Which defensive position do we need to improve on the most?

Started by pjrocksmb, September 19, 2022, 07:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which defensive position do we need to improve on the most?

DB
22 (62.9%)
LB
5 (14.3%)
DE
0 (0%)
DT
3 (8.6%)
All of the above
5 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 21, 2022, 06:41:22 PM
Woody Baron is coming off the 6 game IR after being there the entire season. He became redundant I suppose. Both are reportedly 3 technique DT's.

That may be part of it but according to 3DN, Bonner was recently taken off the active roster due to a ratio change with Canadian rookie Nathan Cherry taking over the starting job.  I just assumed he was a DE, as a DT not interested at all.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 21, 2022, 08:29:00 PM
That may be part of it but according to 3DN, Bonner was recently taken off the active roster due to a ratio change with Canadian rookie Nathan Cherry taking over the starting job.  I just assumed he was a DE, as a DT not interested at all.

Lions will have to address Baron on the roster in the same way from a ratio point of view. Clearly he has better CFL experience.

I don't have enormous desire to sign Bonner but I would take a look see. We're getting killed in the middle of the DL. He may or may not be better than who we have. The fact we're having issues there does suggest a chance he might be an upgrade.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

I would think at 250lb. he is not big enough to play DT. Wow BC is loaded when it comes to (N) on their DL.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on September 21, 2022, 08:37:08 PM
I would think at 250lb. he is not big enough to play DT. Wow BC is loaded when it comes to (N) on their DL.

He is on the lighter side but as I said he may be more of a speed guy than bulk force guy. Not necessarily a full time starter but perhaps a good DI in specific formations.  He might also be capable of rotation outside at DE. In Vancouver they didn't really need him there because of the the NI's they had.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

4 year vets are all guaranteed full salary even if cut now.. so the only way a team gets SMS relief from a 4yr+ vet is by trading him.  Might we find some teams with SMS$ issues needing to move a vet player?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on September 21, 2022, 08:50:40 PM
4 year vets are all guaranteed full salary even if cut now.. so the only way a team gets SMS relief from a 4yr+ vet is by trading him.  Might we find some teams with SMS$ issues needing to move a vet player?

Apparently Duke Williams is available.  :D

Pigskin

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pete

Blue In BC

I hear that Richardson might be available to add to the Lions roster in the next couple of weeks. Something will have to give in order to make space on their roster.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

M.O.A.B.

Maybe talk to Jonathan Woodard's agent if he has interest in coming back in the CFL and play for the Bombers instead of the Riders who hold his rights.
Then trade for him.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on September 22, 2022, 05:15:55 PM
Bonner just signed with ....you guessed it..the Elks

Lot's of player movement going on this week throughout the league, hopefully Walters is tuned in and hasn't taken the bye week off.  It doesn't seem like "we're good" is the right approach now with so many injury concerns.