Injuries

Started by theaardvark, October 05, 2022, 07:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Tee42 on October 10, 2022, 05:53:51 PM
Rust is real.  I am not a fan of long breaks. We have 2 weeks off coming up. 
would you rather have a little rust or completely not available to play?
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

pjrocksmb

Collaros will look fine if we rest him.  A wee bit of rust comes off quick.  Better to be rested and a wee bit rusty then fresh and nicked.

Jesse

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on October 10, 2022, 06:23:59 PM
would you rather have a little rust or completely not available to play?

Cuz it?s one or the other?

It is 5 weeks between meaningful games. You need to keep the guys engaged and in their routines.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Can BC or CGY clinch second before the last week?  It would be nice if at least our final BC game was meaningless for both teams.  I don't want to play our #1 or #2 team against a hungry BC that final game.

We need to hope either BC or CGY pulls ahead in the next 1 or 2 weeks.  I think BC has the season series on CGY?

In any event, BC will be balling in the next game.  Not great for us.  I really wouldn't even start any starter that can sit for that game.  It should be NAT-city on D, and get tons of game reps for the brand new guys like Hassell.  On O, start Brown at QB, JA27 RB, etc.  Dobson/Couture start, etc.

Then by the final week if the BC picture is decided, then we can start our regulars for a quarter (and they'll do the same).  We can make a wink & nod arrangement with BC that it'll be like a Pro Bowl game: no one gets hurt.  It'll work out great with the timing of the bye and the WSF rest week.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Not sure why you think so little of our team that we?re going to be so manhandled, that every player gets injured.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on October 10, 2022, 07:34:27 PM
Not sure why you think so little of our team that we?re going to be so manhandled, that every player gets injured.

Injuries really have nothing to do with whether you're winning or losing.  Look at Zach getting lit up a few times vs EDM when we were blowing them out.  Remember when Nichols went down and we were clobbering BC?  That was really his last competitive game ever.  Look at Rourke, he was winning handily when he got injured.

And the non-contact injuries just happen whenever, at random.

In years past I would consider the rest vs rust dilemma, but this year, with so many star starters already out, I want to take no chances.  Why take any chances with our #1's when we don't have to?  Again, guys like Bryant, Demski & Collaros are so seasoned that they really don't need to play to stay sharp.

We used to watch CGY face this problem year after year and they almost always chose rest.  They'd pull their best guys after 1Q max.
Never go full Rider!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 10, 2022, 09:32:03 PM
Injuries really have nothing to do with whether you're winning or losing.  Look at Zach getting lit up a few times vs EDM when we were blowing them out.  Remember when Nichols went down and we were clobbering BC?  That was really his last competitive game ever.  Look at Rourke, he was winning handily when he got injured.

In years past I would consider the rest vs rust dilemma, but this year, with so many star starters already out, I want to take no chances.  Why take any chances with our #1's when we don't have to?  Again, guys like Bryant, Demski & Collaros are so seasoned that they really don't need to play to stay sharp.

We used to watch CGY face this problem year after year and they almost always chose rest.  They'd pull their best guys after 1Q max.

Agreed!  100%
Bomber fan for life

GOLDMEMBER

I am on board as well! Techno HE IS MAKING A COME BACK!!! lol

Jesse

Because players who haven't played or played as a unit for 5 weeks are the kinds of teams that get upset come play-off time.

We will absolutely take advantage of helping injured players get extra rest, but it would be, imo, a poor decision to sit everyone down for too long.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on October 10, 2022, 11:00:40 PM
We will absolutely take advantage of helping injured players get extra rest, but it would be, imo, a poor decision to sit everyone down for too long.

Normally MOS agrees with you.  He's a "play each week normally" type of guy.  However, this year I think we'll see if MOS has matured as a HC and does a lot more resting.  He'll probably still start all non-nicked guys, but I think he'll pull players much earlier than he has in past years.  Remember, not only do we preserve the #1's health, but we also get valuable real-game reps for the #2's.

If standings get sorted out enough so that the final week doesn't matter to BC, then the timing of all the byes/breaks are perfect for us:

week 18: we went all-out to beat EDM
week 19: we can go rest-heavy, maybe not even start Zach (why give him the "L" stat?)
week 20: bye
week 21: if BC is locked in at #2 or #3 then both teams can Pro-Bowl it and start the #1's but play real soft/easy
week 22 SFs: bye
week 23 DFs: ball out 100%
week 24 GC: go mental

* bold are weeks we play our normal starters

See how nice and staggered our efforts can be if week 19 is a #2's week?  I think all our superstars can play quite fine with 2-3 week breaks in between.  There would be no 5 week break.

If BC's final standings position isn't set by week 21, then we have a quandry.  I don't want to stand in their way of securing #2 at the risk of injury.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

In an ideal world we want BC to be #2 so CGY has the harder time of beating BC in BC.  Might wear them out more before the WDF.

Unfortunately, CGY will likely steamroll SSK back2back if they need to.  But SSK will play hard as long as they still have a crossover shot.  They won't win, but they may make life difficult by making CGY make an effort.

The HAM@CGY game will be very important for 4 teams then: HAM, CGY, SSK and BC.  If HAM wins in an upset, it will screw up many West teams' lives.

If we really wanted to try to force CGY to BC for WSF, we could ensure we lose our 2 final games... Don't think MOS would ever do that, but it's an interesting thought.  If BC has to WSF it in cold CGY then I don't think BC has a hope in hades, even with Rourke.

Look at the final 3 weeks of games: the matchups are the best that I can ever remember.  Basically every team not named EDM / OTT / WPG is fighting for playoff positioning in a bad way!  It's going to be exciting and might we see some crazy surprises or spoilers?
Never go full Rider!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 11, 2022, 01:09:43 AM
Normally MOS agrees with you.  He's a "play each week normally" type of guy.  However, this year I think we'll see if MOS has matured as a HC and does a lot more resting.  He'll probably still start all non-nicked guys, but I think he'll pull players much earlier than he has in past years.  Remember, not only do we preserve the #1's health, but we also get valuable real-game reps for the #2's.

If standings get sorted out enough so that the final week doesn't matter to BC, then the timing of all the byes/breaks are perfect for us:

week 18: we went all-out to beat EDM
week 19: we can go rest-heavy, maybe not even start Zach (why give him the "L" stat?)
week 20: bye
week 21: if BC is locked in at #2 or #3 then both teams can Pro-Bowl it and start the #1's but play real soft/easy
week 22 SFs: bye
week 23 DFs: ball out 100%
week 24 GC: go mental

* bold are weeks we play our normal starters

See how nice and staggered our efforts can be if week 19 is a #2's week?  I think all our superstars can play quite fine with 2-3 week breaks in between.  There would be no 5 week break.

If BC's final standings position isn't set by week 21, then we have a quandry.  I don't want to stand in their way of securing #2 at the risk of injury.

Bravo. I really like this time table for the key players plus the nicked ones.

BlueInCgy

BC has the season series with Calgary.  Calgary will likely win out with Ham and Sask X , so BC has something to play for every game.  On the other hand, does how #2 and #3 work out matter to the Bombers?  Honestly it would be better if BC finished 2, I don?t think there?s much chance BC beats Calgary in Calgary , and a slim chance they beat them in BC.

O?Shea will keep everyone in game shape and speed.  That being said, I?d prefer Zach to not play, and possibly bench Schoen and Demski.  I don?t think either of those will happen, because there are team and individual records on the line.

DM83

bC is nothing as long as  Enron no read Adams. Has the ball. 
He is pitiful and. Can not read a defense. Same as Fajardo..

Adams is an outstanding div 3 QB, but change up the defense and he is lost.
Fun to watch, except when he starts crying.

For me I am inspired by a QB  or coach( not Lapo)  who pushes players to play on.  Because that is what you have to do to overcome any setback!.

In Adams case, it?s great he takes responsibility, but scrap the head in hands BS. 
Maybe his coordinator is crap, they are the guys who see coverages first..

Winnipeg, plays like a fine oiled machine.. everyone knows what has to be done.
The only problem Winnipeg would have is if the defense comes up with some crazy never before seen. Defense..