Argos at Blue Bombers GREY CUP pregame thread

Started by GOLDMEMBER, November 14, 2022, 03:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

The Fresh Prince Of Belair, MB

https://leaderpost.com/sports/football/cfl/grey-cup/rob-vanstone-more-mosaic-magic-awaits-winnipeg-blue-bombers

From the article:
Blue Bombers? losses over their last 41 games: Seven.
Roughriders? losses over their last seven games: Seven.
:D :D :D

BlueInCgy

I guess there are worse places to play than IGF West (Mosaic).  It's getting harder and harder to beat up on Rider fans, because they do it so well to themselves.  Vanstones piece is a bunch of stabs at the Riders, and last weeks Craig Reynolds podcast interview could be summed up as "Do you realize how bad the Riders suck?" from every second question.  But they are not the topic of conversation here.

Lots of storylines coming into this one.

3 Peat - either for the BB or for AH
Speedy B - is fourth time a charm
Zach - can he go
MBT - is good or bad MBT going to show up
Special teams - last two GCs were won on the foot of established kickers.  We have a definite struggler this year.  Can he pull through?

It's in the best interest of the CFL for the Argos to win.  I'm not suggesting any bias there, it's simply fact.  A third win in a row for the Bombers does nothing for the league outside of Winnipeg.

Do the Argos deserve to be in the game?  Honestly, no, they are the beneficiaries of an antiquaited divisional system that has failed this year.  Both the Stamps and Lions are far more deserving than the Argos, and their only fault is they are in the same division as the Bombers.

Can the Argos win?  Absolutely.  Bombers losses that mattered this season came to teams worse than the Argos.  I'm less confident about our chances than I normally would be because my brain is equating MBT with Marcus Crandell.  But this teams discipline is much better than that, so hopefully that prevails.

How do I think it will go?  26-18 for the Bombers.

bomb squad

Quote from: BlueInCgy on November 14, 2022, 04:41:13 PM
I guess there are worse places to play than IGF West (Mosaic).  It's getting harder and harder to beat up on Rider fans, because they do it so well to themselves.  Vanstones piece is a bunch of stabs at the Riders, and last weeks Craig Reynolds podcast interview could be summed up as "Do you realize how bad the Riders suck?" from every second question.  But they are not the topic of conversation here.

Lots of storylines coming into this one.

3 Peat - either for the BB or for AH
Speedy B - is fourth time a charm
Zach - can he go
MBT - is good or bad MBT going to show up
Special teams - last two GCs were won on the foot of established kickers.  We have a definite struggler this year.  Can he pull through?

It's in the best interest of the CFL for the Argos to win.  I'm not suggesting any bias there, it's simply fact.  A third win in a row for the Bombers does nothing for the league outside of Winnipeg.

Do the Argos deserve to be in the game?  Honestly, no, they are the beneficiaries of an antiquaited divisional system that has failed this year.  Both the Stamps and Lions are far more deserving than the Argos, and their only fault is they are in the same division as the Bombers.

Can the Argos win?  Absolutely.  Bombers losses that mattered this season came to teams worse than the Argos.  I'm less confident about our chances than I normally would be because my brain is equating MBT with Marcus Crandell.  But this teams discipline is much better than that, so hopefully that prevails.

How do I think it will go?  26-18 for the Bombers.

I have to disagree with you there. I think the Argonauts are at the same or close to same level as the Lions and Stamps.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: bomb squad on November 14, 2022, 04:58:57 PM
I have to disagree with you there. I think the Argonauts are at the same or close to same level as the Lions and Stamps.

If Dru Brown starts the Argo DB's will feast, their secondary is the best in the league.

The Zipp

Argos has gotten better over the season..AJ Oulette is a beast

This is going to be a battle. 

bwiser

I'm worried the command center will be on the Argo's bench.

3rdand1.5

The big story will probably be AH vs. his old team.

Banks should have at least one hissy fit next week, AH will run angry, the question is will his body let him go full game. Oulette will feature predominately I would guess, he is very good with screens and swings. Gittens is very good and MBT can be great or terrible, who knows what MBT will show-up. The T.O defence is pretty darn good Henoc is very good, Mc Manis is really good, Davis etc. and they have a very opportunistic backfield. Zach will not get away with as many bad balls as he threw last week. His ankle may prevent him from being as mobile as he would like and T.O may be able to force him to stay in the pocket, Buck just might have to have a few wrinkles to work in with some mobility issues.

