Let's not get to cocky on this board

Started by Austin85, October 23, 2022, 04:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austin85

We haven't won the playoff game yet!! Other teams are ready and gunning for us. Remember the 2001 Grey Cup, a team with a 8-10 regular season record defeated us. Hopefully our coaches get the players focused for the final regular season game and we win. We have to go into the west final on a positive feeling!

Stretch

I remember 2001 all too well. Agree with what you?re saying, but I?d be more concerned about the team getting too cocky and I don?t see O?Shea letting that happen.
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

wpg#1

What I say or do or wear on game day, has nothing to do with how the team is going to perform. I?ve seen to many years of bad to not get a little cocky these days.
GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: wpg#1 on October 23, 2022, 05:33:49 PM
What I say or do or wear on game day, has nothing to do with how the team is going to perform. I?ve seen to many years of bad to not get a little cocky these days.
Good point! But 1 game at a time.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

wpg#1

GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !

dd

Oh my gosh, do we not know the difference between to and too?? Seriously

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: dd on October 23, 2022, 09:14:03 PM
Oh my gosh, do we not know the difference between to and too?? Seriously
No what is it too you? :D

winbear

What difference does it make how cocky we are on this board.  Makes no difference on the outcome of any games. The team has to worry bout those things, not the fans.

BBRT

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on October 23, 2022, 09:47:30 PM
No what is it too you? :D

Oh my - the language cops are out in force. ;D I will not mention the large international German company I worked for as a global account executive for many many years - but they had language cops that reviewed emails and let us know if they felt we were not using the correct grammar and syntax in our emails.

We always called them "the Soup Nazi's" if you remember your Seinfeld!  ;D - but no I am not going to get cocky in the least - I think Calgary will win in BC and they will be a handful in the Western Final here in the Peg.

TecnoGenius

Well, ya, there's karma to worry about, I guess.

But, for me, there's a difference between cocky and realism.  Saying "we'll beat team X" can be a reflection of reality when looking at the statistics and the matchup.  Doesn't have to mean we're cocky.

Saying nya nya na booboo suck it Greenie fans: now that is being cocky, and there's not too much of that going around on this forum.

No matter who we face in the WDF I think we are the better team.  And we are very consistent.  And our DC/OC are simply fantastic.  Thus I say confidently "we'll win", because unless something bizarre happens like when Evans had that horseshoe up his youknowwhat, we will win.

The players will not get cocky because they came this close to losing the WDF 2 years in a row, and this close to winning the GC last year.  They know what needs to be done.  Any rookies will be told by the vets (ring bearers!) what the deal is.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

It's funny, but I finally know what CGY fans got to feel like all those years where they just always expected to win, especially at home.  It's a slightly weird feeling.  You really don't worry about losing anymore, and when you do lose you feel like "meh, they got a lucky one".

When you're winning you don't have to analyze as much.  You're already winning, so why change the formula?  And it's easier on the ol' ticker as you really never doubt the outcome.  You get to sit back and just enjoy it more.  And there's a lot less screaming.

But I'm very appreciative of what we have now because it won't last forever.  When you're at the top, eventually the only direction to go is down.  So everyone enjoy what we have now!  We'll be able to remember these years, and these teams, for the rest of our lives.  It'll provide for great banter at games at IGF when we're back to 2013-level ball (gasp) and we're breaking the paper bags out of storage.
Never go full Rider!

dd

I don?t think MOS will let the team get too cocky, all he has to do is remind them we lost to Montreal at home and the Ticats, that should take care of any cockiness swirling around the locker room

Cool Spot

Quote from: Stretch on October 23, 2022, 05:22:46 PM
I remember 2001 all too well.

I do, too, and that was 21 years ago (and Wpg has played in 4 Grey Cups since then, winning two of them).

I also remember Dunigan hitting the upright in the 1994 Eastern Final, and how much that loss stung (it still does), and that was 28 years ago!

gobombersgo

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 24, 2022, 12:40:03 AM
It's funny, but I finally know what CGY fans got to feel like all those years where they just always expected to win, especially at home.  It's a slightly weird feeling.  You really don't worry about losing anymore, and when you do lose you feel like "meh, they got a lucky one".

When you're winning you don't have to analyze as much.  You're already winning, so why change the formula?  And it's easier on the ol' ticker as you really never doubt the outcome.  You get to sit back and just enjoy it more.  And there's a lot less screaming.

