Riders at TiCats GDT

Started by GOLDMEMBER, October 07, 2022, 11:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdrattops

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 08, 2022, 04:19:51 AM
;D ;D

This play is going to need some major dissection by our forum over the next few days.  It even took all the refs and command many minutes to consult the rule book.  That's what I love about the CFL: each week we get another weird thing we've (almost) never seen that requires a deep dive into the rule book.

I think the key issue on this play, and Andre said it, was the kicker dribbled the ball (kicked it) as his first touch on it.  He's onside team A so I think the halo doesn't come into play, and since he dribbled it it becomes a free-for-all with no halo rules.  If any HAM touched it, it was after the dribble, that's why there's no no-yards.  However, I will have to hit the book to confirm this.

I finally had a chance to watch this game and slowed this play down on the PVR.  Believe or not the correct call was made on the field, Andre just lost his words in his explanation.  As an official, here is how the play played out:

The punter is always onside and had the first touch after the ball crossed the line of scrimmage, legal touch.  He dribbles the ball, so all Sask players behind the dribble including himself are onside, the remainder are offside but do not have to give yards, they just can't touch the ball.  Hamilton player touches the ball (not with his foot) and hits it forward unintentionally, so the ball now becomes live for everyone on the field.  Sask players recover.  The first down mark doesn't matter at this point as the touches constitute a change in possession.  Andre's explanation is classic Andre, the guy is a CFL legend and will be a future HOF.

bomb squad

Not one of Evans best games for sure, but he did enough at the right times to pull out a win. That 7 minute drive against the wind in the 4th was impressive. While Hills was the man, Evans did make several key 2nd and long conversions with some nice strikes into the middle at critical times. IMO his issue is he's too hyper. Needs to calm down a bit and I think he'll be a fine qb in this league.

bomb squad

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 08, 2022, 04:35:16 AM
I liked watching the game, and was pretty nervous for most of it.  SSK actually played better than HAM on both sides for nearly 3 quarters.  They were moving the ball and keeping up with ToP.  Their D was limiting what Evans could do.  I was getting worried SSK was going to pull off a win, as for a long while a couple of big plays and a FG would have given them the lead; then the chances for a TD drive with plenty of time.

It's ironic that in the end it was the SSK D that lost the game by allowing a, what, 9 minute drive to drain the 4th Q.  Their much vaunted D!  (Precisely what HAM did to us, BTW.)  Then Cody/Maas come out and crap the bed.  Ignore the run, which was just starting to work a bit.  Maas starts making Cody throw balls he can't do, and their WR/SBs suck donkey parts.

Cody never did dial in the longer ball (even when just a wide-out) with the wind.  Every single one sailed on him with the wind.  He needed to adjust, and he didn't.

A team with heart might have gotten that last drive TD.  But I knew SSK was a deflated, defeated team after watching them vs us 3 times.  They feel about themselves exactly what the fans are saying.  It's really too bad as they really had a chance to drive the field with the wind at the end for the win.

Following the Riders forum the whole time was fun.  It's interesting that they gave up on their team way too early, like in the 3rd Q, when SSK was still doing ok.

Like I said last week, SSK won't win another meaningful game and HAM gets the playoff spot with 2 wins vs free-spot OTT.  The funny thing was neither team really played like they cared to win tonight.  Doesn't matter, neither is/was going anywhere in the playoffs.  And those 4th Q misconduct penalties on HAM were completely inexcusable.  Almost gave SSK the game.

I guess my dream now is a threepeat of HAM vs WPG in the GC!  We would eat 'em raw.

I don't know, I think the emergence of Hills in the running game has made Hamilton a bit of wildcard there in the East now.

Pete

Quote from: bwiser on October 08, 2022, 03:01:49 PM
The Riders are going to clean house when the season is over. I think Dickenson and Maas lose their job no matter if the Riders make the playoffs or not.
I listened a bit to the Rider call in show, among the guys they want gone include, Evans,Cooper,Duke, Edam,Fajardo,AC Leonard,1/2 the offensive line,and of course ODay and the entire coaching staff!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: bomb squad on October 08, 2022, 04:40:30 PM
I don't know, I think the emergence of Hills in the running game has made Hamilton a bit of wildcard there in the East now.

