3 Peat ? Who retires ?

Started by Sec223, October 18, 2022, 08:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sec223

Time for a few guys to ride off into the sunset.

Jesse

Only guy who I think is a possibility is Stanley.

I think he's been considering it, but wanted to keep the group together. So a repeat maybe convinces him to roll the dice again, but I don't know...
My wife is amazing!

LXTSN

I have a bit of a feeling about Bighill as well... I don't like the way that feels to type out
He would probably be the toughest guy to replace next to Collaros.

bwiser

Jake Thomas might pack it in after this season. It might depend on whether the Bombers win the cup or not.

The Zipp

Mike Miller is on the sunset tour

M.O.A.B.

My guesses Bryant, Thomas, Briggs and Miller might hang em up.

Pigskin

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on October 18, 2022, 10:18:10 PM
My guesses Bryant, Thomas, Briggs and Miller might hang em up.

I agree. They all make sense.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

Thomas is still young, lol.

Quote from: LXTSN on October 18, 2022, 09:28:40 PM
I have a bit of a feeling about Bighill as well... I don't like the way that feels to type out
He would probably be the toughest guy to replace next to Collaros.

I don't know about Bighill. He certainly has the after football plan that allows him the opportunity to retire, but everything he says indicates he wants to keep going.

My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Why retire if you're still executing at a high level?  I think the sign it's time to retire is if you're in the tub too much.  Ellingson is a prime example.

The other is if you just don't like the pain/ouchies anymore.  Eventually that's got to wear on you when you get over 35.  Maybe it's not fun anymore.

Other than that, if you're in the type of fitness regimen that Biggie is, why are you retiring?  Dude can out-flexible and out-limber any of the 20-somethings on the team.  And he hasn't been in the tub once this season.  And Mike Miller: why would he quit?  He's rarely in the tub and keeps racking up ST tackles at a high level.

My gut says maybe we lose Fatboi and 1 of the 2 IMP OTs.  Maybe some of the older STers packs it in (Gauthier, Briggs).  Ellingson might get few/no offers in FA if he doesn't light up the post-season.

If we 3-peat then players on the margin will think long and hard.  Why retire in '23 in the tub when you can go out a 3-peat champ for the ages in '22?
Never go full Rider!

M.O.A.B.

If this team 3peat, for some it will be a very good accomplishment and probably enough reason to leave the game on top.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on October 18, 2022, 10:56:08 PM

I don't know about Bighill. He certainly has the after football plan that allows him the opportunity to retire, but everything he says indicates he wants to keep going.

Being only 5'-10" Bighill is naturally undersized for the MLB position and he really has to work his tail off to make it work, I do wonder how much longer he wants to keep doing that.  Many of the best MLB in the league are 2-4 inches taller and more naturally gifted athletes, closer to Wilson in build and athleticism.  Bighill is the AJ Ouellette of LB's, if he isn't working hard, he doesn't keep his job.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 19, 2022, 12:38:50 AM
Being only 5'-10" Bighill is naturally undersized for the MLB position and he really has to work his tail off to make it work, I do wonder how much longer he wants to keep doing that.  Many of the best MLB in the league are 2-4 inches taller and more naturally gifted athletes, closer to Wilson in build and athleticism.  Bighill is the AJ Ouellette of LB's, if he isn't working hard, he doesn't keep his job.

Yeah...Bighill's been the standard for about 11 years now...

I don't consider him undersized at all. If anything, he's the prototype.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Benson is another older vet that might be ready to hang them up.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

BLUEBOMBER

I would think that if the Bombers win another cup (assuming Calgary doesn't pull an upset of us in the Western Final), I think our O-line has enough depth that one or two vets can go.

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Jesse on October 18, 2022, 10:56:08 PM

Lol x2.  ;D

It's not always about the age. Sometimes, it's about the mileage or if the body can still hold up. Sometimes, it's about the push or a better opportunity outside the game.

Another possibility is Maston, just turned 29 but 2 injuries and 2 lost seasons. Heart and mind might be (still) willing but the body might say "I'm done".
Younger Hallettt might be another candidate. 

