3 Peat ? Who retires ?

Started by Sec223, October 18, 2022, 08:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: ichabod_crane on October 23, 2022, 02:12:23 AM
I was more speculating kicking his tires if bombers lose some receivers be it nfl, retirements or other.

Sure. Every off season it comes down to where we can best spend, or most need to spend our SMS. We won't know who we might lose in free agency and what SMS it frees up. There will be several players around the league that may be of interest to the Bombers. In 2022 it was Ellingson but in 2023 there might be a bigger need on defence if a top player is available.

I'd love to get Lawler back for the right price and at the very least would see what his SMS demands will be.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on October 24, 2022, 05:15:32 PM
Why would he scale back his price?  And why would we invest that much in a receiver, any receiver, that is going to touch the ball 10% of the plays in a game, max. 

Rec's, IMHO, are one of the most overspent on groups.  Yes, they make big plays, and you need one or two that can.  But we seem to find guys who can do that, and do it on ELC's until someone else pays up for them.

Sure, I'd love Lawler back, but someone else will value him far more than we will.  That's a fact.

It's a 9 term league and not every team will want to throw out that much money to any non QB. Not every team has a need for a top receiver and he's only played for Winnipeg and Edmonton.

You think he'll want to return to Edmonton in 2023?  Yes top receivers have become an over paid group IMO as well. I don't see any team including the Elks offering him $300K again. They have roster issues all across their team.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 24, 2022, 05:23:50 PM
It's a 9 term league and not every team will want to throw out that much money to any non QB. Not every team has a need for a top receiver and he's only played for Winnipeg and Edmonton.

You think he'll want to return to Edmonton in 2023?  Yes top receivers have become an over paid group IMO as well. I don't see any team including the Elks offering him $300K again. They have roster issues all across their team.
Maybe a guy like Pinball throws cash at Lawler?
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Throw Long Bannatyne

I think they can re-sign Ellingson at a discount next season so the receiving corps. should be almost set, bring in another 10 fresh faces to TC again next year and see if they get lucky and find another Schoen.  They can save their $$ for re-signing Demski and the O-line, and shop F.A. for a great experienced nose tackle if they have nothing in the pipeline.

theaardvark

Its a 9 team league, so 1 will pay up for him.  No doubt.  Maybe not $300K, but no doubt more than the about $200k we would have budgeted for that position...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on October 24, 2022, 07:46:00 PM
Its a 9 team league, so 1 will pay up for him.  No doubt.  Maybe not $300K, but no doubt more than the about $200k we would have budgeted for that position...

Potentially winning another Grey Cup will increase salary demands from players. It's very difficult to keep everybody whether they prefer to stay tin Winnipeg or not. I think we'll have a clearer picture about potential free agents sooner than in previous seasons.

With the changes in the CBA this year we're seeing some early extension with some guaranteed money.

So we'll see who we might lose to NFL, retirement and free agency.

There will be changes. Which ones are just speculative at the moment. Also of note that some players might not be available to start the season whether we re-sign them. Players like Wilson, Hanson, Maston and Agudosi to name a few.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 24, 2022, 08:44:31 PM
Potentially winning another Grey Cup will increase salary demands from players. It's very difficult to keep everybody whether they prefer to stay tin Winnipeg or not. I think we'll have a clearer picture about potential free agents sooner than in previous seasons.

With the changes in the CBA this year we're seeing some early extension with some guaranteed money.

So we'll see who we might lose to NFL, retirement and free agency.

There will be changes. Which ones are just speculative at the moment. Also of note that some players might not be available to start the season whether we re-sign them. Players like Wilson, Hanson, Maston and Agudosi to name a few.

That's almost unfathomable, but backup OT Drew Richmond spent the entire year on the I.R. so I guess it could happen.