But I'm very appreciative of what we have now because it won't last forever.  When you're at the top, eventually the only direction to go is down.  So everyone enjoy what we have now!  We'll be able to remember these years, and these teams, for the rest of our lives.  It'll provide for great banter at games at IGF when we're back to 2013-level ball (gasp) and we're breaking the paper bags out of storage.

Yeah, its a different feeling when you expect the Bombers to win every game.

It used to be we'd look at the schedule and predict which games they had a chance of winning.

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Austin85 on October 23, 2022, 04:45:19 PM
We haven't won the playoff game yet!! Other teams are ready and gunning for us. Remember the 2001 Grey Cup, a team with a 8-10 regular season record defeated us. Hopefully our coaches get the players focused for the final regular season game and we win. We have to go into the west final on a positive feeling!

Debbie Downer alert!  ;D

BLUEBOMBER

I think Calgary had a great team.. great coaching, RBs, defence and coaches.. the only thing they lack now is top tiered receivers otherwise they will be unstoppable. I believe the Bombers better plan for them and plan well.. we beat them 3 times this season but the games were close.. it could have easily gone their way as well.

Jesse

I 100% fully expect to win both the WF and the Grey Cup.

We are far and away the best team in the league and, while anything can happen in a single game - there's no reason not to believe we're going to threepeat. I have no time for anyone trying to convince me otherwise because you do not have a leg to stand on.
My wife is amazing!

Sir Blue and Gold

*Shrug* we are the best team in the league this year no matter if we win the Grey Cup or not. My mindset has shifted a little bit as a fan -- for most of my life I never had memories of winning the cup and so I focused on that as the ultimate fan moment. The reality is anyone can win it and having the best team only ups the statistical likelihood somewhat. I suppose what I'm trying to say is I'll be a pretty happy fan regardless if they win or not this year. After a lifetime of mostly down moments as a fan we are having our time in the sun. That's enough for me.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 24, 2022, 04:26:33 PM
*Shrug* we are the best team in the league this year no matter if we win the Grey Cup or not. My mindset has shifted a little bit as a fan -- for most of my life I never had memories of winning the cup and so I focused on that as the ultimate fan moment. The reality is anyone can win it and having the best team only ups the statistical likelihood somewhat. I suppose what I'm trying to say is I'll be a pretty happy fan regardless if they win or not this year. After a lifetime of mostly down moments as a fan we are having our time in the sun. That's enough for me.

Agree 100%, I still give them a 50/50 chance of repeating and I'm happy with that as those are excellent odds.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 24, 2022, 04:33:09 PM
Agree 100%, I still give them a 50/50 chance of repeating and I'm happy with that as those are excellent odds.

For sure! A playoff loss would be disappointing but especially in a one game scenario there is a high degree of variability. We might get a bunch of key injuries early. The other team may make a couple statistically slim plays where our guys were in good coverage. Collaros could have a bad game, etc. To me, that's the fun of sports. It's no fun (and extremely frustrating) to lose all the time but when you're a consistently competitive team I think taking in the big picture is good for the blood pressure.

Horseman

Quote from: dd on October 24, 2022, 12:47:31 AM
I don?t think MOS will let the team get too cocky, all he has to do is remind them we lost to Montreal at home and the Ticats, that should take care of any cockiness swirling around the locker room

The team will not be cocky, but, some of us fans are getting cocky, remember Karma is a *****, just be confident without coming across as cocky.

theaardvark

Well, considering we haven't LOST a playoff game this decade... and the last year of last decade... and this team has the best record of any of those years, sorry if I am optimistic.

Oh, Woli and Ellingson practicing today...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Lincoln Locomotive

Personally I have been a fan of this team through 60 years and have witnessed their glory years under Bud Grant....and to a lesser extent Cal Murphy.   I was fortunate enough to attend the 2019 Grey Cup in Calgary which was my first ever!  We won that game in spectacular fashion with AH33 winning MVP and MOC awards something never done before!  As a Bomber fan suffering through 29 years of GC drought....I died and went to heaven that day!!   Last year's GC was some to behold as well and this season our expectations are that we will win it all again.    If we don't win I'll be disappointed but not devastated.   If we win it will be truly a remarkable achievement considering all our injured stars,
I'm good win or lose....albeit I prefer the former!
Bomber fan for life

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 24, 2022, 04:26:33 PM
I always said I can die happy in witnessing a newer GC win and we have done that back to back! The team is wildly entertaining this year. We need to make the GC for me to be happy with the year. Partly because I?m going to my first out of town GC since TO against the Riders in 2011. We need to be in that game, pretty please football gods! We win it,it is a win for the CFL records books which is always best slathered in Blue and Gold.