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 19, 2022, 12:38:50 AM

I don't think Biggie will retire yet (at 34) but if he still plays next season, we need to have another MLB that will play in rotation with him.
Sankey is a pending free-agent.  :P

LXTSN

I brought up Biggie for a few reasons.
1. He does have an after football plan
2. His shoulder seems to be holding him back a lot this season
3. He will have accomplished a lot and I think he should be very satisfied with the career he's had in the CFL

TecnoGenius

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on October 19, 2022, 11:49:33 AM
Another possibility is Maston, just turned 29 but 2 injuries and 2 lost seasons. Heart and mind might be (still) willing but the body might say "I'm done".

Yes, that's another possible retirement.  It saddens me as the dude deserved another chance, but it'll be remarkable if he comes back and can still be a superstar.

I think Maston will have 2 rings already (and get one this year maybe) even without playing (much) in '21/'22.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

There are departures every off season for various reasons. A few will be voluntary due age more than playing skills or SMS per se: Miller, Benson, Briggs and Thomas possibly. The need to find room for 2023 draft choices comes into play.

Some players there is a combination of extended / serious injury questions like Maston and Taylor ( he's also 34 ).

Not sure if current injury impacts the decision on Ellingson but he'll also be 34 years old next season. That's a TBD for both the team and him whether to continue playing.

Lots of older vets on our OL that earn their SMS but too early to tell when they decide to retire. Another Grey Cup if we win might be a tipping point. I think the team will try to bring them all back.

Free agency / NFL: Except for Schoen I don't see anyone else getting an NFL tryout offer.  Also don't see losing free agents elsewhere in the CFL among those we want to retain.

But there is always the unexpected that happens.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 20, 2022, 01:24:12 PM
There are departures every off season for various reasons. A few will be voluntary due age more than playing skills or SMS per se: Miller, Benson, Briggs and Thomas possibly. The need to find room for 2023 draft choices comes into play.

Some players there is a combination of extended / serious injury questions like Maston and Taylor ( he's also 34 ).

Not sure if current injury impacts the decision on Ellingson but he'll also be 34 years old next season. That's a TBD for both the team and him whether to continue playing.

Lots of older vets on our OL that earn their SMS but too early to tell when they decide to retire. Another Grey Cup if we win might be a tipping point. I think the team will try to bring them all back.

Free agency / NFL: Except for Schoen I don't see anyone else getting an NFL tryout offer.  Also don't see losing free agents elsewhere in the CFL among those we want to retain.

But there is always the unexpected that happens.

I think they'll get another year out of Ellingson unless his injuries are chronic, didn't play much this year but he was very good when he did.  I can see him wanting to do everything he can to stay in Wpg. just to be part of a winning team, but I wouldn't sign him for more than 1 year at a time, as he's getting real close to his expiry date.  If Schoen leaves, Ellingson picks up the slack in a very good receiving corps.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 20, 2022, 05:47:01 PM
I think they'll get another year out of Ellingson unless his injuries are chronic, didn't play much this year but he was very good when he did.  I can see him wanting to do everything he can to stay in Wpg. just to be part of a winning team, but I wouldn't sign him for more than 1 year at a time, as he's getting real close to his expiry date.  If Schoen leaves, Ellingson picks up the slack in a very good receiving corps.

I wouldn't commit SMS to Ellingson. He has missed too much football the last couple years. Better off using that money elsewhere or on another free agent receiver.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 20, 2022, 07:35:03 PM
I wouldn't commit SMS to Ellingson. He has missed too much football the last couple years. Better off using that money elsewhere or on another free agent receiver.

It comes down to cost versus benefit. IIRC he was going to get $180K. So a new contract based on playing time and performance could be worked out. At this point I expect he'll be back, particularly if we lose Schoen to the NFL.

NOTE: Ellingson only missed 7 games in the 5 seasons prior to 2022. 4 of those were in 2021.  That's not a player that is injury prone.  I might also remind you of how difficult it has been for the Bombers to find good rookie receivers before 2019.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 20, 2022, 07:41:16 PM
It comes down to cost versus benefit. IIRC he was going to get $180K. So a new contract based on playing time and performance could be worked out. At this point I expect he'll be back, particularly if we lose Schoen to the NFL.

I'd offer him $140-$150k, if he doesn't accept that, move on.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 20, 2022, 07:45:41 PM
I'd offer him $140-$150k, if he doesn't accept that, move on.

It depends on who we might acquire in free agency to replace him. It might depend on what rookie ( like Schoen ) we sign a CFL rookie.

Like I said, build in a lower base salary with good incentives and games played.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 20, 2022, 07:41:16 PM

NOTE: Ellingson only missed 7 games in the 5 seasons prior to 2022. 4 of those were in 2021.  That's not a player that is injury prone.  I might also remind you of how difficult it has been for the Bombers to find good rookie receivers before 2019.

