Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Hamilton September 17, 2022

Started by ModAdmin, September 16, 2022, 03:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lincoln Locomotive

Some great comments and observations from posters.....yeah I was pretty high on Stove and he made an impact.   We may not have been "atrocious" (a pretty strong word) but we weren't very good against the run without him even though we were 6-1 when he returned.   
Bomber fan for life

DM83

Any discussion stating a MLB waits for a ball carrier to come to the MLB is kind of discounted.( as you don't seem to know that No linebacker ever waits for a ball carrier to come to him. Traditionally, Every LB's  first step is forward.  And yes Outside linebackers have different responsibilities than MLB.

LXTSN

Quote from: DM83 on September 20, 2022, 02:53:48 PM
Any discussion stating a MLB waits for a ball carrier to come to the MLB is kind of discounted.( as you don't seem to know that No linebacker ever waits for a ball carrier to come to him. Traditionally, Every LB's  first step is forward.  And yes Outside linebackers have different responsibilities than MLB.
Of course. However, there are some MLB's that burst through the lines, and some that are more cautious. I suppose there are benifits to both play styles, but there are for sure LB's in our league that attack much more aggressively than others. Is that fair?

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 19, 2022, 08:05:33 PM
Wilson is a huge loss that hasn't been replaced, I predict that when Bighill retires Wilson steps in as MLB and does well.  As for DE spot, Alex McCalister who they brought in for TC in 2019 looked to have great tools and a similar lanky fast build, he's currently a F.A. and still only 28.

Wilson is a game changer and is sorely missed. Not sure if he has any chance at returning this season though.

Last season very few key injuries for this team. Really only stove and Andrew Harris for parts of the season that I recall that we?re out for significant periods. Bombers were very healthy last season.

Maston a write off two seasons in a row. Have to wonder if his career is over. Jake ?the snake? Thomas looks to be slowing down too.

Also no Hansen or Kongbo for rotation anymore. Lots of parts missing from our dominant defence last year. Subs may get to those players levels eventually, but not there right now.

TecnoGenius

On my rewatch I noticed we sometimes (often?) had Biggie at WILL and Gauthier at MIKE.  We had some really weird formations in that game as we tried to adjust to HAM's unstoppable attack.

HAM's run game often attacked the weak side, so this move might have been a counter to that.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 21, 2022, 08:01:41 PM
On my rewatch I noticed we sometimes (often?) had Biggie at WILL and Gauthier at MIKE.  We had some really weird formations in that game as we tried to adjust to HAM's unstoppable attack.

HAM's run game often attacked the weak side, so this move might have been a counter to that.

I think Biggie is hurtin' bad and Gauthier is currently the best option they have for stopping the run.

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 21, 2022, 08:01:41 PM

The problem was that we weren't stopping the pass more than the run. Evens completed 78% of his passes for 5 TD's. Hills only ran 10 times for 58 yards and no rushing TD's.

Bighill does seem to be playing hurt and less effective this season. It's less about stopping the run than collapsing the pocket and / or creating more pressure on the QB's.

I see his DT's are down 20% over 14 games compared to 14 games in 2021.

It will be interesting to see if Clements returns next game. 4 games on 1 game IR seems a little off the norm. Missing a 5th game might suggest he's not better than Gauthier or Cole. That would be alarming if that is what is happening.

I've always said that Gauthier if fine in brief relief but if he's stating anywhere it's a big liability.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 21, 2022, 08:27:07 PM
The problem was that we weren't stopping the pass more than the run. Evens completed 78% of his passes for 5 TD's. Hills only ran 10 times for 58 yards and no rushing TD's.

Bighill does seem to be playing hurt and less effective this season. It's less about stopping the run than collapsing the pocket and / or creating more pressure on the QB's.

I see his DT's are down 20% over 14 games compared to 14 games in 2021.

It will be interesting to see if Clements returns next game. 4 games on 1 game IR seems a little off the norm. Missing a 5th game might suggest he's not better than Gauthier or Cole. That would be alarming if that is what is happening.

I've always said that Gauthier if fine in brief relief but if he's stating anywhere it's a big liability.