I believe we have the edge in coaching, Leggs has to play better no if's ands or buts about it, gifting teams 4 points is not acceptable and a minor miracle it didn't cost us the West Final. Grant muffed a bit, ball security is more important, he gifted BC 7 then got it back and scored 7 we got lucky but special teams needs to be more fundamentally sound. If our defence and Ritchie can game plan/play as well as we did against BC they will give us a chance to win. Saying that though our offence needs to play cleaner and or special needs to be much cleaner than last week.

IMO I don't see us winning on the big stage with making the same number of mistakes on specials and offence. luckily for us that's what we did last year, made mistakes in the West final and then cleaned it up the following week at the cup.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 14, 2022, 05:16:41 PM
If Dru Brown starts the Argo DB's will feast, their secondary is the best in the league.
Is it? Better than ours? Better than Lions? Better than Calgarys? Hmmmm

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 14, 2022, 06:23:32 PM

The Argos lead the league in interceptions with 29, next best were the Lions and Stamps with 18, while the Bombers had 16.

Horseman

Over on Rider fan forum, they are hoping the Argos win. What pisses them off is that we are going for our 3rd GC in three years while the Riders only have 4 Grey Cup victories in 101 years!!!! Now that is funny, screw the disgruntled riders...GO BOMBERS GO!

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 14, 2022, 06:58:24 PM
The Argos lead the league in interceptions with 29, next best were the Lions and Stamps with 18, while the Bombers had 16.

I believe we have a lot of pass knockdowns and could be the leader on that stats.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Horseman on November 14, 2022, 06:59:23 PM
Over on Rider fan forum, they are hoping the Argos win. What pisses them off is that we are going for our 3rd GC in three years while the Riders only have 4 Grey Cup victories in 101 years!!!! Now that is funny, screw the disgruntled riders...GO BOMBERS GO!
those comments are par for the course. Did you think they were go cheer on the Blue Bombers in there own stadium? Lol, not me.

Pigskin

Looks like a little colder in Regina for the GC. -11 at kick off with a 10 km wind. -19 with the wind chill. make sure you bring your hand and boot warmers.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

dd

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 14, 2022, 06:58:24 PM
Ya but those stats are misleading. How many times did the Argos play the bombers, Stamps and lions ie the top 3 teams in the league, and how many times did they play train wreck Hamilton and Ottawa?? They?re good, but I?d take our secondary over theirs any day of the week and twice on game day!!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: dd on November 15, 2022, 12:50:58 AM
Ya but those stats are misleading. How many times did the Argos play the bombers, Stamps and lions ie the top 3 teams in the league, and how many times did they play train wreck Hamilton and Ottawa?? They?re good, but I?d take our secondary over theirs any day of the week and twice on game day!!
^This! Gotta look deeper than just a plain old stat.

The Zipp

If we stop the run and don't turn the ball over we should win.  Richie hall needs to develop a plan to stop AJ...Argos are very good at taking the ball away.   Collaros didn't play exceptionally well and we beat a decent team - home field helps

We have better coaches...I think it will be close

TecnoGenius

If it was any other team, I'd agree with you.  But we saw this before: an Argos GC win will do nothing for Argos ticket sales.  Nothing.  It'll be just as dead next year.  It's not the winning or lack thereof that's keeping fans away.

And fans will still tune in to see if someone can stop the WPG juggernaut.  The good thing is none of our guys is cocky on TV.  People want to see cocky get punched in the mouth (see: BLM).  Zach is eminently likeable and has been in nearly as many teams as Glenn.  Even the Greenies like Zach (and wish he hadn't been run out of town).  The only player a few people ever got a big hate-on for is AH33, and he's now with the "enemy".

Argos aren't at west-team standards, no.  But they are probably at least as good as CGY.

Here's the thing: the Argos are super lucky in the post-season historically.  They come out of nowhere, win the cup, then go back into oblivion for years.  They are the anti-CGY and anti-MOS philosophy.  But, it works for them.  Don't underestimate TOR.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 14, 2022, 06:23:32 PM

On paper BC DBs are miles above TOR.  If TOR got better stats, that's because they must have a better DL and cause more QB mistakes (kind of the WPG M.O.).