Might be a player who is aging out of a contact sport though.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 20, 2022, 01:24:12 PM

Funny, Ellingson was kind of the Darvin Adams replacement (well, or maybe Lawler), because the team thought Adams was getting too old, too much tub time, too expensive, losing his hands, etc.  In the end Darvin has played every OTT game, and I'm sure is making less than Ellingson.  And Darvin is having a very good year, too.  Not as talented as Ellingson, but certainly talented enough to beat out McCrae or Boo.

Come playoff time, who would you rather have: an Ellingson in the tub or a Darvin on the field?  I never did like letting Darvin go.  Dude would have signed here for peanuts.  Ellingson is going to have to get out of the tub and play some darn good ball in the post-season to change my mind.

The funny thing is, we might one day see Darvin back in B&G if our IMP WR depth doesn't improve.

P.S. Darvin is 178Y away from 1000 on the season and has 2 games to go.  Ellingson is at 572.  Darvin's best year since '18.
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

I guess you could do the same comparison with AH33 and BO20. AH33 8 games, 490 yards, 0 TD"s. Out for the season.  BO20 all 17 games, 929 yards, 4 TD's.

Stove 0 games played this year.  Sayles. 17 games 32 DTs, 5 sacks, 1 FF.

Lawler 11 games, 894 yards, 5 TDs, out for the reason of the season. DS83, 17 games, 1357 yards, 15 TDs.

Pigskin

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 21, 2022, 03:44:29 AM
Funny, Ellingson was kind of the Darvin Adams replacement (well, or maybe Lawler), because the team thought Adams was getting too old, too much tub time, too expensive, losing his hands, etc.  In the end Darvin has played every OTT game, and I'm sure is making less than Ellingson.  And Darvin is having a very good year, too.  Not as talented as Ellingson, but certainly talented enough to beat out McCrae or Boo.

Come playoff time, who would you rather have: an Ellingson in the tub or a Darvin on the field?  I never did like letting Darvin go.  Dude would have signed here for peanuts.  Ellingson is going to have to get out of the tub and play some darn good ball in the post-season to change my mind.

The funny thing is, we might one day see Darvin back in B&G if our IMP WR depth doesn't improve.

P.S. Darvin is 178Y away from 1000 on the season and has 2 games to go.  Ellingson is at 572.  Darvin's best year since '18.

I like most bomber fans are disappointed that GE2 has been injured for a good part of the season. But when I look at 572 yards and 3 TDs in 7 games, I see a player that was having a very good year before he was injured.

The bombers have so many players that have missed a number of games this season and GE2 is only one of them. Wilson, Houston, Jeffcoat, Hansen, Taylor, Clements......... Injures are part of the game.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Pigskin on October 21, 2022, 06:50:45 AM
I like most bomber fans are disappointed that GE2 has been injured for a good part of the season. But when I look at 572 yards and 3 TDs in 7 games, I see a player that was having a very good year before he was injured.

The bombers have so many players that have missed a number of games this season and GE2 is only one of them. Wilson, Houston, Jeffcoat, Hansen, Taylor, Clements......... Injures are part of the game.
Not to mention numerous PI calls against him. He is really good at that as well.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Blue In BC

The current roster page string shows he was going to earn $165K. That's not Lawler money and he was having a great season until injury. I still like the idea of a lower base contract with  more incentives for games played and results.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 21, 2022, 01:16:51 PM
The current roster page string shows he was going to earn $165K. That's not Lawler money and he was having a great season until injury. I still like the idea of a lower base contract with  more incentives for games played and results.

If we can get him back for the playoffs it will be a nice bonus for our O.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on October 21, 2022, 01:50:46 PM

If we can get him back for the playoffs it will be a nice bonus for our O.

Yeah I'm hoping he starts practice this next week and possibly even gets activated and eased into playing. He's an obvious upgrade to McCrae as a receiver. McCrae could likely continue as a DI but putting him into a game then becomes a ratio issue which doesn't exist now.

I liked that dynamic of him being used a few times in sweeps or RB role.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 21, 2022, 03:44:29 AM

Darvin went from #3 or #4 on the check down to #1 or #2... Ellingson went from #1 or #2 to start the year to #3 or #4 as the year progressed...  targets is everything when trying to amass catches and yards.  If you ain't getting targeted, you ain't getting stats.

