When will Sask fans make noise in the GC?

Started by TecnoGenius, November 14, 2022, 05:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

When will Sask fans get loud in the GC?  (Who do they hate more?)

When WPG is on O
16 (61.5%)
When TOR is on O
2 (7.7%)
Neither: they'll be ambivalent
4 (15.4%)
Both: they'll hate equally
4 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: November 16, 2022, 05:19:49 AM

TecnoGenius

The stands will be full of green.  Not all greenie fans will dump their tickets.  And not enough dumpees to take them anyhow.

Rider fans like to be loud.  So the question is, who do they try to damage with their noise?  Or will the PTSD from their season have them all shellshocked and complacent?  ;)

MOAB made a good point: they have the dilemma of supporting the much-hated AH33, or supporting the much-hated WPG.  Not sure if that will be the deciding factor or not, but it'll be in their heads!

Another point: we are the west team.  Gotta support the west, right??  Right?  Won't hold my breath on that one.

I remember when I was at the IGF GC (EDM/OTT) and it was pretty loud all-round, but there was definitely a bias to supporting EDM.  But not the best comparison since neither team was "hated" by us.

WPG won the first SF played in New Mosiac.  WPG won the first DF played in New Mosiac.  Will WPG now win the first GC in New Mosiac?  Just put our logo up on the sign and call it IGF2!  :D ;D  The best things come in threes...
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Bonus question: what percentage of the crowd at New Mosaic will be wearing blue & gold?  Could we get to 25%?

And How many TOR fans show up?  Probably all 12 of them, eh?  ;D ;D
Never go full Rider!

Ridermania

I have had Riders season tickets for over 25 years and always cheer for the west team.

Yes, I will be cheering for the Bombers while wearing my Riders jersey!

BlueInCgy

Like any hosting city, the fans will be there for the GC, not specifically who is in it.  I think there's too much read into a few specific fans dislike of the Bombers (or the Stamps) for that matter, especially since the Riders didn't make the playoffs this year, and that was their own doing more than anything else.  The Bombers success (thus far) is certainly wearing thin on some people at this point, in the same way that the Gretzky era Oilers were not everyone's favourite team.

That being said, I suspect there will be more fans supporting the Bombers than the Argos. 

Waffler

More Bomber fans but it's not like a home game for either team. When it's here I just want a good game, let the best team win. So noise will not favor either side I think.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

bomb squad

My guess is there will be about 5000 Bomber fans proper there. The vast majority of the Rider Fans and more than half of the "other" fans will be supporting Toronto. We will be facing most of the noise, but it won't be anything close to being like a Labour Day game, that's for sure.

Buck

Quote from: bomb squad on November 14, 2022, 01:38:33 PM
My guess is there will be about 5000 Bomber fans proper there. The vast majority of the Rider Fans and more than half of the "other" fans will be supporting Toronto. We will be facing most of the noise, but it won't be anything close to being like a Labour Day game, that's for sure.

Take a look at the number of resale tickets are on ticketmaster this morning, they're wanting to unload them.  I bet over 30% of the tickets are for sale right now.

Horseman

Over on Rider fan forum, they are hoping the Argos win. What pisses them off is that we are going for our 3rd GC in three years while the Riders only have 4 Grey Cup victories in 101 years!!!! Now that is funny, screw the disgruntled riders...GO BOMBERS GO!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: bomb squad on November 14, 2022, 01:38:33 PM

I don't know.  It seemed like there were around 5000 blue jerseys in CGY for the 2019 GC!  Surely we can double whatever number showed up to CGY.  CGY was far harder to get to than Regina.

The GC visits won't last forever for us... surely people know they have to jump on the bandwagon while the wagon still has wheels?
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: BlueInCgy on November 14, 2022, 11:39:54 AM
Like any hosting city, the fans will be there for the GC, not specifically who is in it.

Ya, but this is a slightly weird case that I'm not sure comes up very often.  This is a case of team A (WPG) playing a basically irrelevant team B (TOR) in team C's (SSK) -- who is team A's main rival's -- stadium!

The most obvious equivalent would be TOR playing in a GC in HAM (or vice versa), or EDM playing in a GC in CGY.... or if SSK is playing in the GC in WPG in 2025  ;) ;D

Can anyone remember the last time that happened?  I can't.  Just think how those HAM fans would treat TOR in the Hammer, regardless of who they are matched against....
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Ridermania on November 14, 2022, 11:18:25 AM
Yes, I will be cheering for the Bombers while wearing my Riders jersey!

Thanks Mania!  You're the true class of Riderville.  P.S. Thanks for all your GC/Regina tips.  Keep 'em coming!

Have any advice on where to eat late (9-11pm) in Moose Jaw on a Sunday night?  Or, I guess, where to eat on the west side of Regina?  Everything seems to be closed on Sundays in that province, and nothing is open late.  It's like Scotland.
Never go full Rider!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Horseman on November 14, 2022, 07:08:47 PM
Over on Rider fan forum...