WPG's DB corps is beat up since the FA loss from the '21 GC, and from multiple injuries this season.  Our DB corps is not our strong suit.  But they are a close group with good leaders, so you can't just pick on them.  Our DL will make our DBs more effective in the GC.

Also, once again, the weather favors us.  TOR with all their "lake effect" is still nothing compared to prairie cold.  They will get a rude awakening in Regina.  It'll hurt our team too, but it'll hurt us less than the other guys, just like in the WDF.  Oullette might have no idea what to do in the cold; but AH sure will.

And TOR receivers are a pretty sad bunch on paper.  Just cover Gittens; boom done.  Though I am a bit worried that Banks has woken up.  Just need to get him down 2 scores and he'll cry off like he always does.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

About TOR's INT record:  They remind me of us circa 2014.  Remember how we were high up in the INT department for about 3 years?  We were kind of known for our turnover margin.  That's around the Fogg/Heath era.

To me that's a sign of a weaker / developing team.  They rely on turnovers to have a chance because they can't win playing plain hardnosed, straight-up ball.  TOR is to WPG now what WPG was to CGY in '14.

The fact TOR is going to the cup whilst at this stage of development is a testament to something: luck, weak east, some choice talent, dunno.  We weren't even close to a cup in '14.

My point is, I'm not scared of TOR because of their turnover margin, to me it marks them as weak.  That means beatable if we play Bomber ball and limit our risks.  They won't win with normal ball.  I think they will sense this and that's why they might be taking a lot of risks; like heavy pressure, all-or-nothing DB INT attempts, tricky plays, and tons of deep balls.

BC tried to beat us with straight-forward ball, and look where that got them.
Never go full Rider!

BLUEBOMBER

The Bombers are a better team no doubt but upsets are always possible especially in a championship game where the underdogs have nothing to lose.

pjrocksmb

Argos are average in most areas.  Strong at Rb.

Their D is good against the East

If things go our way Blue by 12

ModAdmin

The Bombers will focus on the run game regardless of who is at QB.  Who controls the line of scrimmage will be the winner of this game.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Pigskin

I just noticed that Winnipeg has never beaten Toronto in a GC. Toronto is 7-0 against Winnipeg in GC. Last time we played Toronto in a GC was 1950. Would be nice to break that goose egg. 

BLUEBOMBER

I believe we certainly have an edge on this one but 2001 Grey Cup still lingers on my mind all the time. Dinwiddie is certainly not a Wally Buono though...

Tee42

Argos have a lot of ego on that team, hot heads. Get them rattled, they will draw penalties. Don't give MBT too much time to throw. Rourke had lots and lots of time to get the ball off last game.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Pigskin on November 15, 2022, 05:15:16 PM
I just noticed that Winnipeg has never beaten Toronto in a GC. Toronto is 7-0 against Winnipeg in GC. Last time we played Toronto in a GC was 1950. Would be nice to break that goose egg. 

The last time they met in the championship game was over 70 years ago and eight years before the CFL even came into existence.

An interesting stat but that's all it is, IMO.

Quote from: BLUEBOMBER on November 15, 2022, 05:20:10 PM
I believe we certainly have an edge on this one but 2001 Grey Cup still lingers on my mind all the time. Dinwiddie is certainly not a Wally Buono though...

The 2022 Blue Bombers aren't the 2001 Blue Bombers.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

BBRT

Was Goldmember at the game?  :D

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: BBRT on November 15, 2022, 09:07:44 PM
Was Goldmember at the game?  :D
No but I was at the Dinwiddie in TO one where he choked on it at the end. Maybe Dinwiddie will choke on it again at coach now? :D

I did read up on that 1950 game though. We were at a very big disadvantage with footwear in the game or what has been referred to as the mud bowl game. TO had a big snow fall the day before. Indian Jack Jacobs and the Blue Bombers had a great year but it was a disappointing loss in the end. Jacobs only completed a couple passes all game.

Pigskin

My Grandson likes to look at the history of the CFL. In 1937 we lost to Toronto. 4-3, in 1942, 8-5, 1947 it was 10-9, and in 1960, 13-0. Talk about D.

Pete

Be interesting to see what new wrinkles each team shows, no reason to hold back on the final game
I expect to see Toronto do a number of snaps with both Harris and Oullette both in the backfield..one acting as a decoy for the other

TecnoGenius

I would be more concerned with the stat that TOR has like 6 straight GC wins.  Basically, if they get to the big game, they win it.  It's like the anti WPG-before-2019.  They seem to never care about a dynasty: they shoot for the "big year" and a one-off win.  Look how many expensive assets they piled on this year.  I'm not sure they stayed within the cap.

