosting that party with the Bombers in the game! My rec room is a complete disaster and it was so much fun regardless of the outcome.

I hate the way it was played and the way it ended but man this regime is an absolute treat to watch, not just per game, but seasons strung together. The hot July games baking in the sun on a Friday night to the raw, frozen hands clapping as we host playoff games in November at IGF. This is still far and away the golden years of my fandom.

The best part: before this winning streak, our other GC appearances in 2007 and 2011 (both losses) were followed by so much hope going into the next year and then in both 2008 and 2012 we fell FLAT on our faces for years afterward. This time, I think it's different. No way the Mafia accepts losing and they will be right back to work ensuring that my party next year is made extra special by the Bombers being in it again.

Anyway, I normally find it kind of annoying when people make threads following a loss of "well that sucked but we should all be grateful" but I just had to get this off my chest to explain why I'm feeling oddly fine today. If anything, I am sad now only because Bomber season is over and we have to wait another 6 months through the cold long winter without them.

I guess winning in 2019 and then in 2021 really broke the jadedness for me, and I'm happy that I can enjoy being a fan on a more sane and level-headed way now that we are perennial contenders and not the embarrassment of the league.

Thanks for another incredible season!!!
#Ride?

GOLDMEMBER

Awesome post man, I could not agree more. Heck I just saw the 2 time defending champions in the game live. What a great experience this all was. Saskatchewan can eat our shorts now for quite some time. :D

No more Blue Bomber football is never a good thing. Cannot wait till next year.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

jdrattops

Quote from: blue_or_die on November 21, 2022, 02:13:26 PM
I haven't been around as a superfan for nearly as long as some of you but I can say that for the majority of my superfandom the Bombers have absolutely stunk.

I threw a modest Grey Cup party yesterday and once everyone was leaving (shortly after the clock hit 0:00...couldn't bear to watch any ceremonies and had overtired kiddos), as I walked up the stairs it occurred to me that every year for....15/16+ years I either host or attend some sort of GC party, and that faaaarrrr more often than not, not only were the Bombers not playing in that game, but they missed the playoffs and were never even in the conversation of being contenders. What a wild ride of having 3 seasons in a row, hosting that party with the Bombers in the game! My rec room is a complete disaster and it was so much fun regardless of the outcome.

I hate the way it was played and the way it ended but man this regime is an absolute treat to watch, not just per game, but seasons strung together. The hot July games baking in the sun on a Friday night to the raw, frozen hands clapping as we host playoff games in November at IGF. This is still far and away the golden years of my fandom.

The best part: before this winning streak, our other GC appearances in 2007 and 2011 (both losses) were followed by so much hope going into the next year and then in both 2008 and 2012 we fell FLAT on our faces for years afterward. This time, I think it's different. No way the Mafia accepts losing and they will be right back to work ensuring that my party next year is made extra special by the Bombers being in it again.

Anyway, I normally find it kind of annoying when people make threads following a loss of "well that sucked but we should all be grateful" but I just had to get this off my chest to explain why I'm feeling oddly fine today. If anything, I am sad now only because Bomber season is over and we have to wait another 6 months through the cold long winter without them.

I guess winning in 2019 and then in 2021 really broke the jadedness for me, and I'm happy that I can enjoy being a fan on a more sane and level-headed way now that we are perennial contenders and not the embarrassment of the league.

Thanks for another incredible season!!!

Thanks for starting this, i was thinking the same thing just didn?t post it.  Though this one stings, the sting faded away quickly for me.  Great season, great team, great regime, and the fact that they are all pissed right now from losing will make next year a great one too.  I have no doubt this team wins a few more under O?Shea/Walters/Miller, now lets just get O?Shea extended.

Stretch

Good post. I'm obviously bummed about the result, but 2019 and 2021 both take some of the sting away. If it had been 10 years or more since our last GC win then it would be a different story.
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

Jesse

I am super bummed because there were so many opportunities to grab the victory and we just couldn?t do it.

But last night and on the drive hope, most of what we?re talking about is how next season we have the opportunity to be even better.

So here?s to 16-2 and three Cups in four years.
My wife is amazing!

Pete

I just want to echo these statements... we've got to watch this team win 2 grey cups and go to a third.... keeping us entertained the entire time. The third would have been great but to tell you the truth i dont feel bummed out as I'd thought I be. More like grateful for all the great performances we've seen and felt a part of! Bring on 2023.

Pigskin

We are also disappointed because the game was there for us to win. But as I told the kids after the game, no team in any sport can stay the champions forever.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on November 21, 2022, 03:00:13 PM
I am super bummed because there were so many opportunities to grab the victory and we just couldn?t do it.

But last night and on the drive hope, most of what we?re talking about is how next season we have the opportunity to be even better.

So here?s to 16-2 and three Cups in four years.
Here freaking Here!!!!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

buckzumhoff

Should have had it after the punt return. Just needed to make a few first downs but called a few bad plays . still could have done it in  the last few secs but underthrew a pass where prob someone else was open

drahgon

Quote from: Stretch on November 21, 2022, 02:44:44 PM
Good post. I'm obviously bummed about the result, but 2019 and 2021 both take some of the sting away. If it had been 10 years or more since our last GC win then it would be a different story.

This especially^ If this loss was in 2019 to extend the drought I'd be seething mad, especially losing by only 1. However, since the Bombers just won 2 in a row, by 10:00pm last night I was over it and happy with another great season of football. 

theaardvark

Losing in an exciting, but error filled game is a downer, for sure.  This is not a prototypical MOS Bomber game by any stretch.

Not sure why, not sure is the Collaros health issue made them make the errors, or if there were other health issues we don't know about, but regardless, we lost by a point on a blocked FG attempt.

This was not a blowout, or a reason to panic.

Errors were made, we have an offseason to address them and prevent it from happening again.

And then continue our dominance and start a new GC streak.

"Unfinished business" is not a bad motivator for the 2023 season...

Hopefully we keep this core together, and cobble in a few new pieces.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

John T.

I feel the same way.

I've been a Bomber fan since 1971, and have seen more than my share of disappointments, and I have to say, yesterday's loss hurt a lot less than any other Grey Cup loss they've had since I've been watching.

Maybe it's because they'd won the last two. Maybe it's because, realistically, they're still likely to be very, very good for at least another couple of years. Sometimes bad things just happen, all at once, in a single game, and yesterday was one of those. It reminded me a lot of the game against Montreal during the season.

Disappointing, yes...heartbreaking? Nah.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on November 21, 2022, 03:00:13 PM

Agreed. So many opportunities to run away with that game and they faltered repeatedly.

What irks me most is that it had to be a loss to the Argonauts. That franchise sickens me.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Sir Blue and Gold

I'm totally fine! We lost but have gone to 3 Grey Cups, winning the first two. If you define your Bomber happiness on only winning Grey Cups you're going to be angry more often than not. Only one team can win and it's not always the best team. Ah well. We have another fantastic year to look forward to next year.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on November 21, 2022, 05:33:25 PM
I'm totally fine! We lost but have gone to 3 Grey Cups, winning the first two. If you define your Bomber happiness on only winning Grey Cups you're going to be angry more often than not. Only one team can win and it's not always the best team. Ah well. We have another fantastic year to look forward to next year.

I'm not really shocked they lost as I always considered it a possibility, but the mad ride yesterday kept indicating they were going to find a way to pull it out of the fire once again, so the end result is disappointing.