Darby

Started by 3rdand1.5, October 04, 2022, 03:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3rdand1.5

Twitter says we just acquired Darby back!!!

the paw

God I love Kyle Walters.  What a great trade to shore up the SAM spot. 

Darby was under-utilized by Hamilton, and we have two extra DEs on the practice roster to step up in Wilcots spot.
grab grass 'n growl

Throw Long Bannatyne

Glad they got Darby back but giving up on Wilcots after his best performance of the year hurts.

Blue In BC

Glad to get Darby back. I don't know if this means Rutledge is seriously injured or whether Darby will move to a DHB position. Either way it's good news even if he goes to free agency again in 2023. However he may now see staying in Winnipeg is a good idea.

Giving up Wilcots is no big deal IMO. A SAM or DHB is harder to fill.  IMO Darby must have fallen a bit out of favour in Hamilton. No idea why, but it must be a bit of an SMS dump. Wilcots might develop into a good DE but that's something that falls into a TBD for 2023.

Bombers get a starter and Ti Cats probably got a DI.

Count me as a bit surprised that the Ti Cats were willing to make this trade.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers acquire defensive back Alden Darby in trade with Hamilton

WINNIPEG, MB., October 4, 2022 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the acquisition of defensive back Alden Darby, Jr. in a trade with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats for defensive end Cedric Wilcots II.

Darby, Jr. (5-11, 194, Arizona State; born: June 22, 1992) returns to the Blue Bombers after being part of the 2021 Grey Cup championship team. He signed with the Ticats in free agency.

A veteran of 64 Canadian Football League games with Toronto, the Blue Bombers and Hamilton, Darby has appeared in 10 contests with the Tiger-Cats this season, registering 23 tackles, one sack and one interception.

This is the second time the Blue Bombers have traded for Darby, Jr. in as many years, acquiring him during training camp last year in a deal with the Argonauts for offensive lineman Terry Poole.

Darby, Jr. dressed for 11 games for the Blue Bombers including the Western Final and Grey Cup last year, all starts, and finished with 34 tackles.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

kkc60

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 04, 2022, 04:14:25 PM
Glad they got Darby back but giving up on Wilcots after his best performance of the year hurts.
i didn?t catch the game. what did he do? his stats show two tackles in ten games. I know stats don?t tell the full story but never really understood what they saw in him, especially compared to Mack or how much longer he would last with Adams here now

Blue In BC

Quote from: kkc60 on October 04, 2022, 04:54:25 PM
i didn?t catch the game. what did he do? his stats show two tackles in ten games. I know stats don?t tell the full story but never really understood what they saw in him, especially compared to Mack or how much longer he would last with Adams here now

I'm guessing Adams will be on the game roster this week and is seen as an upgrade. Wilcots did get a few pressures on Fajardo but I think he did more to work his way off the roster than keep on it.

That's a bit harsh but he did not impress me. Good luck to him in Hamilton. You never know how it will work out.

I still remember when Lemon was released ( wouldn't report IIRC to TC ) and thought " so what". Well look at him now. 11 seasons and 90 sacks later.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

Wow great move Wilcots was only ok. Now hopefully Rutledge can get back. If so secondary suddenly looks pretty good.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: kkc60 on October 04, 2022, 04:54:25 PM

He played much more aggressively than he has in the past and was getting after Fajardo well despite all the holding in that game.  Perhaps he knew he was being showcased and there were players already lining up to take his spot, but by far that was his best effort.

Lincoln Locomotive

Darby was reported to be a healthy scratch in the last 3 TiCat games?   What's up with that....anyone?   He does come when we need help in the secondary and I'm hoping Jeffcoat is healing quickly!
Bomber fan for life

theaardvark

Guessing Darby was made redundant by K Kelly in Ham... on an ELC and performing well... 2 picks against us...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

bwiser

Rutledge practiced today and Parker was not practicing today. Darby may not have to wait long to get into the starting lineup. O'Shea confirmed today that Taylor is out for the season.

DM83

Darby was one of the boys, so it seemed, here.  He was a great fit. and the defence was better with him.

I think this would be a good year imitate an NHL contender and trade for pieces that would improve our roster.

I am still suggesting another American burner at receiver, just to clear, threaten defences for our other guys.
Maybe a CDN O lineman
A CDN D tackle in case of injury.

None are a must, but like insurance even for he five games left.

Pete

I would think the main need is for a linebacker. not sure how long clements is out but is sure taking a while, and Bighill could use some recovery time.

pjrocksmb

Good trade, agree an LB would be a nice to have but we might be ok.