2023 Free Agents

Started by ModAdmin, October 26, 2022, 06:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Quote from: Bomber Diehard on November 22, 2022, 12:34:46 PM
I think we will be looking for a kicker, even if it is an import.

Looking at options, maybe... but the job is still Legg's to lose...  every player will have potential competition.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: ModAdmin on November 22, 2022, 06:23:22 AM
BC Lions' Free Agents...

https://3downnation.com/2022/11/15/bryan-burnham-headlines-b-c-lions-free-agent-list/

Quarterback

Michael O?Connor (N)
Antonio Pipkin (A)

Running back

James Butler (A)

Fullback

David Mackie (N)
Mario Villamizar (N)

Receiver

Bryan Burnham (A)
Shai Ross (N)
Jacob Scarfone (N)

Offensive line

Jarell Broxton (A)
Sukh Chungh (N)
Joel Figueroa (A)
Peter Godber (N)
David Knevel (N)
Andrew Peirson (N)

Defensive line

Josh Banks (A)
Obum Gwacham (A)
David Menard (N)

Linebacker

Boseko Lokombo (N)

Defensive back

Delvin Breaux (A)
Isaiah Guzylak-Messam (N)
Hakeem Johnson (N)
T.J. Lee (A)
Garry Peters (A)

Kicker

Sean Whyte (N)

Long snapper

Tanner Doll (N)

A number of players finished the season on the practice roster, including American running back Bruce Anderson, American receiver T.J. Rahming, American receiver Jamarius Way, Canadian offensive lineman Tyler Packer, American offensive lineman Tristen Taylor, Canadian defensive lineman Riley Pickett, American defensive back Tyneil Cooper, Canadian defensive back Jacob Firlotte, and American defensive back Quincy Mauger. As such, they are currently free agents.

ModAdmin

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

dd

Thats a big list of FA. I d drop Ellingson and see if we can get Lawler back.

theaardvark

Every team has a huge FA list, that's just the way the league has been the last few years.  This year, things change.  Players can be given partially guaranteed contracts.  Its not 100% of the SMS, and only a select few will get multi-year deals that are partially guaranteed, but that option is there now, and will help in signing certain core players early.  Players won't be hoping to sign a FA contract with guarantees, pretty sure each team will have used up their quota of guarantee before FA hits.  So if they want that, sign early.

Walters has never had an issue with signing players, or deciding when a player has priced himself off our roster.  And we have been lucky in usually finding someone that steps in.  Schoen for Lawler is the prime example.  Prukop replaced McQuire, who replaced Streveler. 

Retirements are going to be the biggest issue, I think.   Would have been bigger had we won on Sunday, how better to go out than with a threepeat under your belt. 

Lets hope that the new leagues don't poach too many players, and that our scouts have enough bodies in camp to compete at a high level.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Our list is a little smaller than I thought but it's a significant list. We'll probably hear about the players that had deals nearly complete but were waiting to announce post Grey Cup.

Regardless it's very probable we're going to lose some players for a variety of reasons: retirement, age and SMS will come into play. I don't really think we'll lose too many if any to other CFL teams that we wanted to keep.

However it's possible that a few older veterans may be SMS casualties that decide they want to continue to play and will move elsewhere.

I can imagine players like Benson and Miller could be considering retirement although both are capable of continuing to play. Neither are high SMS hits IMO but nevertheless I think probable retirements.

Taylor and Maston are injury related retirements IMO. Wilson might also be an injury casualty?

Let the negotiating begin with some good news shortly.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Bomber Diehard

I would like them to sign free agent BC kicker Sean Whyte if the price is right.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Bomber Diehard on November 23, 2022, 12:46:43 AM
I would like them to sign free agent BC kicker Sean Whyte if the price is right.

A 37 year old kicker?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Tee42

Quote from: Bomber Diehard on November 23, 2022, 12:46:43 AM

No you wouldn?t

Pigskin

DP12: Loves playing in Winnipeg

MM24: Still the leader with 20 ST, one more year.

RB88: Needs a bump in pay.
GE2:   Great receiver but not at $175K.
ND10: Long term deal.

SB66:  190K
JH51: 150K
PH53: 165K
MC59: 180K   Might be the odd man out.

MB40:  Sign him for another year.

JT95:  Didn't have his best year.????

WJ5:  Long term deal
JJ95:  At $175K I am on the fence. Injured to often.
CS90: Needs a bump in pay. Had a great year again.

AB4:  No Brainer.
KW19: If he can stay healthy, he can help this team.
JB34:  At the right price.
SG44:  Need to sign.

DL46: For the right price.
AD22: Keep him in Winnipeg.
WR30: Not at 125K.

Rutledge: Let's get him back in blue and gold.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pigskin

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on November 23, 2022, 08:32:36 PM
Leggs at 74K. Wow.

Wow what? ELC is about $64K so he's not exactly earning Medlock money. IIRC, that's the same money as Mourtada if he ended up on the AR, and he's an import.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 23, 2022, 08:43:20 PM
Wow what? ELC is about $64K so he's not exactly earning Medlock money. IIRC, that's the same money as Mourtada if he ended up on the AR, and he's an import.

How about BA37 at 77K.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on November 23, 2022, 10:33:06 PM

How about BA37 at 77K.

That might have been an amount due to knowing he'd miss the 1st half of the season?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

BA37 is an interesting story. 5 regular season games. not bad 15K per game. LOL.

5 regular season games. 8 DTs.

2 playoff games. 7 DTs

I really think BA37 just got going as the playoffs ended. Could have a big year if he shows up to TC healthy.