Let's not get to cocky on this board

Started by Austin85, October 23, 2022, 04:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: BBRT on October 26, 2022, 10:49:13 PM
like fine wine - better with age - or as my wife likes to say - turning into vinegar. I actually was a single wing tailback in H.S. and college - we were one of the last single wing offenses in college ball. And I bet you and I may be the only ones who know what the single wing formation was. And we even had a spinning back- back then. I came in at a huge 190lbs and was considered a big back in those days. Today I would be a small corner back.
Very cool. Glad you are a regular on here!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: John T. on October 26, 2022, 11:13:47 PM
I just keep thinking about the 1958-1962 Bombers. I was born in 1959, so I remember none of this, but my Dad used to talk about it.

The Bombers won four Grey Cups during that five year period - 1958, 1959, 1961, and 1962.

The year they didn't win, 1960, was the year they had the best team of that era. They went 14-1-1, and then lost the Western Final to Edmonton.

So I'm not pessimistic, but I'm not cocky, either. Nothing will ever change the FACT that we had the best team in the league in 2022, just like nothing changes the FACT that we had the best team in the league in 2001. But that's no guarantee.

We do not have the greatest history of winning Grey Cups when we have epic regular seasons. We can only hope these troops execute to the degree we all know they can. These guys have seen it all and know what it takes, so I think we?re are in good shape. The experience of last years WDF will go a long way in reinforcing attention to detail and shutting out the distractions.

The 2001 team had very little experience in heated moments. They barely squeak past the WDF and crapped the bed in the GC. Westwood choking on field goals did not help in that game. They really should of won that game but F Ups at the key moments pooched it!

The 1960 team perhaps one can expend but they won the year before so I do not know why they choked? I have the Kenny Ploen book but to lazy to look it up. :P

DM83

Come on negative nellies......  If ever there was a time to be cocky, wouldn't this be it.??

All the Bombers have to do, is "play their game"
What does BC have that can beat us?
secondly what will Toronto have in he Cup?

Now if something out of the ordinary  arises, ???? maybe??
(and we all certainly remember a number of those games)

However, we are a significantly better team (BC receivers injured, Rourke?)
Toronto, has a good defence. possibility.  But them thar eastern boys play in above zero temps and no snow for the mot part.
Playing in this climate every day should quickly acclimatize any of our ne guys.  Plus our big play guys have excelled in colder weather.

How's that for rationalized cockiness?

Stats Junkie

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on October 27, 2022, 12:06:12 AM

The 1960 team perhaps one can expend but they won the year before so I do not know why they choked? I have the Kenny Ploen book but to lazy to look it up. :P
I would put 1960 in a similar category with 2007 - injured QB

In those days, the west final was a best 2 out of 3 series. Winnipeg won game one 22-16 but lost Kenny Ploen with an injured throwing hand - speculation was that it was a broken bone on the back of the hand.

Game 2 - Vernon Cole made his first CFL start and he was backed up by Canadian Mike Davies. Ploen had his hand wrapped and he played safety. Edmonton won game two 10-5.

Game 3 - Kenny Ploen returned to QB in a low scoring game. Winnipeg was up 2-1 in the final minute and all they needed was a 1st down to run out the clock. Ploen carried the ball - he had the yardage needed - then got hit on his injured hand forcing a fumble - Edmonton ball.

Edmonton moved the ball into position for a last play FG attempt. TJ Coffey missed 3 earlier attempts but he was successful on the final attempt - Edmonton won 4-2.

Although 1960 is considered by some to be the best team because of the 14-2 regular season, consider Ploen's W-L records.
1960 - Ploen was 15-3 including playoffs
1961 - Ploen was 15-0 including playoffs (Grey Cup Win)
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

ModAdmin

Kenny Ploen was a pretty good defensive back as well as an A1 QB.  Great Player and one of those who made Winnipeg his home.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

BBRT

Quote from: ModAdmin on October 27, 2022, 06:00:25 PM
Kenny Ploen was a pretty good defensive back as well as an A1 QB.  Great Player and one of those who made Winnipeg his home.

Yeah I agree - as a kid I delivered papers for the Des Moines Register and got to go to a lot of Iowa Hawkeye games based on the number of subscriptions I sold. Got to see not only Kenny Ploen but Bob  Jeter, Ray Rauch, Alex Karris , Randy Duncan, the list goes on and on.

Jesse

Quote from: DM83 on October 27, 2022, 03:05:58 PM
Come on negative nellies......  If ever there was a time to be cocky, wouldn't this be it.??

I don't think I've ever agreed with you more
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Stats Junkie on October 27, 2022, 05:17:05 PM
I would put 1960 in a similar category with 2007 - injured QB

In those days, the west final was a best 2 out of 3 series. Winnipeg won game one 22-16 but lost Kenny Ploen with an injured throwing hand - speculation was that it was a broken bone on the back of the hand.

Game 2 - Vernon Cole made his first CFL start and he was backed up by Canadian Mike Davies. Ploen had his hand wrapped and he played safety. Edmonton won game two 10-5.

Game 3 - Kenny Ploen returned to QB in a low scoring game. Winnipeg was up 2-1 in the final minute and all they needed was a 1st down to run out the clock. Ploen carried the ball - he had the yardage needed - then got hit on his injured hand forcing a fumble - Edmonton ball.

Edmonton moved the ball into position for a last play FG attempt. TJ Coffey missed 3 earlier attempts but he was successful on the final attempt - Edmonton won 4-2.

Although 1960 is considered by some to be the best team because of the 14-2 regular season, consider Ploen's W-L records.
1960 - Ploen was 15-3 including playoffs
1961 - Ploen was 15-0 including playoffs (Grey Cup Win)
Wow that is crazy. Did not know any of that! What darn shame. Nothing compares this nonsense in blue Bomber history! But yes similar to the KG 2007 fiasco.

Thanks Stats Junkie

ModAdmin

Quote from: BBRT on October 27, 2022, 07:32:56 PM
Yeah I agree - as a kid I delivered papers for the Des Moines Register and got to go to a lot of Iowa Hawkeye games based on the number of subscriptions I sold. Got to see not only Kenny Ploen but Bob  Jeter, Ray Rauch, Alex Karris , Randy Duncan, the list goes on and on.

All memorable and great in their own rights.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden