Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Hamilton September 17, 2022

Started by ModAdmin, September 16, 2022, 03:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Zipp

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on September 16, 2022, 08:24:10 PM
Can someone post the lineups on here please?  I don't use Twitter any longer and a lot of the links posted on here are Twitter links.....used to be a Twitterholic at one time....I got help for it and now a member of TA....Twitterholics Anonymous!  ???

https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2022/09/WINNIPEG-AT-HAMLTON_SEPTEMBER-17.pdf

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Horseman on September 16, 2022, 06:27:55 PM
It would just be our luck for the gappers to win the east and then we have to face them again in the GC game in their home field and try to beat them 4 times in a row (assuming we win on Sept 30th).

I'm the opposite: I want the GC to be WPG v SSK @ SSK!  It would be so epic.  I wouldn't even care if we lost.  And if we won...

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 16, 2022, 06:36:21 PM
Erlington is not a good RB. He's a horrible receiver as well and keeps deflecting passes to the opponents.

STE had a great breakout/rookie year a few years back, but then went quiet after his injury.  I wouldn't count him out just yet.  HAM doesn't give him very many chances.  HAM is horribly managed and has a potted plant for a play caller.

Quote from: blue_or_die on September 16, 2022, 08:09:39 PM
The heck is up with that? It's not like the Cats are some powerhouse team stacked with all star DBs that bury him?

Ya, it makes me wonder if Darby got lured away by big $$ or if we just didn't offer him a new contract... ?  You don't lure away a big GC champ SAM just to park him on PR.  So is Rutledge better than Darby?  He's been pretty effective so far.  I haven't made my mind up yet.  Maston was better than both, but has no luck.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Well, I was wrong about Alexander... we are starting him at FS again.  That means our field side DBs are all green and that should be the attack plan for HAM.  I expect BA to cheat over to the strong side most of the game to help them out.

Maybe BA really can't play HB/CB as some have said.  If this was me I'd have Hallett at FS, BA somewhere on the field side and one of Holm/Parker as depth for BA.

We could have also split the vets (Nichols/Rose) between sides to put some experience on both sides, but we didn't.

We're going to have to get good pressure on Evans so we don't get strong side busts.  If I was HAM, I'd pull out the 6 & 7 man OL gameplan from '19 and run that all night.  We had no answer for that back then.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 16, 2022, 08:32:08 PM
Well, I was wrong about Alexander... we are starting him at FS again.  That means our field side DBs are all green and that should be the attack plan for HAM.  I expect BA to cheat over to the strong side most of the game to help them out.

Maybe BA really can't play HB/CB as some have said.  If this was me I'd have Hallett at FS, BA somewhere on the field side and one of Holm/Parker as depth for BA.

We could have also split the vets (Nichols/Rose) between sides to put some experience on both sides, but we didn't.

We're going to have to get good pressure on Evans so we don't get strong side busts.  If I was HAM, I'd pull out the 6 & 7 man OL gameplan from '19 and run that all night.  We had no answer for that back then.

Alexander used to play at DHB before being moved to safety late in 2019. No need to panic about our two rookies just yet. Moving Alexander is not necessary at the moment. We'll see if additional changes need to be made after watching Parker and Holm a little longer. No need to feel it had to be done for this week.

We held Fajardo to just over 420 yards over 2 games.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

ModAdmin

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on September 16, 2022, 08:24:10 PM
Can someone post the lineups on here please?  I don't use Twitter any longer and a lot of the links posted on here are Twitter links.....used to be a Twitterholic at one time....I got help for it and now a member of TA....Twitterholics Anonymous!  ???

Both team lineups are in the initial post in this thread.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: ModAdmin on September 16, 2022, 10:02:07 PM
Both team lineups are in the initial post in this thread.
Um....I know....the Bombers lineup is on Twitter and I don't have a Twitter account.....it's usually on the Bomber page but for some reason wasn't posted by Ed Tait
Bomber fan for life

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on September 16, 2022, 10:33:29 PM
Um....I know....the Bombers lineup is on Twitter and I don't have a Twitter account.....it's usually on the Bomber page but for some reason wasn't posted by Ed Tait

Best place is Game Notes on cfl.ca, in pdf format (sucks on phones though)

https://www.cfl.ca/games/6267/winnipeg-blue-bombers-vs-hamilton-tiger-cats/#more
Never go full Rider!

The Zipp

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on September 16, 2022, 10:33:29 PM

I posted a non Twitter one on this page

ModAdmin

3 Storylines | WPG at HAM - Ed Tait

.....1. WELCOME IN, WELCOME BACK

The return of Alexander provides a veteran voice in the secondary at a time when they also lose one in Nick Taylor, who injured his Achilles in last week's win over Saskatchewan.

Both Nick Hallett and Malcolm Thompson were excellent through the first 13 games of the season in replacing Alexander, but when the all-star safety returns to form the Blue Bombers secondary gets not only a savvy addition, but an intimidating force. That will be important against the Ticats, but also through the next 2 - months as the defensive backfield - already without Demerio Houston - will now be missing two starters.

