BLM traded to the Ti-Cats

Started by The Zipp, November 14, 2022, 05:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Zipp

So i guess he can sign there if he wants as a free agent...

Good move for the Ti-Cats I suppose...

The Zipp

BREAKING: Hearing that the
@Ticats
have traded for the rights to
@calstampeders
QB Bo Levi Mitchell. #CFL #Stamps #Ticats

Ridermania

M.O.A.B.

Riders should trade for Vernon Adams. He's not an elite QB but at least he's better than nothing. Fajardo will play backup somewhere.

Blue In BC

Well it gives them the 1st chance to work out a new deal before free agency. Whether they are successful or not we'll see but a lot of things may change before then. Some reports suggested that MBT might retire in Toronto and BLM might prefer that choice.

In any case what did the TiCats give up in exchange for those rights? I suppose it will be contingent on him signing.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

bwiser

I am not sorry to see Mitchell leave the division. I think he still has a lot left in the tank. Hamilton is a decent team that had inconsistent quarterbacking and that will be solved if they can get Mitchell signed.

3rdand1.5

Interesting, I guessed that is where he would land, we shall see.

theaardvark

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on November 14, 2022, 06:15:25 PM
Conditional picks?

Yes. The east division will have an interesting free agency period. I think Harris, MBT and possibly Masoli are all potential free agents. Could be some musical chairs going on with teams deciding what to do.

Lions, Riders and Elks might want or need to address QB needs.

I thought BLM would end up with the Argos and that could still happen. If Rourke goes to NFL, the Lions may enter the picture of his interests?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 14, 2022, 05:29:49 PM
Well it gives them the 1st chance to work out a new deal before free agency. Whether they are successful or not we'll see but a lot of things may change before then. Some reports suggested that MBT might retire in Toronto and BLM might prefer that choice.

I don't get this, it's not like MBT has accomplished anything yet.  He gets awfully worked up about football, for it not to mean anything to him.

BlueInCgy

A bit surprised it's so soon, but I guess it gives him plenty of time to negotiate.  Seems like an announcement that would normally be made after the GC though.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 14, 2022, 06:42:52 PM
I don't get this, it's not like MBT has accomplished anything yet.  He gets awfully worked up about football, for it not to mean anything to him.

He's 34, apparently has business interests outside of football and is already wealthy.

Football is hard.
My wife is amazing!

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 14, 2022, 05:29:49 PM

In any case what did the TiCats give up in exchange for those rights? I suppose it will be contingent on him signing.

Naylor suggested it was a safe bet that BLM signs with Hammy.

It's a good spot for him.
My wife is amazing!

Norm W

This is more about Calgary getting something for Bo before he leaves for FA than it is about Hamilton landing him. It gives Hamilton an opportunity to sign him ahead of anybody else but that's about it, the winner in this news story is the Stamps... assuming its not contingent on BLM actually signing they literally got something for nothing, BLM wasn't staying in Calgary.
No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire :)

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on November 14, 2022, 07:00:52 PM
Naylor suggested it was a safe bet that BLM signs with Hammy.

Makes the most sense, IMO. The Ti-Cats have a pretty solid roster and Mitchell would provide a strong veteran presence.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

The Zipp

#Stamps receive a 3rd round draft pick for BLM. If he signs with #TiCats the teams will also swap 1st round picks (Stamps currently pick 6th, TiCats 4th) & Stamps would also receive add?l future considerations.
My understanding is a deal with TiCats is not imminent. @cflontsn

From Twitter

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on November 14, 2022, 07:00:52 PM

Ya, I think everyone can see that HAM is a great fit for BLM.  They generally have good OLs there and a great organization overall.  However, I don't think this will make HAM or BLM much better.  Both will suffer next year.  But the appearance of doing something helps the club.

Now, where does this mean Evans will go?  Back to backup status?  He's useless as SY guy.  One would think he'd be eyeing a move, though he seems to like he "beta" role so he might stay, at a pauper's pay rate.
Never go full Rider!

BlueInCgy

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 14, 2022, 08:45:24 PM
Ya, I think everyone can see that HAM is a great fit for BLM.  They generally have good OLs there and a great organization overall.  However, I don't think this will make HAM or BLM much better.  Both will suffer next year.  But the appearance of doing something helps the club.

Now, where does this mean Evans will go?  Back to backup status?  He's useless as SY guy.  One would think he'd be eyeing a move, though he seems to like he "beta" role so he might stay, at a pauper's pay rate.

A lot of what I've heard about Evans from various sources is he is lost on the field a lot of the time (why Ham kept him instead of Masoli who knows), and I think this season proved some of that out.  There are enough starting roles in the CFL that he'll land somewhere, or become an injury policy somewhere next year

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: BlueInCgy on November 14, 2022, 08:50:06 PM
A lot of what I've heard about Evans from various sources is he is lost on the field a lot of the time (why Ham kept him instead of Masoli who knows), and I think this season proved some of that out.  There are enough starting roles in the CFL that he'll land somewhere, or become an injury policy somewhere next year

Evans might look good in Mtl. backing up T. Harris, but he's going to have to accept a big pay cut wherever he goes, I don't think any team trusts him to be their #1 QB.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 14, 2022, 09:06:05 PM
Evans might look good in Mtl. backing up T. Harris, but he's going to have to accept a big pay cut wherever he goes, I don't think any team trusts him to be their #1 QB.

There's not enough #1's to go around as it is!!  There's all these marginal maybe-they-are-maybe-not guys like Arbuckle, Cody, VAJ, Evans.  And besides Rourke I see no "new guy" having arrived this year.  Therefore many teams have to pick from the marginals.  Sucks for them.

