Trade deadline Oct 5, 5:00

Started by theaardvark, October 03, 2022, 09:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: The Zipp on October 07, 2022, 05:55:13 PM
Sergio says hi by waving at you with a hand with a giant Grey Cup ring on it...sometimes you need better players to get you that win.

Lawler is the best receiver in the CFL

Apples to oranges, even with injuries to 2 starting receivers this season, that has not been a position of weakness.

Waffler

Quote from: theaardvark on October 07, 2022, 04:55:04 PM
If the Bombers had any confidence in his health (to preclude him playing in the game he was injured in) they would have made an offer that Jones could not refuse, no doubt.  And the trade would have been done.

As it is, Jones gets the same result of SMS$ relief by Lawler heading to the 6 game... same as a trade. 

Jones may get SMS relief but he'd be better off had he picked up a draft choice for it.

Why on Earth would we make an offer Jones could not refuse? If anything we tried a low ball offer. I think it never got too far. The media is just talking to make noise.

You wonder who the source is.  I can't see it coming from Walters.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 07, 2022, 05:25:38 PM
I don't care, to me he wouldn't be worth it, he'd be gone again next year anyway and in the meantime he steals some other players opportunity to play.  Bringing in short-term mercenaries is a violation of the team concept IMO.

It would have been worth it if:

a: lawler is 100%.
b: Ellingson is out for the playoffs.

The team was not upset with Lawler accepting $300k from Edm, we moved on.  We would have gladly signed him for what our budget would allow.

He is probably the best "rent a player" signing we could have found.  And as to next year, he would again take the highest bid.  And we'd have Ellingson back, or Wolitarsky, or...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on October 08, 2022, 02:22:00 PM
It would have been worth it if:

a: lawler is 100%.
b: Ellingson is out for the playoffs.

The team was not upset with Lawler accepting $300k from Edm, we moved on.  We would have gladly signed him for what our budget would allow.

He is probably the best "rent a player" signing we could have found.  And as to next year, he would again take the highest bid.  And we'd have Ellingson back, or Wolitarsky, or...

It would have depended on what we'd have to have given up. Whether Ellingson and Woli are back in 2022 is not known by us posters due to lack of transparency by the team.

The SMS issue I think would have been a lesser issue. The 1 year contract is much the same as many other players on most teams.

I don't entirely believe this trade rumour but I would have been happy to get Lawler back for the play off run.
2019 Grey Cup Champions