1990 Winnipeg Blue Bomber

Started by Pigskin, September 20, 2022, 04:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

On November 3rd. the 1990 Winnipeg Blue Bombers GC Championship team will be inducted into the Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame. What a great team that was. It should be a great night.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

ichabod_crane

A very strong defensive team that year. Offence was decent, but got really hot in second half of that grey cup To blow out Edmonton. Eskimos were the favourites going into that grey cup if I recall correctly. Back in the days when bombers were beasts of the eastern division!

ModAdmin

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Jesse

Unfortunately, it was before my time.

I can't even express how happy it makes me that we now have Grey Cups victories that I can remember watching.

That 1990 team was a source of frustration for those 29 years or so...
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

This is when my parents first started taking to Blue Bomber games. I remember going to Grapes post game and seeing Tom Burgess.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

VictorRomano

I remember watching this game live at my Transcona Nationals windup banquet.  They literally had 13" portable TVs set up on every other table.  Best linebacking group I think this team ever had.

In case you want the highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BytH4TtILmw

ichabod_crane

Quote from: VictorRomano on September 21, 2022, 08:42:46 PM
I remember watching this game live at my Transcona Nationals windup banquet.  They literally had 13" portable TVs set up on every other table.  Best linebacking group I think this team ever had.

In case you want the highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BytH4TtILmw

Brings back some memories. Have that game recorded on vhs tape (along with 1984 & 1988 GC wins).

Bombers played normally a 3-4 defence most of the mid to late 80?s. Greg Battle-James ?wild? west-Tyrone Jones were regular linebacker all stars in those years. Paul Randolph was a good one too.

1990 was kind of a swan song for many of those players playing for Winnipeg at least.

Edmonton totally collapsed in that second half. Turn over city.