Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg vs Toronto Grey Cup November 20, 2022

Started by ModAdmin, November 19, 2022, 05:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on November 21, 2022, 11:18:46 AM
Brady was our best player on offence and on that last second and 5 I was yelling "run the ball".   Instead a pass knockdown and we kick from 47....still makeable however the Argos made a play and we were denied a 3rd straight Cup.   We were moving the ball well on the ground on that last drive after we blocked their FG attempt....we'll never know and instead we get to spend the off season wondering what could have been.   
The turning point was Bethel Thompson getting injured and Kelly taking them down the field the way he did....especially on that 2nd and 15 conversion where he escaped the pressure and ran for 20.   

I think some of Kelly's success had to do with JJ94 injury. Walker had Kelly but couldn't wrap him up. CS90 had a very good game with 6 DTs and 1 sack. Thomas and Lawson, missing in action expect for a roughing penalty.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pete

To me what i think was a big issue was Collaris's injury.,,, not because it hampered him physically but but because of the distractions it caused. Because of all the media attention, instead of focusing on beating the argos,  his focus was on being able to play versus what he had to do to win. The execution of the offence was weak.and not being able to practice as part of the routine as may have affected this.,
A secondary factor was play calling I cant understand the use of Prukop. His strength is in running on second and less than 4. Having him throw deep balls into double coverage was a complete failure. When he saw the coverage he needed to tuck the ball and make as much yards as he could. Putting Zac in 2nd and long was a recipe for problems.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on November 21, 2022, 02:08:39 PM
I think some of Kelly's success had to do with JJ94 injury. Walker had Kelly but couldn't wrap him up. CS90 had a very good game with 6 DTs and 1 sack. Thomas and Lawson, missing in action expect for a roughing penalty.

The interior of our DL was not great all year. Depth at DE was never really addressed. That seemed clear in TC and from day one. Injuries to Taylor, Houston and Wilson just added other problems to modify our overall defensive plans.

You can't always find the next Richardson or Jeffcoat to add to a roster but we didn't seem to be looking. That bothered me all year.

Regardless we had a great season and came within a blocker FG of a possible win.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 21, 2022, 03:45:31 PM
The interior of our DL was not great all year. Depth at DE was never really addressed. That seemed clear in TC and from day one. Injuries to Taylor, Houston and Wilson just added other problems to modify our overall defensive plans.

You can't always find the next Richardson or Jeffcoat to add to a roster but we didn't seem to be looking. That bothered me all year.

Regardless we had a great season and came within a blocker FG of a possible win.

Let's not forget Hansen.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on November 21, 2022, 03:53:36 PM
Let's not forget Hansen.

I didn't and he added some depth but not really enough IMO. He was best on ST's and we missed him there after his injury.

I don't know who we will lose on the front 7 in free agency and / or by choice. Hopefully we can improve the depth of our DI's next TC.

Sayles, Walker, Thomas and Lawson are all potential free agents. Most of our secondary and LB's as well.

Free agency and adjusting to new SMS hits to re-sign some players means there will be changes. The who and where will be the thing to watch.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 21, 2022, 03:45:31 PM

Agreed, the depth of the D-line was sadly exposed yesterday, after Jeffcoat went down the cupboard was bare and there was no one left to replace him or to give Willie a break.  Chad Kelly may not have been given the time to accomplish anything yesterday if the D-line was kept fresh through rotation as it was in 2019 and 2021.

It has been a looming roster issue all season, they lost Stove and Kongbo in the off-season and did not find adequate replacements, then they lost Hansen and Jeffcoat for much of the season, they tried Mack and Wilcots who only made an impact in the last game he played, before being traded to the Ti-Cats.  They brought in Adams from Sask. who has yet to show he belongs and was unable to even dress today, It's a fail in the personnel dept. but an area that can definitely be upgraded in the off-season.  On a positive note Lawson and Sayles established themselves well this season and should definitely be brought back next season as key pieces.

theaardvark

I guess Prukop throwing was a tendency breaker. 

I think Buck got a little ahead of himself this came, and got caught.

This was a game to "Keep It Simple". 

We got a little too fancy at times, and going 2 and out too many times.

The D was good, until Kelly got in and they had no answer.

ST was good, TD return, blocked FG... a little loose on a few covers, but generally good.

The O, sorry, but I think the blame is on the entire O, top to bottom.  The Oline, did they get some bad sushi last night?  Hardrick whiffing completely on that scak cannot happen.  You take the inside guy, every lineman lives by that.  Should BO20 have picked him up?  Maybe.  But you cannot depend on that.  We gave up the fewest sacks on the year, and 4 in the GC. 

Was Zach injured to the point of changing the gameplan enough that we were not properly prepared or adjusted?  We will never know, because MOS would never through Zach or Buck under the bus.

But that's my take.  Zach needed more straight drop backs with jumbo team blocking and fast reads to 88, 83, 82, 2... with dump offs to 20 if everyone is covered.  20 on first down, drop back on 2nd. 

Not a complex game plan...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Pierce went too deep into his playbook last night on a few occasions, IMO. And at really inopportune times.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on November 21, 2022, 05:06:06 PM
I guess Prukop throwing was a tendency breaker. 

I think Buck got a little ahead of himself this came, and got caught.

This was a game to "Keep It Simple". 

We got a little too fancy at times, and going 2 and out too many times.

The D was good, until Kelly got in and they had no answer.

ST was good, TD return, blocked FG... a little loose on a few covers, but generally good.