Plus now that we have Zach locked up is really a blessing! We should be a very successful club for the foreseeable future.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on October 24, 2022, 05:12:18 PM
Personally I have been a fan of this team through 60 years and have witnessed their glory years under Bud Grant....and to a lesser extent Cal Murphy.   I was fortunate enough to attend the 2019 Grey Cup in Calgary which was my first ever!  We won that game in spectacular fashion with AH33 winning MVP and MOC awards something never done before!  As a Bomber fan suffering through 29 years of GC drought....I died and went to heaven that day!!   Last year's GC was some to behold as well and this season our expectations are that we will win it all again.    If we don't win I'll be disappointed but not devastated.   If we win it will be truly a remarkable achievement considering all our injured stars,
I'm good win or lose....albeit I prefer the former!
Love it Linc! Cheers!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Austin85 on October 23, 2022, 04:45:19 PM

The 2001 Bombers weren't back-to-back champions with a player's coach like O'Shea, so it's pointless to make that comparison, IMO.

What we do on a forum won't determine how the team prepares for another playoff game, anyway.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

wpg#1

Actually, I'm feeling a bit cocky !
I'm think I'm going to buy GC tickets from an angry rider fan and go !
GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !

Austin85

Well of course not, we do not determine how a team prepares, and 2001 bombers should have crushed Calgary, but if you remember if you do, they lost their last two games before the eastern final and didn't play that great in that game as well.  Juran bolden sealed it with a late interception. I am just saying some people on this board figure we have it all done no one will beat us.  Well, that is garbage cause BC and Calgary are goof teams and we did get beat by Montreal and Hamilton, plus barely beat Toronto, and Ottawa gave us two great games. So, I just hope the team stays focused which we have great coaches and history doesn't repeat itself like 2001 or 1960.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Austin85 on October 24, 2022, 09:13:11 PM
Well of course not, we do not determine how a team prepares, and 2001 bombers should have crushed Calgary, but if you remember if you do, they lost their last two games before the eastern final and didn't play that great in that game as well.  Juran bolden sealed it with a late interception. I am just saying some people on this board figure we have it all done no one will beat us.  Well, that is garbage cause BC and Calgary are goof teams and we did get beat by Montreal and Hamilton, plus barely beat Toronto, and Ottawa gave us two great games. So, I just hope the team stays focused which we have great coaches and history doesn't repeat itself like 2001 or 1960.

Oh ya who, just who said that on this board we have it all wrapped up now? I have not read such BS on here. You seem to be good at making stuff up to make a point. What point that is I do not know. We all know the Blue Bombers history. Now quit being a pain in the *** for nothing.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: wpg#1 on October 24, 2022, 08:55:16 PM
Actually, I'm feeling a bit cocky !
I'm think I'm going to buy GC tickets from an angry rider fan and go !

sounds like a plan!

Austin85

I apologize I did not mean to hurt people's feelings.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Austin85 on October 24, 2022, 09:23:27 PM
I apologize I did not mean to hurt people's feelings.
No need to man! Know one said we are the champs now on here. We all know we have 2 massive games to win to win anything. But it is ok to be a little cocky as we have a had a dominant fun year. I myself have paid for 23+ years as a STH with little to no success. I for one am thoroughly enjoying is amazing ride, you should do the same. All good.

pjrocksmb

Best qb
Best DC
Solid OL
Good DL
Great receivers
Dynamic running game
Best team culture in pro sports

When you got it you got it

Win or lose this team is special and I'm already happy as future is bright in Bomber land

lockman

A good comparison is the 1987, Eastern Final. Tom Clements had a MVP season and the Bombers were 13-5. The Argos came in with a cold weather game plan. Clements had trouble throwing long passes in the cold so they covered short and left long open. We lost 19-3.

Zack is a stronger QB but BC and Cal will be looking for every weakness. Any Given Sunday.

