Which defensive position do we need to improve on the most?

Started by pjrocksmb, September 19, 2022, 07:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which defensive position do we need to improve on the most?

DB
22 (62.9%)
LB
5 (14.3%)
DE
0 (0%)
DT
3 (8.6%)
All of the above
5 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 34

pjrocksmb

M.O.A.B.

Considering we are playing 2nd and 3rd stringer on some position it's expected to get some bumps.

DE, we lost Hansen, cut Mack and Wilcots on PR. Cooper is new to CFL.
WIL, we are playing 3rd stringer in Gauthier/Briggs in place of Wilson/Clements. Is Clements still a possibility this year? Can we start Cole?
MAC - Is it believed that Biggie is playing hurt. So that's for sure limits him in some way.
DB - Oh where we starts here. Boundary CB - it was Rose, then Houston, who got injured then Rose was back. Safety - Thompson, then Hallet, then Alexandet last game. field-side HB - Taylor, then Holm who I dont think is good enough. Field-side CB - was Glass, then Rose, then Parker. The only spot consistent from TC was Nichol's.

If we want to bring in some vets where will they come from. I think any bottom feeder teams will not gave up a player at the moments since all are still mathematically alive.

blue_or_die

By "improve" do you really mean "stop having to start third stringers"?

If so, DB is #1 in terms of needing some vets for playoffs. I want Kyrie back. And I want a massive DT but that won't happen. Sayles and Thomas a good but it's not the same as Stove and Nevis. As I was watching the Hamilton game, I kept thinking how we could have selected Ted Laurent instead of Kito Poblah  :'(

Could you imagine?!
#Ride?

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

DB DB DB

I'm rewatching the HAM game and Parker is actually quite serviceable (1.5 quarters in at least).  It's Holm that is way too green and looks lost.  Ideally we bring in a vet IMP to replace Taylor and Holm goes back to depth/PR.

In the meantime, we can still reshuffle to sit Holm and start NAT FS.

But we will miss BA's *boom* at FS... he was bringing the wood on several plays.  Hallett also brings the wood, but isn't quite as scary (yet?).
Never go full Rider!

dd

I'd bring in an NFL cut or 2 for DT....pressure from the D line will make up for alot of short comings on our backend

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on September 19, 2022, 11:38:43 PM
I'd bring in an NFL cut or 2 for DT....pressure from the D line will make up for alot of short comings on our backend

Sayles is actually ok.  I've been watching him closely.  He's not bad at getting off the blocker.  Not Stove-level, but ok.

If we do Hallett/Thompson at FS we can put a new IMP DT at Fatboi's spot and have Fatboi rotate in.  That might make everyone happier.  Fatboi gets good push but has trouble shedding blocks sometimes, and was getting pushed to the ground a lot vs HAM.

If Jeffcoat is out for any period of time I bet we bring Mack back on the PR or even AR.  But my guess is Jeffcoat will be fine.
Never go full Rider!

dd

We need someone of substance on the interior. Sorry JT isn't cutting it, not even close, he just stands in the gap, takes his baby steps, goes nowhere. Sad really that that's all we got , and when you got nothing coming from the middle, you can double the edge and that's the pass rush we have right now, double the edge, take on Sayles and let Fatboi try and get home. Time to let Rudy go.

DM83

LOTS of focus on the D-Line.
Depending on the d philosophy, the tackles may be "employed as run stoppers." Also they may be responsible for the A and or B gaps. T LBs fill a "next gape so that could be  the C gap.  That is pretty basic.

In that case, the D-line, responsibility, may be to occupy two O line players.  So if you see the tackles  not getting any penetration, being blocked by two guys, they are actually doing their job. The two ends can also flush the QB to "step-up" in the pocket right into where the tackles are.

Now what bothered me, is why isn't one of the LBs rushing.
Of course in a "bend but dont break" philosophy, by dropping into coverage and assume that the offense will eventually make a mistake....is not something I tolerated as a player, and later a coach.

Simply, in any job, receiving additional pressure will likely lead to stress and mistakes. Coach Hall seemed to be reluctant to blitz (maybe knowing his DB suck and therefor tried to help them by reducing their responsibilities and playing almost a prevent defence.

Personally I detest that bend but don't break defence.  I thoroughly believe pressuring the QB equals wins.
In the Hamilton game, Their QB had a dream game.  He stood back there, untouched or even pressured.

It looked like the boys were all out at the Mississauga Tavern the night before, and hung over.

But that's why they play the game. Offence was hitting some great plays.  And I do think they need to bring in some former NFL guys. Alexander was not ready to play.  And the two guys playing safety, earlier this year were making more of an impact.

Mr. Gauthier is too slow.  Mr. Rose doesn't appear interested in playing anymore, as he gets beat all over the field, so much so that I for one am embarrased for him.

On a good note, Zac and the offense line are doing pretty good..

Receivers all played well. Demski -Team leader.  Wow!  # 88 awesome in the last couple game. #83 just super to watch. Orange really surprisingly good.
Needs:  another American receiver who can go deep

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: DM83 on September 20, 2022, 03:26:53 PM

Receivers all played well. Demski -Team leader.  Wow!  # 88 awesome in the last couple game. #83 just super to watch. Orange really surprisingly good.
Needs:  another American receiver who can go deep

His name is Agudosi, hopefully he's back soon.

DM83

I would have no problem with him.  He played great.  And yes I would be great if he could come back.

Pete

To m db is the primary concen followed by linebacker, we can't afford to rest Bighill )can you see a lb core with both Briggs and Gautier in it? Also I'm wodering why Tyrell Jones hasnt been given a chance at cornerback.  He has the speed and athletism

Pigskin

Quote from: Pete on September 20, 2022, 06:01:32 PM
To m db is the primary concen followed by linebacker, we can't afford to rest Bighill )can you see a lb core with both Briggs and Gautier in it? Also I'm wodering why Tyrell Jones hasnt been given a chance at cornerback.  He has the speed and athletism

Tyrell Ford?
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on September 20, 2022, 06:01:32 PM

So do Parker and Holm have very good speed. If Ford is better then them, start him but we have no idea whether that is true aside from the fact he's not starting.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 20, 2022, 06:45:07 PM
So do Parker and Holm have very good speed. If Ford is better than start them but we have no idea whether that is true aside from the fact he's not starting.

Apparently Holm is very fast, he was right with the Ti-Cat receiver who scored the TD on him, if he would have checked on the ball location 1/2 second earlier, he gets the knock down.