Desjarlais

Started by Pete, September 21, 2022, 01:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 21, 2022, 07:56:59 PM
I don't really care about next year.  The "window closing" people are right, let's get that 3rd cup, or at minimum make it to the cup, this year.

Desjar > Gray > Dobson.  No argument.  Gray/Dobson will understand because I would a) dress them both for the playoffs, meaning they get the $$ cheque regardless; b) explain Desjar likely makes another NFL run next year so they are back to their 2022 roles.

Dobson is green and is probably happy just to be dressed and even seeing the field regularly.  Gray might have higher expectations, but if he gets the game cheques, he can understand he's 1-2 years behind Desjar in seniority.  He strikes me as very much a team player, not a "me" player.  Gray's future role here is virtually guaranteed, should he continue to want it.  He very well may be our future Walby (NAT OT).

Gray has one year seniority with the Bombers on Dejarlais, and is 2 years older...  Gray projects forward as a huge OG, or a possible OT.  Dejarlais is OG only. 

Dobson is a rook, and also is an OG. 

Do any of our Oline have NFL potential?  Possibly.  XFL/USFL?  Sure.  Will they chase those dreams?  Who knows.  But having more NAT Oline than we can dress is optimal if you might lose one or more...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 21, 2022, 07:56:59 PM
I don't really care about next year.  The "window closing" people are right, let's get that 3rd cup, or at minimum make it to the cup, this year.

Desjar > Gray > Dobson.  No argument.  Gray/Dobson will understand because I would a) dress them both for the playoffs, meaning they get the $$ cheque regardless; b) explain Desjar likely makes another NFL run next year so they are back to their 2022 roles.

Dobson is green and is probably happy just to be dressed and even seeing the field regularly.  Gray might have higher expectations, but if he gets the game cheques, he can understand he's 1-2 years behind Desjar in seniority.  He strikes me as very much a team player, not a "me" player.  Gray's future role here is virtually guaranteed, should he continue to want it.  He very well may be our future Walby (NAT OT).

I give the Bombers a 50% chance of repeating this year, there are a few teams good enough to knock them off the pedestal on any given night.  More important to me is they continue along as league competitors and never slip back towards the bottom as the Riders and Ti-Cats have this season.  Hopefully with the current team management in place, they never miss the playoffs again.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on September 21, 2022, 08:23:35 PM
Gray has one year seniority with the Bombers on Dejarlais, and is 2 years older...  Gray projects forward as a huge OG, or a possible OT.  Dejarlais is OG only. 

Dobson is a rook, and also is an OG. 

Do any of our Oline have NFL potential?  Possibly.  XFL/USFL?  Sure.  Will they chase those dreams?  Who knows.  But having more NAT Oline than we can dress is optimal if you might lose one or more...

Desjarlais started at OG in year 1. Gray did not. He's an upgrade simple as that.

Players can be moved to 1 game IR and still will collect pay checks including play off or Grey Cup appearance. So that's a non issue.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on September 21, 2022, 08:23:35 PM

Yes, you are right.  My brain went fzzzz again on that one.  Desjar was the one who came in raw green and near instantly took Gray's heir-apparent spot.  Well, then instead of understanding it's seniority, Gray will be fine with the demotion vs Desjar because it's already happened before  :D :D ;D ;D

Again, if they dress and are paid playoff $$, does a team-first guy really care if he's not actually on the field?
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 21, 2022, 08:41:15 PM
Yes, you are right.  My brain went fzzzz again on that one.  Desjar was the one who came in raw green and near instantly took Gray's heir-apparent spot.  Well, then instead of understanding it's seniority, Gray will be fine with the demotion vs Desjar because it's already happened before  :D :D ;D ;D

Again, if they dress and are paid playoff $$, does a team-first guy really care if he's not actually on the field?

Every player wants to play. Nobody can tell which players will be healthy at the end of the season. Desjarlais could sign in Winnipeg tomorrow and suffer an injury in practice. Or he could play 10 years without ever missing a game.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 21, 2022, 08:39:14 PM
Desjarlais started at OG in year 1. Gray did not. He's an upgrade simple as that.

Players can be moved to 1 game IR and still will collect pay checks including play off or Grey Cup appearance. So that's a non issue.

If you're Chris Jones.  I like to think WPG plays the IR "by the books"; well, at least as much as any team can.  Pretty sure IR players don't get their name etched on the trophy though?  Dress but not start is the way to go.  I think we dressed 2 OL backups for the playoffs anyhow??  Or did we roll the dice with just 1?
Never go full Rider!

pjrocksmb

Not coming back to CFL this year as per TSN

GOLDMEMBER

We kinda figured that just Naylor has to point out the obvious.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Blue In BC

Quote from: pjrocksmb on September 25, 2022, 03:38:10 AM
Not coming back to CFL this year as per TSN

He could end up in the USFL spring league for some extra cash. That would allow him to continue trying to latch on in the NFL and do that before either the next NFL or CFL seasons. OTOH he could get injured if he plays in the USFL and louse up all his options.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Wouldn't Desjar instantly get Neufled-ish money if he returned to the CFL?  Plus good film?  Why screw around with the "fake" leagues in the states?  Come here and win a cup, then head back south.  Not rocket science.
Never go full Rider!

pjrocksmb

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 26, 2022, 01:35:08 AM
Wouldn't Desjar instantly get Neufled-ish money if he returned to the CFL?  Plus good film?  Why screw around with the "fake" leagues in the states?  Come here and win a cup, then head back south.  Not rocket science.

Hoping to get picked up by an NFL club

PurpleReign

I can tell you that Gray most likely will not go anywhere. If he does there is a very good chance that he would probably retire. He always said football is only a stepping stone and secondary to his engineering degree. He has a Winnipeg girl and they are building a new home outside Winnipeg.

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 26, 2022, 01:35:08 AM

Yes he would but NFL teams might be watching the " fake " leagues in the states more closely. His goal is the NFL. The downside of playing elsewhere is the risk of injury which could eliminate him from an NFL opportunity.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

I  am harsh on Gray.  However, as he has played he has gotten better, seemingly quicker, better footwork/speed, and better quicker positional blocks.

AS noted before I love O line getting downfield and picking off tiny Linebackers and the other pile-jumpers.  Pleasently proud of our line doing  such.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 26, 2022, 01:02:43 PM
Yes he would but NFL teams might be watching the " fake " leagues in the states more closely. His goal is the NFL. The downside of playing elsewhere is the risk of injury which could eliminate him from an NFL opportunity.

Are they though?  It's pretty clear NFL watches CFL like a hawk, always taking the superstars and giants away.  How many instances are there of AAF/XFL players being upgraded to NFL?

If anything, it's the CFL watching the "fake" leagues and picking some players to upgrade to the CFL!  ;D

Oh ya, I think the CFL also has better production values and camera people than the fake leagues.  That helps when it comes to film for the aspiring players.
Never go full Rider!