If LaPo would have found a RB like Hills he might still have a job, they desperately needed a strong running game to make his offence work.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: bomb squad on October 08, 2022, 04:35:54 PM
Not one of Evans best games for sure, but he did enough at the right times to pull out a win. That 7 minute drive against the wind in the 4th was impressive. While Hills was the man, Evans did make several key 2nd and long conversions with some nice strikes into the middle at critical times. IMO his issue is he's too hyper. Needs to calm down a bit and I think he'll be a fine qb in this league.

Nah, Dane Evans is a headcase, he has adequate tools but not the mindset to put them to good use.  If I'm Steinauer I've seen enough this year to know not to tie my coaching career to Evans kite.  Maybe in time he can become another Trevor Harris, but after this season, I'd only trust him in a backup role. 

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 08, 2022, 06:33:59 PM
If LaPo would have found a RB like Hills he might still have a job, they desperately needed a strong running game to make his offence work.

Lapo did find Powell!  But he Powelled into the tub pronto along with Masoli, and thus Lapo is gone.  Funny how super bad luck can cost you your job in football.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: jdrattops on October 08, 2022, 03:05:05 PM
The punter is always onside and had the first touch after the ball crossed the line of scrimmage, legal touch.  He dribbles the ball, so all Sask players behind the dribble including himself are onside, the remainder are offside but do not have to give yards, they just can't touch the ball.  Hamilton player touches the ball (not with his foot) and hits it forward unintentionally, so the ball now becomes live for everyone on the field.  Sask players recover.  The first down mark doesn't matter at this point as the touches constitute a change in possession.  Andre's explanation is classic Andre, the guy is a CFL legend and will be a future HOF.

I forgot the onside/offside dribble aspect.  The offisde-don't-give-halo thing doesn't ring a bell so I'll have to check that out, but I'll take your word for it for now!

I agree on Andre, I love that dude, and if refs can get in HoF, he deserves it.  I think the league will be worse off when he retires or heads to take over command center.

Which reminds me; always worth a chuckle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGLj4b--lXs
I jest because I love.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 08, 2022, 02:48:52 PM
How did the Ti Cats manage to sack Fajardo 7 times while the Bombers didn't manage to do it once in the last game?

Cats were bringing lots of heat all game.  We still mostly tried to get through with 4.  Plus, Hickson was still in vs us and he's a much better blocker than the straight-off-the-plane Cooper.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 08, 2022, 02:48:52 PM
How did the Ti Cats manage to sack Fajardo 7 times while the Bombers didn't manage to do it once in the last game?

Plus the Elks sacked him 8 times with only 3 rushers.  I think without Jeffcoat the Bombers were more concerned with containing Fajardo than sacking him, knowing if contained to the pocket he would have a hard time hitting receivers.  Both methods worked.

dd

Our pass rush has not been as dominating as they have been in past seasons. Is it the loss of Richardson and the blocking he demanded that is the difference?.

Blue In BC

Quote from: dd on October 09, 2022, 02:28:16 PM
Our pass rush has not been as dominating as they have been in past seasons. Is it the loss of Richardson and the blocking he demanded that is the difference?.

That's part of the reason. I think another reason is that our SAM and WIL have not been as active in blitzes and / or not as effective as in 2021. The scheme has changed somewhat once we lost Wilson to injury.  Rutledge is a rookie and bumped this week for Kramdi.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 09, 2022, 03:14:27 PM
That's part of the reason. I think another reason is that our SAM and WIL have not been as active in blitzes and / or not as effective as in 2021. The scheme has changed somewhat once we lost Wilson to injury.  Rutledge is a rookie and bumped this week for Kramdi.

I noticed Redha Kramdi is pretty fast, they sent him on blitzes a few times, he also hits like a ton of bricks.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 09, 2022, 03:23:12 PM
I noticed Redha Kramdi is pretty fast, they sent him on blitzes a few times, he also hits like a ton of bricks.

He did fine for his 1st start. Having a Canadian that can play is always a good thing. He's been good on ST's and now he's starting on defence so we'll see how he progresses over the next two games.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Knocker42

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 09, 2022, 03:14:27 PM

We do not have Richardson. We do not have Kongbo.  Jeffcoat has been out or playing hurt for much of the season.  Our linebacking crew has been missing a few guys and Bighill has a shoulder issue.  How could we NOT have a drop off?