Argos at Blue Bombers GREY CUP pregame thread

Started by GOLDMEMBER, November 14, 2022, 03:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Waffler on November 17, 2022, 10:45:36 PM
I believe it will be here:

https://www.cfl.ca/live/

Thanks!  Anyone know the time it starts?  Should be soon, eh?  Or did I already miss it.
Never go full Rider!

dd

Quote from: The Zipp on November 18, 2022, 12:04:05 AM
Poor football IQ.  MOS mentioned that on the post game interview. 
I don't think BIB has a poor football iq, it's simple math really. Do you want the ball at your 12 hard line by intercepting it, or at your 47 hard line by simply knocking it down. Take it at the 47 every time unless you weren't thinking at the time of the play.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 18, 2022, 12:13:11 AM
Thanks!  Anyone know the time it starts?  Should be soon, eh?  Or did I already miss it.

It's on right now (7:43pm) if anyone wants to watch:
https://www.cfl.ca/live/

I missed some of it.  Geroy is on now!  MORookie award time
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on November 18, 2022, 12:23:12 AM
I don't think it's a poor football iq, it's simple math really. Do you want the ball at your 12 hard line by intercepting it, or at your 47 hard line by simply knocking it down. Take it at the 47 every time unless you weren't thinking at the time of the play.

It's simple.  You need to think about what you're going to do before the snap.  Players might not always take the time to think about it.  Once the ball is in the air, you can no longer think about it, now you are on instinct.  You can't sit there in a split second and go "oh crap, is it third down? what do I do?".

So the "IQ" part comes in recognizing down and distance for the play, before the play.  If the new guys or "less thinking" guys can't figure it out, it's incumbent upon the vets and leaders to point out the down & situation pre-snap.  For whatever reason, they didn't figure it out on that play.
Never go full Rider!

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 18, 2022, 12:48:31 AM
It's simple.  You need to think about what you're going to do before the snap.  Players might not always take the time to think about it.  Once the ball is in the air, you can no longer think about it, now you are on instinct.  You can't sit there in a split second and go "oh crap, is it third down? what do I do?".

So the "IQ" part comes in recognizing down and distance for the play, before the play.  If the new guys or "less thinking" guys can't figure it out, it's incumbent upon the vets and leaders to point out the down & situation pre-snap.  For whatever reason, they didn't figure it out on that play.

Down and distance is preached in youth league when these guys were 10.  To intercept a pass and cost your team 25 yards in field position at the professional level is either stupid , selfish or both

GOLDMEMBER

Took almost 9 hours to get to Regina but we made it safe. We were going 60km an hour for the breed part of 250 km, two semi flipped over in the ditch off the number 1 hwy. We got in by 5pm.

Went to Spirit of Edmonton. It was ok nothing special considering the prices for beer and $10 cover fee? Wth! Cheap Elks. Hung out with Well dressed Donny C. Looking forward to Td Mb :)
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Tiger

We are a better team than TO. I would take a injured Collaros over MBT every day of the weak.  That said their strength (running game)lines up against our weakness (stopping the run).  Yet we shut down BC and Butler who have a good running game. Our Oline did great on running plays and okay but not great passing plays against BC. Therefore, especially with Collaros injured we may need some extra protection.

But I guess that is why we play the game.
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

TecnoGenius

Forecast keeps getting better!  No snow.  high -1C, -4C around gametime, feelz -9C.  Most importantly the wind will be going from 23 to 14 W/NW and lower.

I can't remember which way the stadium points... isn't it at an angle?  What would be the parallel wind direction?

So not too cold or bad that the teams can't throw, but still cold enough that the grunt run game will be important.
Never go full Rider!

dd

It was very cold outside today, the run game will be extremely important. My prediction is Brady Oliveira is this year?s MOP in the grey cup.

Foxhound

I'm worried. The Toronto Argonauts have never lost a Grey Cup Game to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers:

11 December 1937 - Winnipeg 3 at Toronto 4
10 December 1938 - Winnipeg 7 at Toronto 30
1 December 1945 - Winnipeg 0 at Toronto 35
30 November 1946 - Winnipeg 6 at Toronto 28
29 November 1947 - Winnipeg 9 at Toronto 10
25 November 1950 - Winnipeg 0 at Toronto 13

But the Argonauts this year won't have home field advantage. Will this be the critical factor jeopardizing their win streak?

???
Radically Canadian!

Cool Spot

Quote from: Foxhound on November 19, 2022, 03:10:40 AM
I'm worried. The Toronto Argonauts have never lost a Grey Cup Game to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers:

They haven't lost a Grey Cup in 34 years! While they were favorites in 1991, 1996, and 1997, they were underdogs in 2004, 2012, and 2017.

But who knows, perhaps their successful streak ends on Sunday!

TecnoGenius

I think what this shows, about TOR seeming "lucky" the last 6 times with wins seemingly at random, is that when TOR gets remotely strong, they double-down and put all their chips into that year or two.  They never care about "dynasty" or consistency.  They just want to get good enough to blow the cap out and buy the talent for a big push.

That tactic has got them 6 wins out of their last 6 GCs.  Pinball clearly has adapted this tactic.  Look at the splashy FA acquisitions.  Many aren't sure how they are under the cap, probably because they aren't.

We are far and away the better team.  But TOR isn't bad.  TOR will rely on the luck going their way to get a win.  That's fine, and it does happen sometimes.  I think it'll either be a great, close game, or we're going to 50-9 them.  Probably the former.
Never go full Rider!

Foxhound

Quote from: Cool Spot on November 19, 2022, 03:48:19 AMThey haven't lost a Grey Cup in 34 years! While they were favorites in 1991, 1996, and 1997, they were underdogs in 2004, 2012, and 2016.

Indeed! The Toronto Argonauts have now won six Grey Cup Games in a row with their last loss being 38-36 to the Edmonton (now legendary) Eskimos on 29 November 1987 in Vancouver. That's another six game streak that's causing me concern.

:-\
Radically Canadian!

dd

Quote from: Cool Spot on November 19, 2022, 03:48:19 AM
They haven't lost a Grey Cup in 34 years! While they were favorites in 1991, 1996, and 1997, they were underdogs in 2004, 2012, and 2016.

But who knows, perhaps their successful streak ends on Sunday!
Then they?re due for a loss!!! We got em right where we want em!!