Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at BC October 15, 2022

Started by ModAdmin, October 14, 2022, 04:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Major line up changes for the game in Vancouver tomorrow.  Not surprising that the Blue Bombers will rest at least a half dozen starters as they prepare for the playoffs.

Dru Brown is scheduled to start and the guts of our offensive line will sit out for this game.

In:  #0 Clements, #22 Darby Jr., #32 Burtenshaw, #46 Lawrence, #50 Witt, #55 Lofton, #69 Machino.

Out: #1 Nichols, #38 Rutledge Jr., #42 Karamoko, #49 Hassell, #51 Hardrick, #66 Bryant, #53 Neufeld.

Depth Chart is here...

https://twitter.com/Wpg_BlueBombers/status/1580929002654822401/photo/1

The Lions will still be jockeying for second place in the standings but...

Let's Go Bombers!
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Blue In BC

Bombers output on offence a little less than recently. Defence gives up a few more points.

Bombers 34 - Lions 17

One pic 6 for our defence.  :)

Adams pulled from game by 3rd Q.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

LXTSN

Complete brand new OL! Not a single player there playing in the same spot as last week!
We will really be testing our depth tomorrow night.

LXTSN

Also, we have a great looking linebacking group once again!

Pigskin

Good looking group of LB's. Interesting group on the OL.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: Pigskin on October 14, 2022, 04:40:34 PM
Good looking group of LB's. Interesting group on the OL.
Your linebacking group was just fine last week.

Blue In BC

I think we see Brown moving the pocket more than Collaros this week. Collaros moves when he needs to quite well. OTOH I think with the changes on the OL and by design ( Brown is younger and more athletic ) that we see more roll outs and challenging the LOS with some runs by Brown? I don't think he'll be running for his life but I think we'll want to give the Lions something new to worry about.

Brown throws for 250+ yards and 2 TD's.

Prukop gets into game mid 3rd Q and throws for 75 yards and 1 TD. Scores once by the run.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on October 14, 2022, 04:48:20 PM
Your linebacking group was just fine last week.

They played a solid game, but I feel much better with Darby and Clements back in there.

Pigskin

Lofton has been around the CFL since 2017/18. Good size at 6'4" 293 lbs. 29 years old.

the paw

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 14, 2022, 04:49:48 PM
I think we see Brown moving the pocket more than Collaros this week. Collaros moves when he needs to quite well. OTOH I think with the changes on the OL and by design ( Brown is younger and more athletic ) that we see more roll outs and challenging the LOS with some runs by Brown? I don't think he'll be running for his life but I think we'll want to give the Lions something new to worry about.

Brown throws for 250+ yards and 2 TD's.

Prukop gets into game mid 3rd Q and throws for 75 yards and 1 TD. Scores once by the run.

I think you might be wishing more than analyzing here.  Dru's younger age does not automatically make him more athletic than Collaros (who is amazingly evasive).

Based on his college stats, I don't think Brown has any great propensity to run.  From his limited reps as a pro, I think he is mostly a pocket passer.  They may roll him out some, but I think if they want to test the LOS, they'll use Prukop.
grab grass 'n growl

DM83

Mr. Blue in BC,

I thought you and Linc were the smartest posters on this site.
In reading your logical comment, I became breathless and tired.  Can you imagine putting in basically a new offence with guys who have not  even played a down?  Rollin out involves changing the philosophy of  the team somewhat, with regard to blocking and the launch point, which would be totally different  than when Zac plays.

Trying to implement that would take a few or maybe, ok, .... two weeks.
and then what?????....... next week back to a more pocket centered same ole offence that is 14-2. with Zac at QB.

At best this should look like an exhibition game with a bunch of rookies playing.  My hope is the O-line can easily replace 50years of experience with total bare assed rookies., and Brown executes what he is familiar with.  If these new guys were any good, dont you think they would have been put in earlier..?

You have revealed a lack of coaching experience

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: the paw on October 14, 2022, 07:58:44 PM
I think you might be wishing more than analyzing here.  Dru's younger age does not automatically make him more athletic than Collaros (who is amazingly evasive).

Based on his college stats, I don't think Brown has any great propensity to run.  From his limited reps as a pro, I think he is mostly a pocket passer.  They may roll him out some, but I think if they want to test the LOS, they'll use Prukop.

Glad to see Zach has not crossed the line of scrimmage much this season, a couple of close calls earlier in the season generated enough worry he could be seriously injured running the ball.  A single first down gained or a meaningless game won during the season isn't worth the risk of losing him, when they haven't needed his rushing yards at all.

Blue In BC

Quote from: DM83 on October 14, 2022, 08:11:37 PM
Mr. Blue in BC,

I thought you and Linc were the smartest posters on this site.
In reading your logical comment, I became breathless and tired.  Can you imagine putting in basically a new offence with guys who have not  even played a down?  Rollin out involves changing the philosophy of  the team somewhat, with regard to blocking and the launch point, which would be totally different  than when Zac plays.

Trying to implement that would take a few or maybe, ok, .... two weeks.
and then what?????....... next week back to a more pocket centered same ole offence that is 14-2. with Zac at QB.

At best this should look like an exhibition game with a bunch of rookies playing.  My hope is the O-line can easily replace 50years of experience with total bare assed rookies., and Brown executes what he is familiar with.  If these new guys were any good, dont you think they would have been put in earlier..?

You have revealed a lack of coaching experience

Lofton is new to the team and he has some CFL experience. Dobson has been here all year. Couture is back starting.  Bombers have always moved OL around in practice to get them familiar with playing various roles.

Brown has been on the team for nearly 2 years now.

As O'Shea says, " next man up "

In the same way they have had different plays for each QB when he enters a game, based on their strengths.

Collaros is very elusive but IMO not as athletic and doesn't especially run by design. He also is very dangerous when he escapes the pocket but he's an extremely accurate passer.

Brown has not yet proven he can read defences as well or pass as accurately pass as Collaros. He won't have as quick a release and decision making as Collaros.   I'd say that is true for most CFL QB's.

IMO he needs to move more in the pocket to buy time to make plays happen.  By definition that's true for QB's with limited playing time.

Teams adjust their game based on changes in personnel. Expect Brown to play the same kind of game or Pierce to call the same plays?

Next week? Different story where I'd expect most of this weeks missing starters back. Might see Woli and Ellingson back to tune up for play offs.

We'll see.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

M.O.A.B.

Pete

Actually not a lot to be seen this week either.. No way is Hall or Pierce gonna tip our hand for future games. Both sides of the ball I expect to see vanilla.