Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at BC October 15, 2022

Started by ModAdmin, October 14, 2022, 04:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjrocksmb

Blue72

Since Hansen went down the ST group hasn't been the same and MOS hasn't made any changes to improve the return game yet.

GOLDMEMBER

Injury Kolomcowski sucks but we have depth, thank god Couture is back!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue72 on October 16, 2022, 05:03:56 AM
Since Hansen went down the ST group hasn't been the same and MOS hasn't made any changes to improve the return game yet.

We need to figure it out. Teams get great field position a lot more then they should.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pigskin

Very happy with the game Grant and Bailey had tonight.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Dru & all the guys did much better than I thought they would.  OL whiffing a bit, D backups stinking a bit, ST cover poor.  But overall I expected 50-3 so what we got is really the best case we could have hoped for.

We saw that Dru, while a green QB, is actually pretty good.  When he needs to come in and make some passes, he can.  He may have a future in the CFL, or even as a Bomber.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Why was that last kickoff an illegal kick out of bounds?  The ball (from what we saw) never touched the sideline!  In fact, the BC guy stepped out and then touched the ball, meaning it was illegal participation!

I checked for a rule that if the player is OOB and touches it whether that becomes an illegal kickoff and I couldn't find any such rule.

So either the ball bounced OOB before the camera picked it up, or there was a horrifically bad call on the field that cost us a chance at winning, because BC would have started at their 5 and if we 2&out then we get the ball at center field.

Anyone know what happened there?
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Dru and Bailey lighting up fantasy!!  Who would have thought Dru would more than double VAJ in fantasy.  He was the best QB this week.  I couldn't find anyone picking Bailey.  Hope this washes away any angst Bailey was having!
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

What's wrong with our kick coverage teams?

What's wrong with our run defence?

I couldn't keep up with which players were playing with all the rotation. Bighill and Jefferson were watching most of the 2nd half.

I'll have to re-watch the game to see how much Darby and Holm played.

Bombers won TOP by 9 1/2 minutes and really played much better than the Lions on offence. The problem was the 2 pic 6's and coverage teams. For a team playing so many back up's, they weren't really the problem.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Stretch

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 16, 2022, 05:29:47 AM
Why was that last kickoff an illegal kick out of bounds?  The ball (from what we saw) never touched the sideline!  In fact, the BC guy stepped out and then touched the ball, meaning it was illegal participation!

I checked for a rule that if the player is OOB and touches it whether that becomes an illegal kickoff and I couldn't find any such rule.

So either the ball bounced OOB before the camera picked it up, or there was a horrifically bad call on the field that cost us a chance at winning, because BC would have started at their 5 and if we 2&out then we get the ball at center field.

Anyone know what happened there?

My take is that it wasn't illegal participation because he didn't come back in bounds and then touch the ball (which never went out) - it looks like he intentionally stepped out with one foot and then touched it. Smart play.
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

The Zipp

Quote from: Stretch on October 16, 2022, 01:37:46 PM
My take is that it wasn't illegal participation because he didn't come back in bounds and then touch the ball (which never went out) - it looks like he intentionally stepped out with one foot and then touched it. Smart play.

I have seen that in the NFL  a few times and I guess it works in the cfl too. 

Leggio had a really tough day (his best play was making tackles)

9 points off the board on missed kicks, 14 points against on two pick sixes...we could have won this one.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Stretch on October 16, 2022, 01:37:46 PM

How does that make it an illegal K/O? The returner stepping out before touching the ball doesn't dictate where the ball is before that happens. Unless it bounced out and then in but that wasn't shown on TV?

In any case why weren't we trying an onside K/O?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

You can bet that ST are going to get an earful this next two weeks, and there will be a lot of work done on them.

Leggs was short on a couple at the edge of his range (52, 53), and missed by a hair on the other(45).  No real concerning misses, BC place is notorious for "dead air". He managed to out kick/punt BC by over 5 yards average.

Coverage and return teams.. have to wonder if playing backups meant ST were stretched a iittle, with new players added as well.   Returning to starters and some film room will fix lot of this.

Dru getting picks out of the way in a nothing game is good, learning moments, film to study. 3td/2int is still positive, 325 yards was more than twice VA3's output.

I also do not get the illegal kickoff ruling.  That kick was dying in the perfect spot.  The returner was not forced out to retrieve the kick, he voluntarily placed his foot out of bounds (which then makes him ineligible to participate further) and then fielded the ball which was still in the field of play.  That was a huge reversal, should have been half the distance for illegal participation.

A couple bad breaks from decisively winning a nothing game, away, starting backups.

No "moral victory", but definitely a lot of film room material and learning material should we meet BC in the WF.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Waffler

Quote from: The Zipp on October 16, 2022, 02:00:36 PM
I have seen that in the NFL  a few times and I guess it works in the cfl too. 

Yes, that is the rule but I don't like it. Change it! If the ball does not go out, which it didn't, just make that the line of scrimmage. I see no reason to penalize anything.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Blue In BC

I just re-watched the game.

In the 2nd half Nick Hallett played at safety and Alexander replaced Holm. Was Holm injured or was this just giving Alexander a chance to rotate into new defensive options going forward.

There were so many substitutions on defence that I couldn't tell what, when or why they were doing what they were doing. It seemed this was just giving players game experience and that's fine.

The switch with Alexander was more a question whether I missed an injury and what this means going forward. Once Nichols is back we probably see him back to his spot and Parker back to CB.

That could mean Lawrence moves to DHB or maybe Parker flips sides at DHB if Holm is out?

I thought Lawrence played pretty well so even without an injury to Holm there might still be a new look secondary in 2 weeks.

2019 Grey Cup Champions