TOR is the horseshoe-up-the-jockstrap team of the CFL.

I hope we play real solid ball to not give their luck any chance of materializing.  That basically means ball protection and control.  Their luck has to run out sometime, and looking at how other GC win streaks usually occur, the chance of TOR adding to their GC win streak would seem very small.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on November 16, 2022, 03:20:17 AM
Be interesting to see what new wrinkles each team shows, no reason to hold back on the final game
I expect to see Toronto do a number of snaps with both Harris and Oullette both in the backfield..one acting as a decoy for the other

They didn't do that in the EDF.  However, I think you're on to something... most of their WR are useless placeholders that they just leave unused for some reason.  Might as well take out someone like Phillips and have AH/AJ in a dual-back formation for every single play!  That would give Hall fits, that's for sure.

I fully expect us to roster DL/LB heavy and skimp on the DBs.  DBs may not be needed much for this game unless MBT/Dinwiddie go all air happy like CGY did in the WSF.... OR, if/when Hall shuts down the TOR run completely.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 16, 2022, 06:14:54 AM
They didn't do that in the EDF.  However, I think you're on to something... most of their WR are useless placeholders that they just leave unused for some reason.  Might as well take out someone like Phillips and have AH/AJ in a dual-back formation for every single play!  That would give Hall fits, that's for sure.

I fully expect us to roster DL/LB heavy and skimp on the DBs.  DBs may not be needed much for this game unless MBT/Dinwiddie go all air happy like CGY did in the WSF.... OR, if/when Hall shuts down the TOR run completely.

We don't have a lot of healthy options on either the 1 game IR or PR.  Walker is the only possible player that might be moved back to the game day roster. Nobody on the WDF I want to come off unless due to injury ( Clement ? ) Holm as a DI played well on ST's and his speed may be needed on at times on defence.

Realistically I expect very close to the last game roster.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

3rdand1.5

In the WF our D-line looked very, good. I thought our Db's also looked very good; this was all part due to the scheme that Ritchie had in place. Let's hope he can scheme against T.O as well this week.

Our offensive line played great, and Brady ran tough, I believe we can out physical the T.O defence, but they are bigger and stronger in the middle. Zach did not have a good game; he should have had 3 or 4 picks and one was almost a guaranteed pick 6. T.O's backfield is opportunistic; he needs to be play better.

Specials was a roller coaster all game, we need to be better fundamentally, ball security has to be better, and Leggs can-not have a repeat of last week. If we didn't make a mistake on the blocked kick which essentially took points away, If we didn't flub a kick and essentially give BC a TD, if we didn't miss two converts costing us 2 points, if we didn't let a missed PAT get returned against us costing us another 2 points we would have had much better control of the game. We are a better team than T.O but they are very opportunistic and if we give them chances like that, I think they will make us pay more so than BC did.

Luckily for us we have done this before, we made mistakes in the WF last year and came out OK winning the GC the next week, let's hope in this case history repeats itself.

Oh and I want to see Banks throw a hissy fit before half!

Horseman

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on November 16, 2022, 02:58:07 PM
In the WF our D-line looked very, good. I thought our Db's also looked very good; this was all part due to the scheme that Ritchie had in place. Let's hope he can scheme against T.O as well this week.

Our offensive line played great, and Brady ran tough, I believe we can out physical the T.O defence, but they are bigger and stronger in the middle. Zach did not have a good game; he should have had 3 or 4 picks and one was almost a guaranteed pick 6. T.O's backfield is opportunistic; he needs to be play better.

Specials was a roller coaster all game, we need to be better fundamentally, ball security has to be better, and Leggs can-not have a repeat of last week. If we didn't make a mistake on the blocked kick which essentially took points away, If we didn't flub a kick and essentially give BC a TD, if we didn't miss two converts costing us 2 points, if we didn't let a missed PAT get returned against us costing us another 2 points we would have had much better control of the game. We are a better team than T.O but they are very opportunistic and if we give them chances like that, I think they will make us pay more so than BC did.

Luckily for us we have done this before, we made mistakes in the WF last year and came out OK winning the GC the next week, let's hope in this case history repeats itself.

