Blue Bombers add to practice roster - September 20, 2022

Started by ModAdmin, September 20, 2022, 03:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guyinfla89

Doubtful a 5'10" guy is going to help much in the secondary?  We need to replace Parker asap.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: guyinfla89 on September 23, 2022, 06:56:57 PM
Doubtful a 5'10" guy is going to help much in the secondary?  We need to replace Parker asap.

Parker has been making good plays.  Halfway through the painful WPG@HAM rewatch and Parker is close to the ball and making shoestring tackles all over the place.

I think the weak link that game was Holm, and I would expect we sit him in the next game (unless we think we'll easily hose SSK).

I also think Hall was simplifying the D for the 2 new field-side guys.  We played a lot of zone or mixed zone.  And I think Parker/Holm are still under strict instructions to play off their man to cut off the explosion.  And it mostly worked.  Unfortunately, that let Evans get consistent 10+ yard gains throwing wide to Parker's man.  And we didn't shut it off because we didn't want Parker/Holm to get beat over the top.

This is a deliberate decision by Hall.

I would shuffle BA into CB or HB (either side), leave Parker where he is, and have the extra vet play CB on Parker's side.  Hallett starts FS again.
Never go full Rider!

NewBlue

Huh, live I thought Holm had the better game and that Parker was burnt a couple times.  I didn't rewatch though, and will have to take your word.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 23, 2022, 09:25:12 PM
Parker has been making good plays.  Halfway through the painful WPG@HAM rewatch and Parker is close to the ball and making shoestring tackles all over the place.

I think the weak link that game was Holm, and I would expect we sit him in the next game (unless we think we'll easily hose SSK).

I also think Hall was simplifying the D for the 2 new field-side guys.  We played a lot of zone or mixed zone.  And I think Parker/Holm are still under strict instructions to play off their man to cut off the explosion.  And it mostly worked.  Unfortunately, that let Evans get consistent 10+ yard gains throwing wide to Parker's man.  And we didn't shut it off because we didn't want Parker/Holm to get beat over the top.

This is a deliberate decision by Hall.

I would shuffle BA into CB or HB (either side), leave Parker where he is, and have the extra vet play CB on Parker's side.  Hallett starts FS again.

Holm isn't sitting

TecnoGenius

Quote from: NewBlue on September 23, 2022, 09:29:58 PM
Huh, live I thought Holm had the better game and that Parker was burnt a couple times.  I didn't rewatch though, and will have to take your word.
Quote from: pjrocksmb on September 24, 2022, 02:52:36 AM
Holm isn't sitting

Holm might get another shot next week since SSK should be a free bingo spot.  He's 3 games short of Parker on games dressed this year, and far less games than that started.  Parker's had more time to get used to things.

Parker seems to be in position more often, and Holm (from my guesses watching) seems to be doing the wrong thing.  That is the explosion plays on the strong side.

Both Holm/Parker are being limited by Hall to play off guys.  Biggie said it best in his post-game last week, we concentrate most on not giving up the explosions.  Hall doesn't mind the 5-15 yard wide outs, etc.  It makes Parker look bad, but it's Hall making him play off and then come in and clean up.  And he did a great job of that.  Parker wasn't whiffing on many tackles.

Holm might be ok, but he's just too green.  We are instantly more effective putting a 2 GC vet at field halfback, whether that's BA or Nichols.  BA is being wasted in a manner we cannot afford at the moment.  Hallett can do a good enough FS job and has already established his own presence and rep back there.
Never go full Rider!