As to avoiding the tub, Darvin has done a good job of that.  After playing 13 and 11 games in the last two seasons for us, he has been healthy this year.  Ellingson has been relatively healthy until last year and this year...

In my view, Ellingson was a "replacement" for Lawler/Adams both.  If he didn't take Lawlers place, he could slot into Adams'

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on October 21, 2022, 03:32:22 PM
Darvin went from #3 or #4 on the check down to #1 or #2... Ellingson went from #1 or #2 to start the year to #3 or #4 as the year progressed...  targets is everything when trying to amass catches and yards.  If you ain't getting targeted, you ain't getting stats.

As to avoiding the tub, Darvin has done a good job of that.  After playing 13 and 11 games in the last two seasons for us, he has been healthy this year.  Ellingson has been relatively healthy until last year and this year...

In my view, Ellingson was a "replacement" for Lawler/Adams both.  If he didn't take Lawlers place, he could slot into Adams'

Not close to correct. Ellingson played 6 games and then missed 3. He returned and played one more game before re-injury.

In games 5 & 6 he caught 18 of 21 attempts for 98 and 152 yards. He was on fire and hardly the # 3 or # 4 target.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 21, 2022, 03:42:26 PM
Not close to correct. Ellingson played 6 games and then missed 3. He returned and played one more game before re-injury.

In games 5 & 6 he caught 18 of 21 attempts for 98 and 152 yards. He was on fire and hardly the # 3 or # 4 target.

Targets each game: 7, 7, 4, 3, 7, 14 (injured), 5 (injured)

He had one game "on fire".  The game he got injured in.  Games 3 and 4, not so much... so he was getting hotter, after dropping down...

Regardless, he's a quality player, a good team mate and an asset to the team.  I have no issues with him signing here again.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on October 21, 2022, 07:52:43 PM

He had one game "on fire".  The game he got injured in.  Games 3 and 4, not so much... so he was getting hotter, after dropping down...

Regardless, he's a quality player, a good team mate and an asset to the team.  I have no issues with him signing here again.

You're still wrong.  Compare the yardage Schoen had in those games. There is no way in the world you could have believed Ellingson was a 3rd or 4th target. Schoen had 24 reception in 7 games and Ellingson had 37.

Yardage: 74, 71, 73, 50, 98, 162 in the 1st 6 games. Collaros threw for less than 230 yards in 4 of those first 5 games.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on October 21, 2022, 07:52:43 PM

Good buddy with Collaros as well, I think that will sway his decision to stay for another year.

ichabod_crane

Did Lawler just sign for one year? He maybe could come back in free agency if he scales back his asking price.

Blue In BC

Quote from: ichabod_crane on October 22, 2022, 02:59:19 PM
Did Lawler just sign for one year? He maybe could come back in free agency if he scales back his asking price.

I think he did only sign for 1 year. We're jumping the gun though to think he may be returning. While I wouldn't rule it out it's too early to even know what our needs will be. Schoen and Ellington could both be back or both could be gone.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 22, 2022, 03:06:49 PM
I think he did only sign for 1 year. We're jumping the gun though to think he may be returning. While I wouldn't rule it out it's too early to even know what our needs will be. Schoen and Ellington could both be back or both could be gone.

Lawler will be going to F.A., he may scale his price down from $300k, but by how much?  I still think anything over $200k for an import receiver is too much and unnecessary, I'd wave $200k at Demski before I thought about Lawler, he's more critical to the Bomber offence.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 22, 2022, 03:23:15 PM
Lawler will be going to F.A., he may scale his price down from $300k, but by how much?  I still think anything over $200k for an import receiver is too much and unnecessary, I'd wave $200k at Demski before I thought about Lawler, he's more critical to the Bomber offence.

Agree. Getting Lawler back might be nice if we lose some receivers. Demski is  more valuable. He's a top player and being a Canadian hometown player is just an added bonus.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 22, 2022, 03:06:49 PM

I was more speculating kicking his tires if bombers lose some receivers be it nfl, retirements or other.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 22, 2022, 05:49:22 PM
Agree. Getting Lawler back might be nice if we lose some receivers. Demski is  more valuable. He's a top player and being a Canadian hometown player is just an added bonus.

Not one receiver in the league better than Demski at catching those over the shoulder homerun passes Zach loves to throw.