Yes, seeing Banks and MBT both blow a gasket would be awesome.

Pigskin

I am wondering if McManis will be in the lineup for the Argo's. He was hurt in the east final.

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on November 16, 2022, 05:43:01 PM
I am wondering if McManis will be in the lineup for the Argo's. He was hurt in the east final.

The freep says no.
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on November 16, 2022, 02:58:07 PM

You do realize BC is a better team than TO right? TO feasted on weak Eastern division teams. The TO DL is quote bigger and stronger? Bigger and stronger than who or what?
Based in the EDF there run D can be very suspect and T Harris had his moments as well.

I agree special teams needs to be more consistent.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on November 16, 2022, 06:00:46 PM
The freep says no.
Big loss for them. He is there best LB.

Pigskin

Pigskin

Apparently today it was -18 with the wind chill. 30-50 km winds. Forecast looking better each day of the week.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Pigskin on November 16, 2022, 07:41:32 PM
Apparently today it was -18 with the wind chill. 30-50K km winds. Forecast looking better each day of the week.
could be Regina climatologist pushers. I would not put it past them.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 16, 2022, 07:52:19 PM
could be Regina climatologist pushers. I would not put it past them.

Haha!  Someone finally out-tinfoiled me!  That's some heavy-duty tinfoil you got there.  Pay off the Regina env-can guy to push a warm forecast to sell more tickets and keep people from dumping.  Then come Sunday it's a royal blizzard and -20C.  Hahaha.

Well, anything is possible.  ;D ;D
Never go full Rider!

northof30

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 16, 2022, 10:31:01 PM
Haha!  Someone finally out-tinfoiled me!  That's some heavy-duty tinfoil you got there.  Pay off the Regina env-can guy to push a warm forecast to sell more tickets and keep people from dumping.  Then come Sunday it's a royal blizzard and -20C.  Hahaha.

Well, anything is possible.  ;D ;D
lol in Regina it can be. ;D

theaardvark

Forcast for R?gina:

+31C, 11km winds...

Oh wait, that is R?gina, French Guiana

Forecast for Regina SK

-2C, 24KM winds...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Nic16

My 3 keys to a BB win?

1. Get in MBTs face.
2. Solid pass coverage.
3. Win the kick & return game. Do not giveaway points!

Pigskin

Well, the temp. is going up but so is the wind.

I think the key to stopping Toronto is shutting down there running game early and taking away the screen pass.
ST's have to be better than the BC game. Sure, Grant had a great return, but he also made a few mistakes one cost us 7 points and the other field position.
Need to limit the penalties and turnovers. Can't give them any momentum.
OL will have to be rock solid and keep ZC8 clean.

Pete

Quote from: Pigskin on November 17, 2022, 07:52:03 PM
Well, the temp. is going up but so is the wind.

I think the key to stopping Toronto is shutting down there running game early and taking away the screen pass.
ST's have to be better than the BC game. Sure, Grant had a great return, but he also made a few mistakes one cost us 7 points and the other field position.
Need to limit the penalties and turnovers. Can't give them any momentum.
OL will have to be rock solid and keep ZC8 clean.

I agree, especially win the turnover battle, if Collaris isn't able to be effective we need to give the defence a chance to be as impactful as possible..that means not giving up field position

Pigskin

Quote from: Pete on November 17, 2022, 09:25:13 PM
I agree, especially win the turnover battle, if Collaris isn't able to be effective we need to give the defence a chance to be as impactful as possible..that means not giving up field position

The Lawrence Int last game was nice, but it actually cost us some big field position.

Also, Grant caught a punt along the sidelines late in the game that was going out of bounds. With the penalty yardage that would have moved us close to center field.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on November 17, 2022, 03:44:28 PM
-2C, 24KM winds...

$20 and a Pils says we are deferring then; loser has to drink the Pils
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on November 17, 2022, 09:36:07 PM
The Lawrence Int last game was nice, but it actually cost us some big field position.

Also, Grant caught a punt along the sidelines late in the game that was going out of bounds. With the penalty yardage that would have moved us close to center field.

It also changed the opportunity to use the playbook due to poor field position. In effect the need to be more cautious may have led to the injury to Collaros. If we had taken the ball at the LOS we'd have been at about the 47 yard line instead of the 12 yard line. That would have potentially resulted in giving up a sack instead of trying to risk getting a 1st down.

