Best points against, even with an extra game played...

Started by theaardvark, October 11, 2022, 04:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

16 games in, and we have fewest points against, even compared to teams with only 15 games played.

Missing many key players for many games, after losing a few key players in the offseason.

Pretty outstanding results for Hall and O'Shea...

Also lead the league in points for, although Calgary is 20 behind with a game in hand...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: theaardvark on October 11, 2022, 04:45:56 PM
16 games in, and we have fewest points against, even compared to teams with only 15 games played.

Missing many key players for many games, after losing a few key players in the offseason.

Pretty outstanding results for Hall and O'Shea...

Also lead the league in points for, although Calgary is 20 behind with a game in hand...
Considering how many key players we lost on both O and D we have exceeded collectively our expectations....we hopefully don't sustain any season ending injuries in the next two games....however we do have plenty of time off with the two bye weeks.    Securing first place with two games remaining is a huge bonus for us!!   I know the teams mindset is to keep winning however we need to play smart and I have every confidence in our coaching staff that they will do what's best for the team.
Bomber fan for life

Blue In BC

All great accomplishments. That said the only really important stat is winning the WDF and getting to the Grey Cup.  Then it's game on.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 11, 2022, 05:35:12 PM
All great accomplishments. That said the only really important stat is winning the WDF and getting to the Grey Cup.  Then it's game on.
THIS!^ these stats do not mean crap without a GC win.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Jesse

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on October 11, 2022, 06:16:43 PM
THIS!^ these stats do not mean crap without a GC win.

It's been a great season, of course it matters.

I am enjoying the heck out of this.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

What was that year, '18(?), when CGY was unstoppable but kept getting injuries and while the "next man up" worked for a long while, eventually the injury pile-up was too much and the team started losing.

We are CGY in that year, except our "next man up" is still working -- and it's now the end of the season!  It's astounding, really.  We have succeeded at it even better than CGY.

Our D regularly plays with an extreme surplus of NATs on the field.  So many all-star IMPs are out.  But the D still gets the job done.  Sure, not the same as '21 D, but that performance may never be repeated.

This is a testament to the coaches who make it work with what they have, and obviously have everyone on the roster (incl. PR) engaged and coached up to their peak ability.  And kudos to the players, especially PR players, who have absolute buy-in and work hard waiting for their day under the lights.

It's truly a great organization, and the envy of the CFL.  WFC should be proud.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on October 11, 2022, 08:08:55 PM

I would be thrilled with a WDF win.  Just like last year, I'd be ok with a GC loss if we put up a good performance.  Even '13-'18 CGY couldn't win it every year.  I'd have fun freezing my butt off in Regina just being there watching blue & gold.  The rest is gravy.

But just like in '19, the hardest game(s) might be winning the division, and the GC a cakewalk.  Hopefully a whack ton of guys get healthy (looking at you Wilson and JJ!) for the WDF.
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

I agree, love all the great stats, but the GC is what all the plays want. Along with that a nice pay day for winning it.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 11, 2022, 08:20:30 PM
I would be thrilled with a WDF win.  Just like last year, I'd be ok with a GC loss if we put up a good performance.  Even '13-'18 CGY couldn't win it every year.  I'd have fun freezing my butt off in Regina just being there watching blue & gold.  The rest is gravy.

But just like in '19, the hardest game(s) might be winning the division, and the GC a cakewalk.  Hopefully a whack ton of guys get healthy (looking at you Wilson and JJ!) for the WDF.

Oh, no. I fully expect a Grey Cup win.

I'm just saying we have finished the meaningful part of the regular season and it's a perfect time (for fans) to revel in the awesomeness and get all hot and bothered by the sweet stats.

Do you know Zach is the first Bomber QB to throw for 30 TDs since Khari hit in 2002?

By all means people, enjoy.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on October 11, 2022, 10:59:24 PM
Oh, no. I fully expect a Grey Cup win.

I expect it too.  But it won't ruin my season if we lose in Regina.  If it's vs HAM, I'll be fine with them finally breaking their streak, if they work to deserve it.  If it's vs TOR, they have a knack for pulling out GC wins with substandard teams.  I'll be somewhat miffed if it's MTL and they beat us, as they really aren't that good (but I have a connection to Rice, so will be happy for him).  If it's vs SSK, well, that one I want to win... but on the bright side a SSK win will save a lot of hara kiri in SSK...
Never go full Rider!

pjrocksmb

The classic win the GC or nothing argument.... while I can see why some say that, I don't agree.  We have had an incredible run and I'm so proud of this team, coaches and management.  All of these great games we won this year mean a great deal to the everyone involved, including the fans.  The greatness of this club is legendary and while that would be cemented with a 3 peat, we have already accomplished so much.  MOS has built a culture that can't he matched and the brilliance of Hall's defensive schemes and execution by his players is inspiring.  Oh yeah and our QB is ok. 

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on October 11, 2022, 08:08:55 PM

Of course I am enjoying this amazing rate of success. To the max in fact, but I am a worry wart.
it is in my nature.

M.O.A.B.

YUUP! All hands on deck comes WDF and GC.

Norm W

In years past the local print news (Thunder Bay) didn't publish much in the way of CFL news, perhaps its the decline in readership but I noticed this year the Bombers have garnered much more ink, after my dream about the Riders fluking their way too and thru to a Grey Cup win I read this article...

https://www.chroniclejournal.com/sports/local_sports/recalling-a-tough-day-in-blue-bombers-history/article_ce2fab40-4e34-11ec-8805-4f053b8803ad.html
No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire :)

Pigskin

I spoke to a bomber this morning who said, as a professional athlete I am here to win championships, anything less is unacceptable. They don't hand out silver medals to you for finishing second in the CFL, NFL NHL, or the NBA. I have always looked at the silver medal as a consolation prize for losing a championship. No one celebrates second place. He also said no one in that room will be happy unless we bring home the GC. We are the best all-around team in the CFL period.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on October 12, 2022, 12:39:38 PM
YUUP! All hands on deck comes WDF and GC.

This isn't to say our season hasn't been something to behold. The results have been remarkable although many games have been tense / close until the end. I'm too old for that much anxiety. lol

However the better the regular season results the more disappointing a loss in the WDF or Grey Cup might feel. It's a slippery slope. We all know anything can happen in one game which is why getting to or winning the Grey Cup is so elusive.

The better team during the season isn't always the best team on a given day. That's why they have play offs.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

ichabod_crane

Time to make history. First bombers team to three peat. If they had a mediocre year I would not be too expectant, but they have shown they are the cream of the crop again. Enjoy the ride is all I can say as these glory years go in cycles. 1980?s were a good long run along with real old timers in late 1950-early 1960?s for this team.

Jesse

Quote from: ichabod_crane on October 13, 2022, 11:54:28 AM
Time to make history. First bombers team to three peat. If they had a mediocre year I would not be too expectant, but they have shown they are the cream of the crop again. Enjoy the ride is all I can say as these glory years go in cycles. 1980?s were a good long run along with real old timers in late 1950-early 1960?s for this team.

Wouldn't mind setting the record with a 15th win, either.
My wife is amazing!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Jesse on October 13, 2022, 04:21:04 PM
yes that would be a Bomber best and they could still tie the CFL record of 16-2....not sure if it was Edmonton or Calgary?
Bomber fan for life

GOLDMEMBER

But Grey Cup expectations aside yes Ardy brings up a great point the Defence has held there end of the bargain this year.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on October 13, 2022, 04:21:04 PM
I would be something to cherish. No question.