Austin85

Good example I forgot about that one it shows anything can happen in a one game playoff or grey cup like 2001.

Tiger

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

ModAdmin

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Sir Blue and Gold

Jesse

My wife is amazing!

Horseman

I remember....Oh wait, I don't remember, never mind. :)

dd

Quote from: Tiger on October 26, 2022, 04:23:50 AM
I remember Marcus Crandell
The name still haunts me!!! We lost to Marcus Crandell, oh my gosh, if that isn't a sobering, snap you out of any we're going to win trance, nothing will!!!

BBRT

Quote from: ModAdmin on October 26, 2022, 04:39:37 AM
I remember Jack Jacobs.

I remember Forrest Evashevski - who taught Bud Grant everything he ever knew about offensive football. How's that for a golden oldie? I actually did see Kenny Ploen play at Iowa during Evashevski's time. I even remember the Wing-T and Double Wing-T formations that Evashevski used at Iowa and Bud Grant copied during his time with the Big Blue.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: BBRT on October 26, 2022, 05:42:00 PM
I remember Forrest Evashevski - who taught Bud Grant everything he ever knew about offensive football. How's that for a golden oldie? I actually did see Kenny Ploen play at Iowa during Evashevski's time. I even remember the Wing-T and Double Wing-T formations that Evashevski used at Iowa and Bud Grant copied during his time with the Big Blue.
holy yikes BBRT! I did not realize you were so old! lol :D

BBRT

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on October 26, 2022, 09:56:26 PM
holy yikes BBRT! I did not realize you were so old! lol :D

like fine wine - better with age - or as my wife likes to say - turning into vinegar. I actually was a single wing tailback in H.S. and college - we were one of the last single wing offenses in college ball. And I bet you and I may be the only ones who know what the single wing formation was. And we even had a spinning back- back then. I came in at a huge 190lbs and was considered a big back in those days. Today I would be a small corner back.

John T.

I just keep thinking about the 1958-1962 Bombers. I was born in 1959, so I remember none of this, but my Dad used to talk about it.

The Bombers won four Grey Cups during that five year period - 1958, 1959, 1961, and 1962.

The year they didn't win, 1960, was the year they had the best team of that era. They went 14-1-1, and then lost the Western Final to Edmonton.

So I'm not pessimistic, but I'm not cocky, either. Nothing will ever change the FACT that we had the best team in the league in 2022, just like nothing changes the FACT that we had the best team in the league in 2001. But that's no guarantee.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: BBRT on October 26, 2022, 10:49:13 PM
like fine wine - better with age - or as my wife likes to say - turning into vinegar. I actually was a single wing tailback in H.S. and college - we were one of the last single wing offenses in college ball. And I bet you and I may be the only ones who know what the single wing formation was. And we even had a spinning back- back then. I came in at a huge 190lbs and was considered a big back in those days. Today I would be a small corner back.
Very cool. Glad you are a regular on here!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: John T. on October 26, 2022, 11:13:47 PM
I just keep thinking about the 1958-1962 Bombers. I was born in 1959, so I remember none of this, but my Dad used to talk about it.

The Bombers won four Grey Cups during that five year period - 1958, 1959, 1961, and 1962.

The year they didn't win, 1960, was the year they had the best team of that era. They went 14-1-1, and then lost the Western Final to Edmonton.

So I'm not pessimistic, but I'm not cocky, either. Nothing will ever change the FACT that we had the best team in the league in 2022, just like nothing changes the FACT that we had the best team in the league in 2001. But that's no guarantee.

We do not have the greatest history of winning Grey Cups when we have epic regular seasons. We can only hope these troops execute to the degree we all know they can. These guys have seen it all and know what it takes, so I think we?re are in good shape. The experience of last years WDF will go a long way in reinforcing attention to detail and shutting out the distractions.

The 2001 team had very little experience in heated moments. They barely squeak past the WDF and crapped the bed in the GC. Westwood choking on field goals did not help in that game. They really should of won that game but F Ups at the key moments pooched it!

The 1960 team perhaps one can expend but they won the year before so I do not know why they choked? I have the Kenny Ploen book but to lazy to look it up. :P

DM83

Come on negative nellies......  If ever there was a time to be cocky, wouldn't this be it.??

All the Bombers have to do, is "play their game"
What does BC have that can beat us?
secondly what will Toronto have in he Cup?