The best we can hope for is the marginals find a home for a team with a better fit that mitigates their weaknesses.  Then everyone wins, in terms of better football.
Never go full Rider!

Horseman

It would not surprise me if the current inept Rider management makes a play for Evans and have an open competition between CF and Evans for the #1.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Horseman on November 14, 2022, 09:28:48 PM
It would not surprise me if the current inept Rider management makes a play for Evans and have an open competition between CF and Evans for the #1.

OMG can you imagine Evans behind that OL?  Holy smokes.  Talk about a mismatch.  You're right, only JOD & crew could possibly come up with such a scheme.  I'm pretty sure Riderfans would instantly go mental; in a "burn Mosaic down" kinda way.

The funny part, is out of all the teams, one where Evans might do well is WPG...
Never go full Rider!

DM83

Evans could not play in the tenth division of the Pit league.  Get rid of the guy!

Jesse

Projected* starters in 2023:

Collaros
Harris
BLM
Maier
VAJ
MBT
Cornelius

Might have a shot:

Arbuckle
Masoli
D. Evans
Ford
Kelly

Probably a back-up:

Fajardo
Shiltz
C. Evans
My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

Arbuckle or Masoli start in Ottawa. The other probably moves on to Sask.

Can't see Ford starting anywhere yet. He will spend another year behind Cornelius.

Can't see Bo last the whole season, so Hamilton keeps Shiltz to back him up.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

3rdand1.5

My early thoughts

Quote from: Jesse on November 15, 2022, 01:35:49 PM
Projected* starters in 2023:

Collaros Wpg
Harris Mtrl
BLM Hammy
Maier Cal
VAJ/Fajardo BC
MBT T.O
Cornelius Edm

Might have a shot:

Arbuckle Sask
Masoli Ott
D. Evans B/U Ott
Ford B/U Edm
Kelly B/U T.O

Probably a back-up:

Fajardo
Shiltz B/U Hammy
C. Evans B/U somewhere

GOLDMEMBER

Brown?
I am almost certain he is locked up here next year?
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

theaardvark

Mitchell is two years younger than MBT or Collaros...

Mitchell is the same age Ricky Ray was when he was traded by the Elks.

Mitchell has had almost half a season not playing to heal up, plus an off season, to get riled up.

WBB / HTC  GC in 2023 IN HAMILTON sounds like a distinct possibility...

Another big reason to trade for him... they host the 2023 GC
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

ichabod_crane

Well maybe Bo WILL NOT  end up with the cats. Huffy scoops up two draft picks for nothing potentially.

Pigskin

Quote from: theaardvark on November 15, 2022, 04:46:22 PM
Mitchell is two years younger than MBT or Collaros...

Mitchell is the same age Ricky Ray was when he was traded by the Elks.

Mitchell has had almost half a season not playing to heal up, plus an off season, to get riled up.

WBB / HTC  GC in 2023 IN HAMILTON sounds like a distinct possibility...

Another big reason to trade for him... they host the 2023 GC

BLM shoulder is done. The same as Matt Nichols.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Pigskin on November 18, 2022, 07:46:49 AM

I don?t think his shoulder is as weak as Nichols eventually turned out to be, but how long he can last during the season is more the question as the full time starter. I think that is why calgary eventually switched to Maeir mid season as Bo was drifting down. Who knows though, he may have a second/third wind like Collaros or Frito Ray! :;

Pigskin

Quote from: ichabod_crane on November 18, 2022, 07:57:36 AM

I don?t think his shoulder is as weak as Nichols eventually turned out to be, but how long he can last during the season is more the question as the full time starter. I think that is why calgary eventually switched to Maeir mid season as Bo was drifting down. Who knows though, he may have a second/third wind like Collaros or Frito Ray! :;

I would say 5-6 games and Hamilton will be sitting in the same position Calgary was this year. Sure, BLM looked good for 10 throws in the playoffs, but that's after what, 10 games of rest.

theaardvark

He's had more than half a season of rest, and a whole offseason.  I think his shoulder should be fully re-habbed is there are any lingering problems.

He came into the league and set it on fire.  That talent just doesn't go away.  Sure, he had a great organization helping his success, but Hamilton is no slouch. 

If he wants to play, and his body will let him, ne reason he can't be HAM's Ricky Ray or Zach Collaros.  And they get to move on from Hot/Cold Evans

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on November 18, 2022, 07:46:49 AM

Ricky Ray thought his shoulder was done before he moved on to the Argos in 2011, Milanovich adjusted the offence to suit his reduced arm strength and they went on to win the Cup twice and became the Argos all-time leader in passing yardage, pass completions, and passing touchdowns.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on November 18, 2022, 04:05:33 PM
He's had more than half a season of rest, and a whole offseason.  I think his shoulder should be fully re-habbed is there are any lingering problems.

He came into the league and set it on fire.  That talent just doesn't go away.  Sure, he had a great organization helping his success, but Hamilton is no slouch. 

If he wants to play, and his body will let him, ne reason he can't be HAM's Ricky Ray or Zach Collaros.  And they get to move on from Hot/Cold Evans

It's been an issue for a couple of years now - if rest would fix it - it'd be better by now.

He started this year on fire, but eventually got benched. He seemingly can not go for a full season anymore.

I've been saying that whoever sign's him needs to sign Fajardo or another running QB and make a Strev package for him to keep BLM's shoulder rested throughout the year.
My wife is amazing!