The O, sorry, but I think the blame is on the entire O, top to bottom.  The Oline, did they get some bad sushi last night?  Hardrick whiffing completely on that scak cannot happen.  You take the inside guy, every lineman lives by that.  Should BO20 have picked him up?  Maybe.  But you cannot depend on that.  We gave up the fewest sacks on the year, and 4 in the GC. 

Was Zach injured to the point of changing the gameplan enough that we were not properly prepared or adjusted?  We will never know, because MOS would never through Zach or Buck under the bus.

But that's my take.  Zach needed more straight drop backs with jumbo team blocking and fast reads to 88, 83, 82, 2... with dump offs to 20 if everyone is covered.  20 on first down, drop back on 2nd. 

Not a complex game plan...

Jumbo team was out there quite regularly, this is a page Buck borrowed from the Ti-Cat playbook that was rarely seen last season.  This setup reduces the receiver group by one, meaning better protection but fewer targets downfield and with the tendency to look for longer passes that Zach embraces, it's more difficult to get open against Zone defences.  Woli, Demski and Bailey were not utilized effectively on short to mid range patterns, these 3 players should have been  difference makers.  I would suggest Buck go back to what served served them so well in the past, home runs work well against weaker teams but a D like the Argos with a strong pass rush aren't going to allow enough time for longer routes to develop.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 21, 2022, 06:16:43 PM
Jumbo team was out there quite regularly, this is a page Buck borrowed from the Ti-Cat playbook that was rarely seen last season.  This setup reduces the receiver group by one, meaning better protection but fewer targets downfield and with the tendency to look for longer passes that Zach embraces, it's more difficult to get open against Zone defences.  Woli, Demski and Bailey were not utilized effectively on short to mid range patterns, these 3 players should have been  difference makers.  I would suggest Buck go back to what served served them so well in the past, home runs work well against weaker teams but a D like the Argos with a strong pass rush aren't going to allow enough time for longer routes to develop.

I think the Jumbo was used primarily for running plays... I think it would have been better utilized for passing...

Quick hitters, checkdown to B, there are so many plays that we did not use.  Have to wonder if Zach's ankle precluded a lot of quick passes.  Does his injury mean he has to set up better?  Is there a lack of strength in his stance because the plant foot is weak?

We will never know what influenced the playcalling, but I really think that the injury influenced the play calling (and personnel packages), and I think that this is a learning experience for Buck in dealing with these things and coming up with an effective solution. He certainly has found out what won't work...  I think the O floundering comes down to an inexperienced OC in a new situation.

Again, not placing the blame on anyone, it was a team loss.  Just suggesting that this loss isn't as bad if we manage to learn from it for next time.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on November 21, 2022, 06:47:43 PM
I think the Jumbo was used primarily for running plays... I think it would have been better utilized for passing...

Quick hitters, checkdown to B, there are so many plays that we did not use.  Have to wonder if Zach's ankle precluded a lot of quick passes.  Does his injury mean he has to set up better?  Is there a lack of strength in his stance because the plant foot is weak?

We will never know what influenced the playcalling, but I really think that the injury influenced the play calling (and personnel packages), and I think that this is a learning experience for Buck in dealing with these things and coming up with an effective solution. He certainly has found out what won't work...  I think the O floundering comes down to an inexperienced OC in a new situation.

Again, not placing the blame on anyone, it was a team loss.  Just suggesting that this loss isn't as bad if we manage to learn from it for next time.

All true.

Here's another one that may have hurt us. MBT getting injured causing Kelly to enter the game. It's possible MBT also drives for a TD but normally forcing the # 2 QB into the game is a good thing for the defence. I doubt MBT runs 20 yards for a 1st down. He may have found an open receiver or been forced to try a FG attempt.

That score was the difference in the game.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 21, 2022, 07:37:05 PM
All true.

Here's another one that may have hurt us. MBT getting injured causing Kelly to enter the game. It's possible MBT also drives for a TD but normally forcing the # 2 QB into the game is a good thing for the defence. I doubt MBT runs 20 yards for a 1st down. He may have found an open receiver or been forced to try a FG attempt.

That score was the difference in the game.

The team was holding MBT to minimal damage.  They weren't ready to Kelly, who is a dynamically different QB to MBT.  Hall usually makes those adjustments, but somehow was slow to correct.

You might say, the QB getting injured might have been the best thing for the Argos.  The team rallies behind the backup...   

BBRT

Finally back in Calgary from the game (and more to the point Moosejaw). I was with two of our Saskatchewan clients and sit with them. There were Bomber fans around us and even two Argo fans. My only comment of value was that it was a great game to watch - a great place to watch a game and great company all around where we sit. I am disappointed naturally however I am confident we will retool and be back next year.

It is always a great year to be a Bomber Fan! Now back to work for the balance of the year before heading off to warmer climates for a long winter break. Taking 3 weeks vacation down to Belize in Jan but have internet access so will keep on top of things.

Pigskin

Quote from: theaardvark on November 21, 2022, 07:55:24 PM
The team was holding MBT to minimal damage.  They weren't ready to Kelly, who is a dynamically different QB to MBT.  Hall usually makes those adjustments, but somehow was slow to correct.

You might say, the QB getting injured might have been the best thing for the Argos.  The team rallies behind the backup...   

JJ94 getting hurt didn't help. He was having a pretty good game. 

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Pigskin on November 21, 2022, 10:34:15 PM
JJ94 getting hurt didn't help. He was having a pretty good game. 
yeah he might have gotten to Kelly for the sack instead of a 20 yard pickup and critical first down!   Walker had him but Kelly to his credit was elusive as hell and more explosive than MBT.    .   
Bomber fan for life