Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Hamilton September 17, 2022

Started by ModAdmin, September 16, 2022, 03:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on September 19, 2022, 02:18:47 PM
I was so disappointed we weren't able to sign Richardson (Stove) as IMHO he made our front 4 so difficult to defend because he often was double teamed.   That creates more opportunities for everyone else on the front 4 including Thomas.   We really haven't replaced him and our front 4 hasn't been as good without him pure and simple.   He was so good at stopping the run and still managed to get a few sacks as well.   

Richardson has been effective when he plays, but he was only able to do so for 7 out of 14 games last season + 2 playoff games.  After signing a 2 year deal with BC for around $185k/season he has yet to play in a single game for the Lions this year as he was injured during off-season training and didn't even make it to TC.  Nothing would change if Richardson was a Bomber this season, there'd still be a lack of push up the middle and we'd still be looking for solutions.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 19, 2022, 04:02:32 PM
Richardson has been effective when he plays, but he was only able to do so for 7 out of 14 games last season + 2 playoff games.  After signing a 2 year deal with BC for around $185k/season he has yet to play in a single game for the Lions this year as he was injured during off-season training and didn't even make it to TC.  Nothing would change if Richardson was a Bomber this season, there'd still be a lack of push up the middle and we'd still be looking for solutions.
yes...he missed the first six or seven games and our run D was atrocious when he was out last season.   When he was healthy and joined the team he made an immediate impact and our run D became one of the best units in the CFL.    It just worked out poorly for him this season in BC.  Imagine what their D would look like with a healthy Stove in the middle?   
At the time when we were signing players for this season, I was pretty choked when we let him get away for bigger $$.   After winning successive Cups that's bound to happen, and I understood we wouldn't be able to keep everyone.   That being said I was still choked when he signed with BC for bigger $$ albeit you can't really fault him for it either....including Lawler who became the highest non-quarterback  paid player in the league,   No one can predict injuries albeit there are some players who seem to be injury prone.....interestingly both are now MIA due to injuries.    Lawler was relatively injury free during his stint as a Bomber and Stove was hurt on several occasions.....so yeah, however no one can deny him being a Force when he was healthy.
Bomber fan for life

Horseman

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 18, 2022, 06:24:48 PM
Not exactly but any player that sustains a serious injury may never be the same. He may be more prone to re-injury ( Maston ) for example. Several of our injured had serious injuries that may overlap into 2023.

In the case of Ellingson he's missed 7 of 14 games at this point. He may or may not be able to return this season. So his time as a Bomber for a player that will turn 34 at the end of the year is not guaranteed.

All we heard was hip injury. He could be back and make a significant contribution by the end of the year.

He can certainly play if he's healthy but he did also miss 4 games in 2021 during the regular season.

I'll cheer if he's back soon.

Yes, I would have to agree, missing half of the games so far and counting, plus being 34, I would say this will be his only season as a Bomber. Just like with AH, age and injuries have made him not a plan for next year.

Pigskin

Yes our D was atrocious without Stove last year. The team was 6-1, and we gave up and average of 14 points a game. Terrible.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on September 19, 2022, 05:53:32 PM
Yes our D was atrocious without Stove last year. The team was 6-1, and we gave up and average of 14 points a game. Terrible.

Nobody said that. They said our run defence was not good. You're just looking to stir the pot.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Pigskin on September 19, 2022, 05:53:32 PM
Is their some ubiquitous point I'm missing or are you just trying to impose your vastly superior football acumen to undermine my comments?  

We haven't been as dominant a D this season for various reasons including injuries and not having Stove is one of them.   Sayles and Thomas are adequate but they were pretty invisible against the Cats.   MOS had high praise for Stove when we had him and really wanted to keep him, however money is always a factor when retaining an All Star roster....which ours was....and arguably still is, however not to the same dominant extent as 21.

I daresay our offence has been carrying more of the weight this season and we managed to move the ball for 450 yards against a stout Cat defence.....31 points is usually enough to win most games with if your defence is running on all cylinders.

The point I was trying to make was how impactful of a player Stove  was for our D last season....when he was healthy which he was for the latter part of the season.   We could use a player of his stature in the middle....despite,our 12-2 record.    We are heading into the fire swamp with many key players either injured or playing hurt.....with any luck we will be healthier going down the stretch and not sustain more injuries to key players...and most importantly, Zach.    

We need to get back on our horse, dust ourselves off and continue to find ways to win at least two of our last 4 games.    On paper we should be able to and winning 3 would just about do it if one of those games is BC.   They still have 6 games left and if Adams can continue to perform....there are no guarantees we secure home field advantage in the WF.....which I believe gives us a big edge in determining if we get to Regina in November.

Any team making it to the GC needs 3 key ingredients for success.    Being on a roll....staying mostly healthy...and some luck.   It's akin to winning the Olympic gold medal in hockey where you need to win your last 3 games or you're out.    Only difference being there are no silver medals handed out to the losers in the GC!!

Bomber fan for life

Pigskin

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on September 19, 2022, 06:21:38 PM
Is their some ubiquitous point I'm missing or are you just trying to impose your vastly superior football acumen to undermine my comments?  

We haven't been as dominant a D this season for various reasons including injuries and not having Stove is one of them.   Sayles and Thomas are adequate but they were pretty invisible against the Cats.   MOS had high praise for Stove when we had him and really wanted to keep him, however money is always a factor when retaining an All Star roster....which ours was....and arguably still is, however not to the same dominant extent as 21.

