BLM exits with class

Started by bluegold4life, November 08, 2022, 03:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J5V

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 11, 2022, 06:20:39 PM
If I was BLM I'd wait to find out what Rourke is doing next year before signing with any other team, no better option than stepping into Rourke's vacated shoes and taking over a well functioning Lion offence loaded with weapons.

How does Rick Campbell keep being handed these stacked teams? Guy must have a gigantic horseshoe. It'll be interesting to see if his luck holds out or things go like they did in Ottawa.
Go Bombers!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: J5V on November 11, 2022, 06:29:47 PM
How does Rick Campbell keep being handed these stacked teams? Guy must have a gigantic horseshoe. It'll be interesting to see if his luck holds out or things go like they did in Ottawa.

BC has solid management, Campbell left Ottawa because he no longer got along with Marcel Desjardins who eventually destroyed that team.

dd

Quote from: J5V on November 11, 2022, 06:29:47 PM
They weren't stacked last year, they sucked big time and had an over rated expensive Qb. They had Burnham, Whitehead, Rhymes and Butler last year (although they didn't run much at all, which was their downfall)  and Rourke came on out of the blue and turned this franchise around.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on November 12, 2022, 12:46:52 AM
They weren't stacked last year, they sucked big time and had an over rated expensive Qb. They had Burnham, Whitehead, Rhymes and Butler last year (although they didn't run much at all, which was their downfall)  and Rourke came on out of the blue and turned this franchise around.

It goes deeper than that, one player does not turn a team into an instant contender, there is a lot of player recruitment going on behind the scenes that contributed to their resurgence.  Also the addition of Kelly Bates as their O-line coach seems to have solved one of the major issues of past teams.

dd

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 12, 2022, 03:51:14 PM
It goes deeper than that, one player does not turn a team into an instant contender, there is a lot of player recruitment going on behind the scenes that contributed to their resurgence.  Also the addition of Kelly Bates as their O-line coach seems to have solved one of the major issues of past teams.
I would argue one player does turn them into a contender. The Lions with Vernon Adams under centre finishes last in the west, with Rourke under centre they?re in the west final. Same lineup, only 1 position changed. Same goes for our team. Take Zack Collaros out and replace with Brown or Prukop, we go from favourites to barely competitive.

TBURGESS

Quote from: dd on November 12, 2022, 04:13:14 PM
I would argue one player does turn them into a contender. The Lions with Vernon Adams under centre finishes last in the west, with Rourke under centre they?re in the west final. Same lineup, only 1 position changed. Same goes for our team. Take Zack Collaros out and replace with Brown or Prukop, we go from favourites to barely competitive.
BC with VAJ were 4-2, they'd be 3rd in the west with VAJ and 2nd with Rourke. The team is significantly better this year than last.

Wpg with Collaros is the top team in the league without any doubt. Brown or Prukop? Likely 3rd or maybe 4th.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

J5V

Quote from: TBURGESS on November 12, 2022, 09:10:34 PM
Wpg with Collaros is the top team in the league without any doubt. Brown or Prukop? Likely 3rd or maybe 4th.

I really like Prukop. Found this interesting snippet on Wikipedia "On February 15, 2022, it was announced that Prukop had signed with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers to a one-year contract.[12] With the potential of an impending CBA lockout Prukop attended the Bombers' rookie training camp, contrary to the recommendation by the Players? Association who advised that veteran quarterbacks abstain from attending their teams? rookie camps.[13] Prukop stated that he did not want to jeoprodise his opportunity to make the roster as a veteran quarterback behind Zach Collaros.[14]"  I like guys that genuinely want to be here.

He looks like he has good physical skills too https://twitter.com/i/status/1506399548691808256 and of course, we all remember this ... https://twitter.com/i/status/1578900089011326976

Go Bombers!

Big Daddy

Quote from: dd on November 12, 2022, 04:13:14 PM

I would simply point to 2019 and the acquisition of Collaros.  Do we end the 28/9 year drought?  Not likely at all.  We had a good team, a great coach and an awesome culture here, so it was just a matter of time.  But the addition of Collaros was what was needed,

dd

Quote from: Big Daddy on November 13, 2022, 03:15:36 AM
I would simply point to 2019 and the acquisition of Collaros.  Do we end the 28/9 year drought?  Not likely at all.  We had a good team, a great coach and an awesome culture here, so it was just a matter of time.  But the addition of Collaros was what was needed,
Yup, we wouldn t have won either grey cup nor be hosting the western final without him

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Big Daddy on November 13, 2022, 03:15:36 AM

It was a perfect storm nobody could have anticipated when Collaros came to town. It was basically a hail marry with Nichols done for the year and strevller also banged up and not ready to be a full time
Qb starter. So some luck involved, but often to push a team over the top requires some calculated gambles that pay off. In football (cfl and nfl) if you have no good qb, 99 times out of a hundred you are going nowhere unless your defence is overpowering. Trent Dilfer was horrible (he just limited turnovers) when he won the Super Bowl, but Baltimore had such a shutdown defence they only needed a few points to win usually!

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.