Now if something out of the ordinary  arises, ???? maybe??
(and we all certainly remember a number of those games)

However, we are a significantly better team (BC receivers injured, Rourke?)
Toronto, has a good defence. possibility.  But them thar eastern boys play in above zero temps and no snow for the mot part.
Playing in this climate every day should quickly acclimatize any of our ne guys.  Plus our big play guys have excelled in colder weather.

How's that for rationalized cockiness?

Stats Junkie

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on October 27, 2022, 12:06:12 AM

The 1960 team perhaps one can expend but they won the year before so I do not know why they choked? I have the Kenny Ploen book but to lazy to look it up. :P
I would put 1960 in a similar category with 2007 - injured QB

In those days, the west final was a best 2 out of 3 series. Winnipeg won game one 22-16 but lost Kenny Ploen with an injured throwing hand - speculation was that it was a broken bone on the back of the hand.

Game 2 - Vernon Cole made his first CFL start and he was backed up by Canadian Mike Davies. Ploen had his hand wrapped and he played safety. Edmonton won game two 10-5.

Game 3 - Kenny Ploen returned to QB in a low scoring game. Winnipeg was up 2-1 in the final minute and all they needed was a 1st down to run out the clock. Ploen carried the ball - he had the yardage needed - then got hit on his injured hand forcing a fumble - Edmonton ball.

Edmonton moved the ball into position for a last play FG attempt. TJ Coffey missed 3 earlier attempts but he was successful on the final attempt - Edmonton won 4-2.

Although 1960 is considered by some to be the best team because of the 14-2 regular season, consider Ploen's W-L records.
1960 - Ploen was 15-3 including playoffs
1961 - Ploen was 15-0 including playoffs (Grey Cup Win)
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

ModAdmin

Kenny Ploen was a pretty good defensive back as well as an A1 QB.  Great Player and one of those who made Winnipeg his home.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

BBRT

Quote from: ModAdmin on October 27, 2022, 06:00:25 PM
Kenny Ploen was a pretty good defensive back as well as an A1 QB.  Great Player and one of those who made Winnipeg his home.

Yeah I agree - as a kid I delivered papers for the Des Moines Register and got to go to a lot of Iowa Hawkeye games based on the number of subscriptions I sold. Got to see not only Kenny Ploen but Bob  Jeter, Ray Rauch, Alex Karris , Randy Duncan, the list goes on and on.

Jesse

Quote from: DM83 on October 27, 2022, 03:05:58 PM
Come on negative nellies......  If ever there was a time to be cocky, wouldn't this be it.??

I don't think I've ever agreed with you more
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Stats Junkie on October 27, 2022, 05:17:05 PM
I would put 1960 in a similar category with 2007 - injured QB

In those days, the west final was a best 2 out of 3 series. Winnipeg won game one 22-16 but lost Kenny Ploen with an injured throwing hand - speculation was that it was a broken bone on the back of the hand.

Game 2 - Vernon Cole made his first CFL start and he was backed up by Canadian Mike Davies. Ploen had his hand wrapped and he played safety. Edmonton won game two 10-5.

Game 3 - Kenny Ploen returned to QB in a low scoring game. Winnipeg was up 2-1 in the final minute and all they needed was a 1st down to run out the clock. Ploen carried the ball - he had the yardage needed - then got hit on his injured hand forcing a fumble - Edmonton ball.

Edmonton moved the ball into position for a last play FG attempt. TJ Coffey missed 3 earlier attempts but he was successful on the final attempt - Edmonton won 4-2.

Although 1960 is considered by some to be the best team because of the 14-2 regular season, consider Ploen's W-L records.
1960 - Ploen was 15-3 including playoffs
1961 - Ploen was 15-0 including playoffs (Grey Cup Win)
Wow that is crazy. Did not know any of that! What darn shame. Nothing compares this nonsense in blue Bomber history! But yes similar to the KG 2007 fiasco.

Thanks Stats Junkie

ModAdmin

Quote from: BBRT on October 27, 2022, 07:32:56 PM
Yeah I agree - as a kid I delivered papers for the Des Moines Register and got to go to a lot of Iowa Hawkeye games based on the number of subscriptions I sold. Got to see not only Kenny Ploen but Bob  Jeter, Ray Rauch, Alex Karris , Randy Duncan, the list goes on and on.

All memorable and great in their own rights.