3 Peat ? Who retires ?

Started by Sec223, October 18, 2022, 08:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sec223

Time for a few guys to ride off into the sunset.

Jesse

Only guy who I think is a possibility is Stanley.

I think he's been considering it, but wanted to keep the group together. So a repeat maybe convinces him to roll the dice again, but I don't know...
My wife is amazing!

LXTSN

I have a bit of a feeling about Bighill as well... I don't like the way that feels to type out
He would probably be the toughest guy to replace next to Collaros.

bwiser

Jake Thomas might pack it in after this season. It might depend on whether the Bombers win the cup or not.

The Zipp

Mike Miller is on the sunset tour

M.O.A.B.

My guesses Bryant, Thomas, Briggs and Miller might hang em up.

Pigskin

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on October 18, 2022, 10:18:10 PM
My guesses Bryant, Thomas, Briggs and Miller might hang em up.

I agree. They all make sense.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

Thomas is still young, lol.

Quote from: LXTSN on October 18, 2022, 09:28:40 PM
I have a bit of a feeling about Bighill as well... I don't like the way that feels to type out
He would probably be the toughest guy to replace next to Collaros.

I don't know about Bighill. He certainly has the after football plan that allows him the opportunity to retire, but everything he says indicates he wants to keep going.

My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Why retire if you're still executing at a high level?  I think the sign it's time to retire is if you're in the tub too much.  Ellingson is a prime example.

The other is if you just don't like the pain/ouchies anymore.  Eventually that's got to wear on you when you get over 35.  Maybe it's not fun anymore.

Other than that, if you're in the type of fitness regimen that Biggie is, why are you retiring?  Dude can out-flexible and out-limber any of the 20-somethings on the team.  And he hasn't been in the tub once this season.  And Mike Miller: why would he quit?  He's rarely in the tub and keeps racking up ST tackles at a high level.

My gut says maybe we lose Fatboi and 1 of the 2 IMP OTs.  Maybe some of the older STers packs it in (Gauthier, Briggs).  Ellingson might get few/no offers in FA if he doesn't light up the post-season.

If we 3-peat then players on the margin will think long and hard.  Why retire in '23 in the tub when you can go out a 3-peat champ for the ages in '22?
Never go full Rider!

M.O.A.B.

If this team 3peat, for some it will be a very good accomplishment and probably enough reason to leave the game on top.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on October 18, 2022, 10:56:08 PM

I don't know about Bighill. He certainly has the after football plan that allows him the opportunity to retire, but everything he says indicates he wants to keep going.

Being only 5'-10" Bighill is naturally undersized for the MLB position and he really has to work his tail off to make it work, I do wonder how much longer he wants to keep doing that.  Many of the best MLB in the league are 2-4 inches taller and more naturally gifted athletes, closer to Wilson in build and athleticism.  Bighill is the AJ Ouellette of LB's, if he isn't working hard, he doesn't keep his job.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 19, 2022, 12:38:50 AM
Being only 5'-10" Bighill is naturally undersized for the MLB position and he really has to work his tail off to make it work, I do wonder how much longer he wants to keep doing that.  Many of the best MLB in the league are 2-4 inches taller and more naturally gifted athletes, closer to Wilson in build and athleticism.  Bighill is the AJ Ouellette of LB's, if he isn't working hard, he doesn't keep his job.

Yeah...Bighill's been the standard for about 11 years now...

I don't consider him undersized at all. If anything, he's the prototype.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Benson is another older vet that might be ready to hang them up.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

BLUEBOMBER

I would think that if the Bombers win another cup (assuming Calgary doesn't pull an upset of us in the Western Final), I think our O-line has enough depth that one or two vets can go.

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Jesse on October 18, 2022, 10:56:08 PM

Lol x2.  ;D

It's not always about the age. Sometimes, it's about the mileage or if the body can still hold up. Sometimes, it's about the push or a better opportunity outside the game.

Another possibility is Maston, just turned 29 but 2 injuries and 2 lost seasons. Heart and mind might be (still) willing but the body might say "I'm done".
Younger Hallettt might be another candidate.