Say no more.

Riderfans.com: you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on November 14, 2022, 08:48:43 PM
Say no more.

LMOA it is like you are describing something out of Pirates of the Caribbean.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 14, 2022, 09:16:53 PM
LMOA it is like you are describing something out of Pirates of the Caribbean.

Star Wars 4 (or 1 depending how you look at it).  The town where the bar scene is.

Ya, it does resemble the ridersfans forum, well at least some of the guys there!  (Excluding you Ridermania!)
;D ;D ;D

The next question is (all "12 people" jokes aside), how many Argos fans will show up?  Can they get even enough that you'll spot a double-blue jersey just casually looking around?  Maybe 300 fans (mostly family members)?  What a sad sack town.  But you do have to hand it to the ones that actually care and go to games.
Never go full Rider!

ichabod_crane

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 14, 2022, 08:37:45 PM
Ya, but this is a slightly weird case that I'm not sure comes up very often.  This is a case of team A (WPG) playing a basically irrelevant team B (TOR) in team C's (SSK) -- who is team A's main rival's -- stadium!

The most obvious equivalent would be TOR playing in a GC in HAM (or vice versa), or EDM playing in a GC in CGY.... or if SSK is playing in the GC in WPG in 2025  ;) ;D

Can anyone remember the last time that happened?  I can't.  Just think how those HAM fans would treat TOR in the Hammer, regardless of who they are matched against....

1993   Edmonton Eskimos   Winnipeg Blue Bombers   33-23   Calgary (Host city) - I believe Sammy Garza was the Bombers starter as Dunnigan got injured in the Eastern final if I recall correctly.

1996   Toronto Argonauts   Edmonton Eskimos   43-37   Hamilton (Host city) - the snow bowl.

Jesse

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on November 14, 2022, 08:48:43 PM
Say no more.

:D :D :D
My wife is amazing!

GCn19

I have been to a great number of Grey Cups over the past 40 years. In my experience, with the exception of when the home team was playing in the game, the crowd is not your typical football game crowd in so far as cheering goes. People in Regina will be there to take in the game and Grey Cup atmosphere and will cheer good plays for both sides. Can the Bombers get 5k in the seats in Regina? Depends. Right now...I doubt it, unless some hotel rooms open up real soon that aren't 2k a night. Regina, as always, remains an absolute disaster for fans looking to attend a Grey Cup from out of town and their local businesses are just as much to blame for  absolute price gouging of the highest order.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: GCn19 on November 15, 2022, 01:28:40 PM
I have been to a great number of Grey Cups over the past 40 years. In my experience, with the exception of when the home team was playing in the game, the crowd is not your typical football game crowd in so far as cheering goes. People in Regina will be there to take in the game and Grey Cup atmosphere and will cheer good plays for both sides. Can the Bombers get 5k in the seats in Regina? Depends. Right now...I doubt it, unless some hotel rooms open up real soon that aren't 2k a night. Regina, as always, remains an absolute disaster for fans looking to attend a Grey Cup from out of town and their local businesses are just as much to blame for  absolute price gouging of the highest order.
As GCn19 has so eloquently put the GC crowds are anyways kinda blah if both teams are out of town participants. This one will be on different. Noise will not be a factor for either side. A slight roar from the Bomber fans in attendance should not make a difference when TO is on O.   
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

bwiser

Quote from: GCn19 on November 15, 2022, 01:28:40 PM
Have to find a nice warm bus shelter. Thats the Winnipeg way!

wpg#1

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 14, 2022, 08:40:23 PM
Thanks Mania!  You're the true class of Riderville.  P.S. Thanks for all your GC/Regina tips.  Keep 'em coming!

Have any advice on where to eat late (9-11pm) in Moose Jaw on a Sunday night?  Or, I guess, where to eat on the west side of Regina?  Everything seems to be closed on Sundays in that province, and nothing is open late.  It's like Scotland.

Rodo's Pizza on 9th ave south. Open until 10 Sunday night. Great Pizza ! the real heavy, lots of toppings kind of pizza !
GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ichabod_crane on November 15, 2022, 09:00:54 AM

1993   Edmonton Eskimos   Winnipeg Blue Bombers   33-23   Calgary (Host city) - I believe Sammy Garza was the Bombers starter as Dunnigan got injured in the Eastern final if I recall correctly.

1996   Toronto Argonauts   Edmonton Eskimos   43-37   Hamilton (Host city) - the snow bowl.

Ya, so the "hated rival team GC in our stadium" is pretty rare.  Funny, that.

Now, those with long memories who were at those games: do you remember if the atmosphere was any different from what everyone agrees is a "normal" GC?

I guess a big part of it this time will be if the Saskie fans leave their cowbells, horns and clappers at home!

wpg#1: thanks for the tip, we may head there post-game then!
Never go full Rider!