I daresay our offence has been carrying more of the weight this season and we managed to move the ball for 450 yards against a stout Cat defence.....31 points is usually enough to win most games with if your defence is running on all cylinders.

The point I was trying to make was how impactful of a player Stove  was for our D last season....when he was healthy which he was for the latter part of the season.   We could use a player of his stature in the middle....despite,our 12-2 record.    We are heading into the fire swamp with many key players either injured or playing hurt.....with any luck we will be healthier going down the stretch and not sustain more injuries to key players...and most importantly, Zach.    

We need to get back on our horse, dust ourselves off and continue to find ways to win at least two of our last 4 games.    On paper we should be able to and winning 3 would just about do it if one of those games is BC.   They still have 6 games left and if Adams can continue to perform....there are no guarantees we secure home field advantage in the WF.....which I believe gives us a big edge in determining if we get to Regina in November.

Any team making it to the GC needs 3 key ingredients for success.    Being on a roll....staying mostly healthy...and some luck.   It's akin to winning the Olympic gold medal in hockey where you need to win your last 3 games or you're out.    Only difference being there are no silver medals handed out to the losers in the GC!!

Well I don't think our D was atrocious without Stove last year. As I said we were 6-1. and only giving up 14 points a game avg. Stove along with the return of Wilson last year helped our run D and pressure. But ATROCIOUS, come on man.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Pigskin on September 19, 2022, 03:52:40 AM
Your barking up the wrong tree. Sayles is no DE, but as a DT he is more then pulling his weight.

Sayles:  14 games , 26 tackles, 3 sacks.   In 28 games as a Bomber 54 tackles, 8 sacks.
Walker:  8 games, 8 tackles, 1 ST, 1 Sack.
Lawson: 14 games, 10 tackles, 1 sack.
Thomas: 14 games, 11 tackles, 1 ST, 3 Sacks. 1 tackle in the last three games.

I am thinking JT95 is dealing with an injury.

TED Laurent::  $$$  12 games, 7 tackles, 2 sacks.

Looks like Drake Nevis could be an FA????
Agree Sayles has been solid and thanks for the numbers. 

Pigskin

I really like Stove but he priced himself out of Winnipeg.

Some Numbers:

The Stove: 3 years  25 games, 38 tackles, 6 sacks. Games missed 19. Current salary $185K

Sayles:  2 years. 28 games, 54 tackles, 8 sacks. Games missed 0. Currently salary $80K ??

I think people need to start looking at who is standing next to Sayles. JT95 is having a down year. Walker and Lawson limited experience and playing time. JJ94 has missed 3.5 games so far, and probably hasn't been 100% for most of the games he has played. Wilson is another big play maker in our front 7 that hasn't been replaced.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on September 19, 2022, 07:40:45 PM
I really like Stove but he priced himself out of Winnipeg.

Some Numbers:

The Stove: 3 years  25 games, 38 tackles, 6 sacks. Games missed 19. Current salary $185K

Sayles:  2 years. 28 games, 54 tackles, 8 sacks. Games missed 0. Currently salary $80K ??

I think people need to start looking at who is standing next to Sayles. JT95 is having a down year. Walker and Lawson limited experience and playing time. JJ94 has missed 3.5 games so far, and probably hasn't been 100% for most of the games he has played. Wilson is another big play maker in our front 7 that hasn't been replaced.

Wilson is a huge loss that hasn't been replaced, I predict that when Bighill retires Wilson steps in as MLB and does well.  As for DE spot, Alex McCalister who they brought in for TC in 2019 looked to have great tools and a similar lanky fast build, he's currently a F.A. and still only 28.

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 19, 2022, 08:05:33 PM
Wilson is a huge loss that hasn't been replaced, I predict that when Bighill retires Wilson steps in as MLB and does well.  As for DE spot, Alex McCalister who they brought in for TC in 2019 looked to have great tools and a similar lanky fast build, he's currently a F.A. and still only 28.

I liked McCallister, he looked good when he was here.

TecnoGenius

when Bighill retires Wilson steps in as MLB and does well.

I think Wilson is too small for MLB.  And his speed is more useful on the edge.  Biggie manages to stay healthy enough to play almost every game, his football brains are second to none, and he's the heart & soul of the D.  His training regimen surpasses all others.  I see no reason to write Biggie out of the equation for a couple/few years still.
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

This mite be the bombers plan, however Wilson has ran into injury problems the last two seasons. He has the size and speed at 6'1" / 221. But can he stay healthy in the middle.

LXTSN

Quote from: Pigskin on September 19, 2022, 09:09:46 PM
This mite be the bombers plan, however Wilson has ran into injury problems the last two seasons. He has the size and speed at 6'1" / 221. But can he stay healthy in the middle.
I feel like there is a different type of aggressive attitude that you need if you want to play MLB. I think of guys like Sankey, Simoni, Thurmond and Bighill are all guys that attack the ball carrier instead of waiting for them to come to them.

That's a tough position to fill, so I hope Biggie is still good for a few more years! Hate to be stuck with another Sam Hurl...

TecnoGenius

Quote from: LXTSN on September 19, 2022, 09:21:29 PM
I think of guys like Sankey, Simoni, Thurmond and Bighill are all guys that attack the ball carrier instead of waiting for them to come to them.

Except Simoni is WILL.  They play JSK at MIKE.  I've always found that odd, well, before JSK came along anyhow.  Simoni is the most famous and celebrated (by some) WILLs in the modern history of the league.  Again, weird.

I'm pretty sure Simoni would do fine at MIKE, unless he's not smart enough for it.  There's got to be a reason they leave him where he is.
Never go full Rider!