Trade deadline Oct 5, 5:00

Started by theaardvark, October 03, 2022, 09:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jockitch on October 04, 2022, 03:19:50 AM
Please get Santos Knox
All would be great additions cuz we need to stuff Stamps running game in the playoffs

But JSK doesn't help us as he's WILL/MIKE.  Look at our direst needs first.  a) Assume we get Wilson back + b) we have tons of NAT depth at WILL, none at SAM.  JSK would be good insurance (for both WILL/MIKE) and nice to have while Wilson is still out, but it's like the 4th or 5th need at the moment.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 04, 2022, 03:07:58 AM
What makes you think the Riders won't be the crossover team?

Because SSK will not win another game that matters.  The only shot is @HAM and I think HAM eats them raw: like super-embarrassing evisceration.

Even if SSK wins @HAM they'll never win vs CGY.

HAM is basically guaranteed 2 wins vs a tryouts-for-next-year OTT.  HAM has an extra game still.  If HAM wins just 1 of HAM/CGY then even if SSK wins vs HAM, HAM blocks the crossover because of the "must have more points" rule.

I will bet huge money that SSK wins no meaningful game the rest of the season.  They are demoralized and in disarray and they have no answers.  The coaching is hopeless and I think CD is the witch that gets burned (the first of many).  The Riders forums are right: "gosh gee, the boys tried hard" by Mr. Furley / Elmer Fudd is not good enough.  The locker room was lost weeks ago and the players don't care anymore.  Even Cody is (basically said it) just thinking about his FA contract marketing and is probably pretty aware he's not likely to be back in green next year.  I could go on: these 3 wins vs SSK have got me studying them pretty closely.
Never go full Rider!

Waffler

I would love it if Sask did not get the crossover but I still think the home Grey Cup might inspire them. And it remains to be seen if the final week Calgary game will be just a tune up for Calgary.  Lots to be played yet.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 04, 2022, 05:09:33 AM
Because SSK will not win another game that matters.  The only shot is @HAM and I think HAM eats them raw: like super-embarrassing evisceration.

Even if SSK wins @HAM they'll never win vs CGY.

HAM is basically guaranteed 2 wins vs a tryouts-for-next-year OTT.  HAM has an extra game still.  If HAM wins just 1 of HAM/CGY then even if SSK wins vs HAM, HAM blocks the crossover because of the "must have more points" rule.

I will bet huge money that SSK wins no meaningful game the rest of the season.  They are demoralized and in disarray and they have no answers.  The coaching is hopeless and I think CD is the witch that gets burned (the first of many).  The Riders forums are right: "gosh gee, the boys tried hard" by Mr. Furley / Elmer Fudd is not good enough.  The locker room was lost weeks ago and the players don't care anymore.  Even Cody is (basically said it) just thinking about his FA contract marketing and is probably pretty aware he's not likely to be back in green next year.  I could go on: these 3 wins vs SSK have got me studying them pretty closely.

Riders are still a better team than the 4 - 10 Ti Cats.  Counting on the Ti Cats winning 2 of their 4 remaining games is iffy at best regardless of which teams they play.  Even that requires the Riders to lose out.

We'll see how that works out this weekend. The Ti Cats need to win or it's curtains.

I'll be a bit surprised if we actually make a trade. It's not something we see the Bombers do often but it's possible I suppose.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

KINGCHARLES

What trade leverage could we possibly have anywhere?
Draft picks?
Neg list player(s)?
Depth OL?

What about the possibility of trading Johnny Augustine to Edm, Hamilton or Ottawa?
With Ellingson poised to come back at some point maybe even Wolitarsky, McCrae could backup Oliveira.
They could tack on a conditional draft pick choice to that trade and legit get a starting SAM or CB/DB?
or straight up a conditional draft pick and neg list player for a SAM or CB/DB and no Augustine involved.
(side note: with the emergence of rookie RB Kevin Brown in Edm, they wouldn't need Augustine)

My guess: I don't see the Canadian Mafia making any moves but if they do its because they see the same actual weakness we keyboard warriors see and our biggest weakness, Secondary/SAM.
reminder this is a 13-2 team thats been winning games at various times of the season with 2nd and 3rd string guys at CB, DB, S, SAM, WIL, DE, WR, SB and C.
BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS

PurpleReign

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 04, 2022, 02:31:22 AM
Ya, a good football team with 13 on the IR... That includes 8 that I would call our superstars.  Actually, 14 and 9 if we add Rutledge this week.

It's all well and good, but like MOAB says, KW could make some plays for trades without MOS consulting/knowing.

I'm telling you, we aren't rolling into the playoffs with 2 NATs starting at LB.  It's not happening.  So either we get Wilson back pronto, or new, vet blood will be brought in.

I can't recall us ever starting a NAT at SAM!!  Someone said maybe move BA to SAM and start Hallett.  That might work, but is not ideal.

Wilson will not be back. But Ellingson and Houston will be.

theaardvark

I can see a few minor moves, some INT depth at LB or DB.  I can't see anything on O at all.  If a stud, like Ceresna, comes available, I'm not sure we win the bidding war for him.

I'm happy standing pat, especially if guys are coming back off IR.  We have no idea who is coming back, or when.  This roster, healthy, is about as good as you can get.  And, if any of the high$ guys come off the 6game, that's SMS issues that may preclude picking up a player.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

LXTSN

I've been wrong about basically everything this year, but I'm guessing that they stay put.
We have more than a month to get healthier and I think that's what we do. If we clinch our spot this week, we don't play another meaningful game until the second weekend of November.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on October 04, 2022, 03:21:38 AM
IIRC, Santos-Knox burned the bridge when he left Winnipeg.

What bridge did he burn exactly? He signed with Edmonton as a free agent in 2019 for more than what the Bombers were able to offer him.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Waffler

Huge.  Price was right too. For us.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

M.O.A.B.

Blue In BC

Quote from: PurpleReign on October 04, 2022, 02:50:19 PM
Wilson will not be back. But Ellingson and Houston will be.

What gives you the impression Houston will be back? I'd be happy to have that happen but have you heard something specific?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

It's trigger pulling day!

3DN says they've released Kelvin McKnight.

Recently released Ti-Cat DB Desmond Lawrence is apparently being brought in as well.