Obviously that's just pure speculation on my part and I'm not trying to pin that on Lawrence. It's just one of those things that happens in football. Bad field position can change what the offence will try to run. Collaros might have just taken an easy sack than risk getting nailed running.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Anyone know if the CFL Awards ceremony will be available for viewing tonight?  I can't find any mention of it on TSN.

Waffler

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 17, 2022, 10:24:43 PM
Anyone know if the CFL Awards ceremony will be available for viewing tonight?  I can't find any mention of it on TSN.

I believe it will be here:

https://www.cfl.ca/live/
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Blue In BC

2019 Grey Cup Champions

The Zipp

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 17, 2022, 10:17:36 PM
It also changed the opportunity to use the playbook due to poor field position. In effect the need to be more cautious may have led to the injury to Collaros. If we had taken the ball at the LOS we'd have been at about the 47 yard line instead of the 12 yard line. That would have potentially resulted in giving up a sack instead of trying to risk getting a 1st down.

Obviously that's just pure speculation on my part and I'm not trying to pin that on Lawrence. It's just one of those things that happens in football. Bad field position can change what the offence will try to run. Collaros might have just taken an easy sack than risk getting nailed running.

Poor football IQ.  MOS mentioned that on the post game interview. 

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Waffler on November 17, 2022, 10:45:36 PM
I believe it will be here:

Thanks!  Anyone know the time it starts?  Should be soon, eh?  Or did I already miss it.
Never go full Rider!

dd

Quote from: The Zipp on November 18, 2022, 12:04:05 AM
Poor football IQ.  MOS mentioned that on the post game interview. 
I don't think BIB has a poor football iq, it's simple math really. Do you want the ball at your 12 hard line by intercepting it, or at your 47 hard line by simply knocking it down. Take it at the 47 every time unless you weren't thinking at the time of the play.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 18, 2022, 12:13:11 AM
Thanks!  Anyone know the time it starts?  Should be soon, eh?  Or did I already miss it.

It's on right now (7:43pm) if anyone wants to watch:

I missed some of it.  Geroy is on now!  MORookie award time
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on November 18, 2022, 12:23:12 AM
I don't think it's a poor football iq, it's simple math really. Do you want the ball at your 12 hard line by intercepting it, or at your 47 hard line by simply knocking it down. Take it at the 47 every time unless you weren't thinking at the time of the play.

It's simple.  You need to think about what you're going to do before the snap.  Players might not always take the time to think about it.  Once the ball is in the air, you can no longer think about it, now you are on instinct.  You can't sit there in a split second and go "oh crap, is it third down? what do I do?".

So the "IQ" part comes in recognizing down and distance for the play, before the play.  If the new guys or "less thinking" guys can't figure it out, it's incumbent upon the vets and leaders to point out the down & situation pre-snap.  For whatever reason, they didn't figure it out on that play.
Never go full Rider!

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 18, 2022, 12:48:31 AM
It's simple.  You need to think about what you're going to do before the snap.  Players might not always take the time to think about it.  Once the ball is in the air, you can no longer think about it, now you are on instinct.  You can't sit there in a split second and go "oh crap, is it third down? what do I do?".

So the "IQ" part comes in recognizing down and distance for the play, before the play.  If the new guys or "less thinking" guys can't figure it out, it's incumbent upon the vets and leaders to point out the down & situation pre-snap.  For whatever reason, they didn't figure it out on that play.

Down and distance is preached in youth league when these guys were 10.  To intercept a pass and cost your team 25 yards in field position at the professional level is either stupid , selfish or both

GOLDMEMBER

Took almost 9 hours to get to Regina but we made it safe. We were going 60km an hour for the breed part of 250 km, two semi flipped over in the ditch off the number 1 hwy. We got in by 5pm.

Went to Spirit of Edmonton. It was ok nothing special considering the prices for beer and $10 cover fee? Wth! Cheap Elks. Hung out with Well dressed Donny C. Looking forward to Td Mb :)

Tiger

We are a better team than TO. I would take a injured Collaros over MBT every day of the weak.  That said their strength (running game)lines up against our weakness (stopping the run).  Yet we shut down BC and Butler who have a good running game. Our Oline did great on running plays and okay but not great passing plays against BC. Therefore, especially with Collaros injured we may need some extra protection.