"We're going through a rollercoaster right now, but the way that we practise and train our guys the next guy will always be ready here," said halfback Deatrick Nichols. "That's one big thing about being here. Of course, (losing Taylor) is heartbreaking for him, but we'll keep cheering him on and keep playing.

"Emotions are part of it. We're with each other 50 percent of every day. It's bad that it happened like that, but we'll continue playing, fill that place for him and continue to win."

Rookie Evan Holm will step in for Taylor in Hamilton and he'll be lining up beside another rookie in Jamal Parker. And you can bet Ticats QB Dane Evans will test that side of the air defence.

Trial by fire? Hell, yeah.

"It's always like that, whether it's vets, whether it's young guys - it's trial by fire, right?" said Blue Bombers defensive backs coach Jordan Younger earlier this week. "That's probably the best part of it - you go into a game, and you know you're going to have an opportunity to make plays. Some guys, that will make them nervous and afraid and some guys they'll rise to the occasion.

"We've got the guys that are cut from the cloth where they're looking forward to their opportunity to make plays."

2. THE ZACH ATTACK

Building on a theme that keeps adding layers as the wins pile up in Bomberland... where does Zach Collaros already rank in the pantheon of Winnipeg quarterbacks, given what he's already accomplished?

Consider this: since his arrival at the trade deadline in October of 2019, the Blue Bombers have gone a remarkable 29-3 in games he has started - 29-2 in which he has started and finished after leaving a loss at the end of 2021 where it was decided to rest some starters and reduce the playing time of others before the playoffs.

He threw for four touchdowns last week, giving him a career-best 26 this season - surpassing his 2015 total of 25 while he was with the Ticats. As well, his 3,236 yards passing this year is just 141 shy of another career best. Yet, Collaros will be the last man on the planet to thump is chest about all this.

The objective this week here in Hamilton will be to try and build on last week?s Banjo Bowl performance that saw the offence score seven touchdowns and add two field goals ? while punting just once - in 10 possessions.

"It's nice when you're in a rhythm like that because that's how the offence is supposed to be played," said receiver Dalton Schoen. "The run game, pass game all feeding off each other and just building that rhythm. We had long drives early and that helps sometimes to get that rhythm going because it's hard in this league if you go two-and-out and then you are going, 'Well, that was quick' and you haven't really had or seen that many plays to learn from."

Critical in Winnipeg's cranking out 32 first downs were averaging 6.9 yards on first down which, in turn, led to the offence converting 80 percent (20 of 25) of their second-down opportunities.

"We executed the play calls at a pretty high level and that's where it all starts and ends," said Collaros of last week's offensive effort. "It's going to be a physical football game; we've got to execute the play calls and be efficient on first down. I thought we did a good job of that last week and if that continues, we should be able to convert on second down and hopefully score some points."

3. GREY CUP REMATCH?

This might have looked like a sexy matchup when the CFL's 2022 schedule was first released, what with the Blue Bombers returning to Hamilton - the site of last year?s Grey Cup - to face a Tiger-Cats squad they have conquered in the last two championship games.

But the Blue Bombers are 12-1, and dating back to the 2019 Grey Cup win, on a 26-4 run. The Ticats are just 12-17 over that same stretch after going 15-3 in the regular season in '19.

Yet, O'Shea & Co. simply have too much respect for Orlondo Steinauer and his crew to take the Ticats lightly.

"That's what you're paid to do," said O'Shea when asked about the current records of the two teams. "We're not paid to do that. We're paid to coach. We're paid to line up. We're paid to play our hardest football we can. The money doesn't even matter, it's just what you do.

"You guys can write whatever you want about the records. Our guys don't look at it that way. And neither do theirs.".....

There is more here on 3 Storylines...
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

blue_or_die

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 16, 2022, 08:26:55 PM
Ya, it makes me wonder if Darby got lured away by big $$ or if we just didn't offer him a new contract... ?  You don't lure away a big GC champ SAM just to park him on PR.  So is Rutledge better than Darby?  He's been pretty effective so far.  I haven't made my mind up yet.  Maston was better than both, but has no luck.

I wouldn?t dare move Rutledge even if we had another SAM option. Darby can play just about everywhere in the secondary so it would be great to throw Darby somewhere on the field side or even at S and have BA play half. It would give us a lot of versatility to our very beat up secondary.
#Ride?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 16, 2022, 08:26:55 PM

Darby was with the Argos since 2017 and returned to the area as soon as possible, so he may have a preference for living in the East.

The Zipp

Quote from: blue_or_die on September 17, 2022, 01:03:51 PM
I wouldn?t dare move Rutledge even if we had another SAM option. Darby can play just about everywhere in the secondary so it would be great to throw Darby somewhere on the field side or even at S and have BA play half. It would give us a lot of versatility to our very beat up secondary.

I say bring Darby home with them from Hamilton.  He is a proven player - can fit with the team. Make it happen!!

ModAdmin

Tiger

Good article Donny.  One small point -  does anyone outside of Winnipeg know what tinker town is?
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger