The most efficient and dominant 1/4 and 1/2 by an offence? Stats Junkie?

Started by Tiger, September 14, 2022, 04:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

I have been a little hard on Collaros and the Oline.  IMHO deservedly so. The oline has had problems compared to the domination the last couple of years. We miss Desjarlais and Couture. Bryant the football Titan actually got beat.  Collaros has had some bad games or bad plays where you wonder. 

That said the game against the Riders was a clinic.

Bombers wee unstoppable in the first quarter.  A six minute and something long drive for a TD. Then a Rider 2 and out. Then a 6:50 drive for a TD.  TOP 13 minutes of the 15. Only the Legghio missed PAT was less than perfect. 

Wow.  Just wow.  Did they wake up? Did they just click.  The second quarter was also impressive, but not quite the same as the first. 

That was truly spectacular. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Post game people discussed the Riders being sick or the dominance of the Blue Bomber defence, which are both true, but does not negate the complete control and dismantling of the great Rider defence by an efficient, effective and assured offence that was missing couture, Ellingson, Agudosi and even a Harris or Lawler of years past. 

Hats off to a disciplined coaches offence and the play calling of Buck and his assistants.

Sure Rider penalties helped but the reason for the penalties was they could not just compete. Sorry.  Truth hurts.

Stats Junkie was the the most efficient 1/4 or half of Blue Bomber football?

We are truly enjoying a golden age.
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

TecnoGenius

The only thing that might hold back such a claim is we're the masters of chewing up clock, so our yardage and scoring isn't that high per quarter compared to some other past high-scoring games (like some of Rourke's best).  But if you go by ToP and steamrolling the other team, ya, we might have been tops.

I'm with ya, though.  The astounding things about that half were:

1. 1st down production: almost always setting us up for 2nd & short-ish.  It was amazing, helped by many throws on 1st down.

2. SSK D had almost no counter to our constant barrage of confusing and non-typical run/toss jumble of play calls.  Normally with the Bomber O you can do a decent job of guessing "run" or "pass" on any given play.  And on run, guess a sweep vs A-gap, etc.  I had literally no idea what Buck was doing or would do next.  It was clear Shivers didn't either.  And their D was wandering the field between plays lost as to how to counter it.  I've rarely seen anything like it.

I think that whole half there was one good D play when BO got blown up behind the LoS?  Even after that one we then got a 2nd & 10 easily I think.  Demoralizing for SSK.

I really credit Buck on presenting SSK with an O that didn't look even one bit like WPG.  It really was a joy to watch in person, and then again (especially) on TV.
Never go full Rider!

Stats Junkie

I'll go with most efficient offence. 4 drives in the first half & 4 TDs - A TD on every drive is about as efficient as you can get.

10 drives in the game with 7 TDs, 2 FGs & 1 punt.

3 weeks ago the Blue Bombers (10) & Stampeders (9) combined for 19 total drives in a game. I spoke with Steve Daniel the following day and we believe that the 19 drives is a CFL record for fewest drives in a single game. Steve only has drive data back to 2006 but I don't recall teams operating the time consuming ball control offences that we see these days.

Pass efficiency rating is another (antiquated) way of grading a QB - a perfect score is 158.33

In the 1st half, Collaros was 15-14-187 3TDs which is good for a 158.19 rating.

Contrary to what the CFL says, Collaros did NOT finish with a perfect rating - the CFL formula is broken (since 2006). His yards per pass attempt did not meet the threshold to maximize the rating.

25-21-273 4 TDs results in a rating of 151.75
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

pjrocksmb

Collaros has been exceptional for the most part and OL struggled early but has found their way as of late.

Zach gets a A
OL gets a B

I like that golden age

If looking for most dominant gotta look at Dunigan and his 700+ game.  I also think I seen him get 3 majors in 2 mins.

Tiger

Quote from: Stats Junkie on September 15, 2022, 02:24:56 AM
I'll go with most efficient offence. 4 drives in the first half & 4 TDs - A TD on every drive is about as efficient as you can get.

10 drives in the game with 7 TDs, 2 FGs & 1 punt.

3 weeks ago the Blue Bombers (10) & Stampeders (9) combined for 19 total drives in a game. I spoke with Steve Daniel the following day and we believe that the 19 drives is a CFL record for fewest drives in a single game. Steve only has drive data back to 2006 but I don't recall teams operating the time consuming ball control offences that we see these days.

Pass efficiency rating is another (antiquated) way of grading a QB - a perfect score is 158.33

In the 1st half, Collaros was 15-14-187 3TDs which is good for a 158.19 rating.

Contrary to what the CFL says, Collaros did NOT finish with a perfect rating - the CFL formula is broken (since 2006). His yards per pass attempt did not meet the threshold to maximize the rating.

25-21-273 4 TDs results in a rating of 151.75

Thanks.  I did not realize that Collaros QB was that high in that 1/4 and 1/2 but it makes sense.

The Calgary v BEinniprg insight was also interesting.  Good football.  Calgary is a tough opponent regardless of who is QB
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

TecnoGenius

Now run the same stat on HAM tonight.  Very efficient with their scoring.  Almost no punts until garbage time.
Never go full Rider!