But I guess that is why we play the game.
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

TecnoGenius

Forecast keeps getting better!  No snow.  high -1C, -4C around gametime, feelz -9C.  Most importantly the wind will be going from 23 to 14 W/NW and lower.

I can't remember which way the stadium points... isn't it at an angle?  What would be the parallel wind direction?

So not too cold or bad that the teams can't throw, but still cold enough that the grunt run game will be important.
Never go full Rider!

dd

It was very cold outside today, the run game will be extremely important. My prediction is Brady Oliveira is this year?s MOP in the grey cup.

Foxhound

I'm worried. The Toronto Argonauts have never lost a Grey Cup Game to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers:

11 December 1937 - Winnipeg 3 at Toronto 4
10 December 1938 - Winnipeg 7 at Toronto 30
1 December 1945 - Winnipeg 0 at Toronto 35
30 November 1946 - Winnipeg 6 at Toronto 28
29 November 1947 - Winnipeg 9 at Toronto 10
25 November 1950 - Winnipeg 0 at Toronto 13

But the Argonauts this year won't have home field advantage. Will this be the critical factor jeopardizing their win streak?

???
Radically Canadian!

Cool Spot

Quote from: Foxhound on November 19, 2022, 03:10:40 AM
I'm worried. The Toronto Argonauts have never lost a Grey Cup Game to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers:

They haven't lost a Grey Cup in 34 years! While they were favorites in 1991, 1996, and 1997, they were underdogs in 2004, 2012, and 2017.

But who knows, perhaps their successful streak ends on Sunday!

TecnoGenius

I think what this shows, about TOR seeming "lucky" the last 6 times with wins seemingly at random, is that when TOR gets remotely strong, they double-down and put all their chips into that year or two.  They never care about "dynasty" or consistency.  They just want to get good enough to blow the cap out and buy the talent for a big push.

That tactic has got them 6 wins out of their last 6 GCs.  Pinball clearly has adapted this tactic.  Look at the splashy FA acquisitions.  Many aren't sure how they are under the cap, probably because they aren't.

We are far and away the better team.  But TOR isn't bad.  TOR will rely on the luck going their way to get a win.  That's fine, and it does happen sometimes.  I think it'll either be a great, close game, or we're going to 50-9 them.  Probably the former.
Never go full Rider!

Foxhound

Quote from: Cool Spot on November 19, 2022, 03:48:19 AMThey haven't lost a Grey Cup in 34 years! While they were favorites in 1991, 1996, and 1997, they were underdogs in 2004, 2012, and 2016.

Indeed! The Toronto Argonauts have now won six Grey Cup Games in a row with their last loss being 38-36 to the Edmonton (now legendary) Eskimos on 29 November 1987 in Vancouver. That's another six game streak that's causing me concern.

:-\
Radically Canadian!

dd

Quote from: Cool Spot on November 19, 2022, 03:48:19 AM
They haven't lost a Grey Cup in 34 years! While they were favorites in 1991, 1996, and 1997, they were underdogs in 2004, 2012, and 2016.

But who knows, perhaps their successful streak ends on Sunday!
Then they?re due for a loss!!! We got em right where we want em!!

GOLDMEMBER

Touchdown Manitoba was amazing! Fantastic band and vibe. Nice to meet Ridermania finally, bluhawk, and well Donny C AGAIN! Lol
The ping pong tables for me were a great touch as well. 9/10 while spirit of Edmonton was a 2/10. Atlantic Schooners was Ok, no skreech? Hmmm

GOLDMEMBER

Also worth I stepped out of the TD MB room to go the bath and  the organizers stopped re entry but there was Wade verbally ripping the head of the door man. He was pissed mad! It was nice to see our club leader make sure his fans are treated top notch. We got in Shortly after.

Bluehawk

Hey Goldmember!
Was great to meet up with you...glad to see you are younger than the senior that I thought you might me...like me!!
Also watched our leader Wade taking care of business and looking after his fans.
Success for this organization starts right at the top with Wade....well done.

Go Bombers!!!
I'd rather be a Bomber than a .....

BBRT

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 19, 2022, 12:52:56 PM
Also worth I stepped out of the TD MB room to go the bath and  the organizers stopped re entry but there was Wade verbally ripping the head of the door man. He was pissed mad! It was nice to see our club leader make sure his fans are treated top notch. We got in Shortly after.