There was talk that AB4 had a sore shoulder, before the Labor Day Classic.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on September 21, 2022, 08:46:16 PM
There was talk that AB4 had a sore shoulder, before the Labor Day Classic.

He's not been fully practising for weeks, so he's definitely not 100%.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

northof30

Assuming BC wins this weekend here is how I think the West ends up:
1st:  BC
2nd: Winnipeg
3rd: Calgary

Winnipeg hosts the West semi-final vs Calgary (toss up).

TecnoGenius

Quote from: northof30 on September 22, 2022, 12:44:52 AM

BC will most likely lose this weekend.  CGY now has film on VAJ in BC (different from VAJ in MTL).  CGY will devote a lot of resources to this game, it's very important for their hopes of finishing 1st or 2nd.

Even if BC doesn't lose this week, I would bet the farm they lose to one or two of OTT or TOR or EDM.  I also think they lose to WPG at least once giving the tie-breaker to us.

We have 2 byes still, including this week.  Most teams had theirs much earlier in the season.  This will help refresh our guys who have lots of nagging booboos.  Everyone should be getting tired and tapering off as we get our second wind.  BC coming in to our barn in the freezing cold after our final bye?  We'll be 13 point favorites and ready to rumble.

Then CGY and BC beat each other up in the WSF and one of them limps into a freezing IGF for WDF...
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: northof30 on September 22, 2022, 12:44:52 AM
3rd: Calgary

Winnipeg hosts the West semi-final vs Calgary (toss up).

What disaster plan has you seeing BC winning 4 MORE games than we do over the final 6 weeks?

We would have to lose out and they would have to go at least 4-2.

Like, really?
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

There were 2 no-end penalties I found quite odd at the time.  One against us, one HAM.

The HAM one is 2Q4:46; a QB run up the gut.  They have 6 OL with the extra guy on the right end.  The left is sealed by the wide out.  The WR is about 1/2 yard from LoS, I assume he checked in.  The 6th OL (Riley) is about 1 yard off with the OL unit in a slight wedge.

I guess maybe Riley didn't check in?  But does he need to when in the box like that??  Surely command wouldn't let a no-end stand against the WR.  It was the top-of-screen (right) side ref who threw the flag.  Strangely he doesn't throw it until after the play.  That often indicates he is checking without other refs about a player checking in, but why would he do that when he is the guy that OL would check in with?

I thought the CFL learned their lesson about getting these things right after the WPG/CGY debacle a few years back where they publicly apologized, and I haven't seen non-obvious no-end calls called since then.  When they've been called this year it was for a WR who was 10 yards back on a waggle and clearly not on the line.

I haven't gotten to the WPG no-end call yet in my rewatch, but I'll write about that one too, and it's just as "ghost" as this one.  WPG hasn't taken a single no-end call since the debacle game (by my memory).
Never go full Rider!

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 22, 2022, 04:50:32 AM
There were 2 no-end penalties I found quite odd at the time.  One against us, one HAM.

The HAM one is 2Q4:46; a QB run up the gut.  They have 6 OL with the extra guy on the right end.  The left is sealed by the wide out.  The WR is about 1/2 yard from LoS, I assume he checked in.  The 6th OL (Riley) is about 1 yard off with the OL unit in a slight wedge.

I guess maybe Riley didn't check in?  But does he need to when in the box like that??  Surely command wouldn't let a no-end stand against the WR.  It was the top-of-screen (right) side ref who threw the flag.  Strangely he doesn't throw it until after the play.  That often indicates he is checking without other refs about a player checking in, but why would he do that when he is the guy that OL would check in with?

I thought the CFL learned their lesson about getting these things right after the WPG/CGY debacle a few years back where they publicly apologized, and I haven't seen non-obvious no-end calls called since then.  When they've been called this year it was for a WR who was 10 yards back on a waggle and clearly not on the line.

I haven't gotten to the WPG no-end call yet in my rewatch, but I'll write about that one too, and it's just as "ghost" as this one.  WPG hasn't taken a single no-end call since the debacle game (by my memory).

I m thinking the 6th O lineman didn?t report as being eligible so that would have drawn the flag for no end.