I'd rather they give Agudosi his big shot instead of  paying Lawler a premium to return.  I prefer the group format when every receiver is a threat, instead of relying on the #1 receiver to carry more of the load, spreading the ball out is harder to defend.

theaardvark

Quote from: ichabod_crane on October 22, 2022, 02:59:19 PM

Why would he scale back his price?  And why would we invest that much in a receiver, any receiver, that is going to touch the ball 10% of the plays in a game, max. 

Rec's, IMHO, are one of the most overspent on groups.  Yes, they make big plays, and you need one or two that can.  But we seem to find guys who can do that, and do it on ELC's until someone else pays up for them.

Sure, I'd love Lawler back, but someone else will value him far more than we will.  That's a fact.

Blue In BC

Quote from: ichabod_crane on October 23, 2022, 02:12:23 AM
I was more speculating kicking his tires if bombers lose some receivers be it nfl, retirements or other.

Sure. Every off season it comes down to where we can best spend, or most need to spend our SMS. We won't know who we might lose in free agency and what SMS it frees up. There will be several players around the league that may be of interest to the Bombers. In 2022 it was Ellingson but in 2023 there might be a bigger need on defence if a top player is available.

I'd love to get Lawler back for the right price and at the very least would see what his SMS demands will be.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on October 24, 2022, 05:15:32 PM
Why would he scale back his price?  And why would we invest that much in a receiver, any receiver, that is going to touch the ball 10% of the plays in a game, max. 

Rec's, IMHO, are one of the most overspent on groups.  Yes, they make big plays, and you need one or two that can.  But we seem to find guys who can do that, and do it on ELC's until someone else pays up for them.

Sure, I'd love Lawler back, but someone else will value him far more than we will.  That's a fact.

It's a 9 term league and not every team will want to throw out that much money to any non QB. Not every team has a need for a top receiver and he's only played for Winnipeg and Edmonton.

You think he'll want to return to Edmonton in 2023?  Yes top receivers have become an over paid group IMO as well. I don't see any team including the Elks offering him $300K again. They have roster issues all across their team.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 24, 2022, 05:23:50 PM
It's a 9 term league and not every team will want to throw out that much money to any non QB. Not every team has a need for a top receiver and he's only played for Winnipeg and Edmonton.

You think he'll want to return to Edmonton in 2023?  Yes top receivers have become an over paid group IMO as well. I don't see any team including the Elks offering him $300K again. They have roster issues all across their team.
Maybe a guy like Pinball throws cash at Lawler?
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Throw Long Bannatyne

I think they can re-sign Ellingson at a discount next season so the receiving corps. should be almost set, bring in another 10 fresh faces to TC again next year and see if they get lucky and find another Schoen.  They can save their $$ for re-signing Demski and the O-line, and shop F.A. for a great experienced nose tackle if they have nothing in the pipeline.

theaardvark

Its a 9 team league, so 1 will pay up for him.  No doubt.  Maybe not $300K, but no doubt more than the about $200k we would have budgeted for that position...

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on October 24, 2022, 07:46:00 PM
Its a 9 team league, so 1 will pay up for him.  No doubt.  Maybe not $300K, but no doubt more than the about $200k we would have budgeted for that position...

Potentially winning another Grey Cup will increase salary demands from players. It's very difficult to keep everybody whether they prefer to stay tin Winnipeg or not. I think we'll have a clearer picture about potential free agents sooner than in previous seasons.

With the changes in the CBA this year we're seeing some early extension with some guaranteed money.

So we'll see who we might lose to NFL, retirement and free agency.

There will be changes. Which ones are just speculative at the moment. Also of note that some players might not be available to start the season whether we re-sign them. Players like Wilson, Hanson, Maston and Agudosi to name a few.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 24, 2022, 08:44:31 PM
Potentially winning another Grey Cup will increase salary demands from players. It's very difficult to keep everybody whether they prefer to stay tin Winnipeg or not. I think we'll have a clearer picture about potential free agents sooner than in previous seasons.

With the changes in the CBA this year we're seeing some early extension with some guaranteed money.

So we'll see who we might lose to NFL, retirement and free agency.

There will be changes. Which ones are just speculative at the moment. Also of note that some players might not be available to start the season whether we re-sign them. Players like Wilson, Hanson, Maston and Agudosi to name a few.

That's almost unfathomable, but backup OT Drew Richmond spent the entire year on the I.R. so I guess it could happen.