Good to hear! We were delayed getting into Moosejaw until late last night. Got in around 9PM from Calgary - Girls are at SPA today while the non-SPA types are heading over to the Casino to help fund the local economy. We head out tomorrow for the game early on and hook up with our clients for a lunch before the game. I keep forgetting where our seats are but as my client is a long time Rider Season Ticket holder (both company and personal) I know it is on the home side and probably around 45 yard line or so (from what I can remember). We all have our winter gear and should be in good shape. I wish I could have made some events but client issues prevented me from getting to Regina yesterday. Looking forward to a Bomber Victory!

Pigskin

Noah Hallett #23 and Thompson #36. On crutches. Noah has had a very tough year.

Foxhound

Quote from: Foxhound on November 19, 2022, 04:10:41 AMThe Toronto Argonauts have now won six Grey Cup Games in a row with their last loss being 38-36 to the Edmonton (now legendary) Eskimos on 29 November 1987 in Vancouver.

The Argonauts Grey Cup Game winning streak really has me concerned:

24 November 1991 - Toronto 36 Calgary 21 at Winnipeg
24 November 1996 - Toronto 43 Edmonton 37 at Hamilton
16 November 1997 - Toronto 47 Saskatchewan 23 at Edmonton
21 November 2004 - Toronto 27 British Columbia 19 at Ottawa
25 November 2012 - Toronto 35 Calgary 22 at Toronto
26 November 2017 - Toronto 27 Calgary 24 at Ottawa

The Argonauts seem to save their best for Grey Cup Games. As a result no team has won more Grey Cups since 1987 than have the Toronto Argonauts!

So can even the mighty Blue Bombers snap the Argos' winning streak?

???
Radically Canadian!

ModAdmin

Quote from: Foxhound on November 20, 2022, 05:22:14 AM
The Argonauts Grey Cup Game winning streak really has me concerned:

24 November 1991 - Toronto 36 Calgary 21 at Winnipeg
24 November 1996 - Toronto 43 Edmonton 37 at Hamilton
16 November 1997 - Toronto 47 Saskatchewan 23 at Edmonton
21 November 2004 - Toronto 27 British Columbia 19 at Ottawa
25 November 2012 - Toronto 35 Calgary 22 at Toronto
26 November 2017 - Toronto 27 Calgary 24 at Ottawa

The Argonauts seem to save their best for Grey Cup Games. As a result no team has won more Grey Cups since 1987 than have the Toronto Argonauts!  :D

So can Yes, even the mighty Blue Bombers can snap the Argos' winning streak.

Minor correction in your post.  Hope you don't mind.  :D
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Waffler

They play with no pressure because they have no fans. That's my theory.

In the pre-cap era it was also a destination of choice. They'd always over spend in a vain attempt to fill those seats.

Dunigan, Flutie, Damen Allen, Ray. Not too bad quarterbacking either.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Bluehawk on November 19, 2022, 04:46:37 PM
Hey Goldmember!
Was great to meet up with you...glad to see you are younger than the senior that I thought you might me...like me!!
Also watched our leader Wade taking care of business and looking after his fans.
Success for this organization starts right at the top with Wade....well done.

Go Bombers!!!
hey buddy! Darn right.

Last night hit up Rideville VIP treatment then shut down Bomber house. What a great party! I am a happy camper though the throat is trashed. To much Karaoke last night. ;)

Ridermania

Had a blast at TD Manitoba and finally met Goldmember in person!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Ridermania on November 20, 2022, 02:02:26 PM

You guys look awesome!  Best fans in the league!
Never go full Rider!

J5V

The kicking game could be huge today. Both kickers with strong legs but questionable accuracy.
Go Bombers!

dd

Quote from: Ridermania on November 20, 2022, 02:02:26 PM
That?s an awesome photo, thanks for sharing

buckzumhoff

Bombers got to play good. Got to get good game again from corners Lawrence and good play selection. .got to get first down yardage and collaroos has to have good game good protection
Let go Bombers

Horseman

The weather app says at 5:00pm in Regina it will be -3 (feels like -10) with the wind out of the west northwest at 24km/h.

Foxhound

So Coach Michael O'Shea has the chance to do something today that even the legendary Bud Grant could not achieve, that being coach his team to three Grey Cup victories in a row!

8)

My advice to Blue Bomber fans today. Stay off the sauce and concentrate on the game!

;)
Radically Canadian!