6 Man OL

Started by TecnoGenius, September 13, 2022, 09:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

So on rewatch of the Banjo Bowl, we did something very weird for us much of the game: 6 man OL.  Dobson was in as 6th man / TE on many, many snaps (Miller a few too).  I don't know the exact percentage, but it might have been almost a third or half of all snaps (before garbage time).  Run plays, pass plays, all sorts of plays.

We haven't done that all year.  I think that was the wrinkle Buck added for this game.  Maybe it was partly in response to the heavy pressure SSK got on Zach in the LDC.  Maybe it was to confuse Shivers.  Maybe both.

Whatever it was, it worked amazingly well.  Zach was mostly untouched and had lots of time.  SSK was getting almost no pressure.  Our confusing combos of runs, sweeps, passes had the D on their back heels all game.

I think we genuinely confused Shivers and SSK had no answer for it.  They didn't even adjust at halftime.  They still tried sending just 3 or 4 against us, sometimes 5, and nothing was working.  Like the TSN panel said: it was a clinic on O.  I also like how we passed on 1st down a whole whack of the 1st quarter: completely not like us and definitely caused confusion.

It's funny how we didn't really miss having that 5th receiver out there.  I guess with Ellingson down (and then Woli) we can have plenty of targets with just 4 and the occasional BO20 dump pass.  It's not going to work every game, but this is something we can throw at teams for a quarter here and there.

Also great to see Dobson getting reps and looking solid.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

This also reminds me of the '19 TiCats who for much of the year played a 6-man or 7-man OL and when they did so they were virtually unbeatable.  That's what they did to clobber us in the regular season that year.  Like SSK, we had no answer for the max-pro.

Then in the '19 GC the Cats just went straight 5-man OL the whole game and we ate them for lunch.

So I like how Buck is mixing it up, but it's also important we don't rely on it.  Maybe it's more effective as a confusion ploy and throwing something at them that they didn't plan/practice for.
Never go full Rider!

pjrocksmb

Another nice wrinkle to throw in there

dd

I noticed the new formation as well, and one thing for certain, if Zack has time, he will dissect any defense. I thought the Riders had a decent D, but we hung a ton of points on them and made them look average at best

LXTSN

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 13, 2022, 09:29:21 PM
So on rewatch of the Banjo Bowl, we did something very weird for us much of the game: 6 man OL.  Dobson was in as 6th man / TE on many, many snaps (Miller a few too).  I don't know the exact percentage, but it might have been almost a third or half of all snaps (before garbage time).  Run plays, pass plays, all sorts of plays.

We haven't done that all year.  I think that was the wrinkle Buck added for this game.  Maybe it was partly in response to the heavy pressure SSK got on Zach in the LDC.  Maybe it was to confuse Shivers.  Maybe both.

Whatever it was, it worked amazingly well.  Zach was mostly untouched and had lots of time.  SSK was getting almost no pressure.  Our confusing combos of runs, sweeps, passes had the D on their back heels all game.

I think we genuinely confused Shivers and SSK had no answer for it.  They didn't even adjust at halftime.  They still tried sending just 3 or 4 against us, sometimes 5, and nothing was working.  Like the TSN panel said: it was a clinic on O.  I also like how we passed on 1st down a whole whack of the 1st quarter: completely not like us and definitely caused confusion.

It's funny how we didn't really miss having that 5th receiver out there.  I guess with Ellingson down (and then Woli) we can have plenty of targets with just 4 and the occasional BO20 dump pass.  It's not going to work every game, but this is something we can throw at teams for a quarter here and there.

Also great to see Dobson getting reps and looking solid.

Actually we have been mixing in the extra OL on short yardage and also on a bunch of first downs all year. We made more of an emphasis on running the ball last game and I think that's why we kept him in more often.

I also love to see the mix of our run game lately. We are waaaaayyyy more effective on first downs when we do throw some curveballs. There are games where Buck forgets to mix it up a bit and we find our offence just running up the middle for 2 yards on 4 straight first downs.

bwiser

Buck Pierce's play calling has been outstanding of late. I am more convinced than ever that Pierce is going to get a head coaching opportunity next season.

dd

I think we win our 3rd Grey Cup in a row and the calls will come his way, partly because of his offensive mind, but mainly because he's been involved from the start transforming the outhouse into the penthouse and teams will want to duplicate that. Yes, you have to have the talent to win, but creating the tight, team first clubhouse we have is what teams will be looking for. I m thinking Montreal picks him up

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: bwiser on September 14, 2022, 06:05:41 PM
Buck Pierce's play calling has been outstanding of late. I am more convinced than ever that Pierce is going to get a head coaching opportunity next season.

I don't see Buck stepping up to HC yet, and he would be smart to stick with the Bombers as long as they are a dominate team.  He's still very young for a coach and he has plenty of time to move up to HC if that's what he desires, but he should choose his next destination with great care and not jump on the first bone he's offered.

The CFL is littered with the corpses of good young coordinators that bit off more then they could chew jumping into losing situations.  Triple the stress level as they become responsible for 2 more teams and often lose touch with their specialty because they can't focus enough time on what they were good at originally. Bonus they usually become the focus of all failure and are fired within 2 years.

Examples

Khari Jones
Jason Maas
DeVone Claybrooks
Corey Chamblin
Jaime Elizondo
Scott Milanovich
LaPo
Richie Hall
etc.
etc.
etc.

Blue In BC

Ritchie Hall could be considered for a HC position again in 2023. He's been a HC before and has been part of the CFL since 1983. Whether that would interest him is another question.

I'd think the chances of losing him would be higher than losing Pierce.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sec223

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 15, 2022, 01:32:03 PM
Ritchie Hall could be considered for a HC position again in 2023. He's been a HC before and has been part of the CFL since 1983. Whether that would interest him is another question.

I could be totally wrong but as long as most of the coaches stay Hall will stay. He has a pretty good gig here.

M.O.A.B.

I'm OK with that. I think Sask would be a good destination for him.

I think, Younger is ready to take the role if Hall decides to move or retire.

Throw Long Bannatyne

I can't really see Hall moving on either, I don't know how old he is but he had some serious health issues in 2019 that made him look older than he probably is.  Again it comes down to his ambition and how much extra stress he wants to take on, he has his current job for as long as he wants it, which is a pretty amazing achievement in the world of football.

DM83

I think the assistant coaches are awesome and all work within Michael O'Shea's organization.
WE all seem to agree they are good, and I really like Buck possibly getting an opportunity, in the near future.

WE are also doing well, because we get the right players here.

LXTSN

I think both of our head co-ordinators are great at what they do, but I don't really see them as potential great HC's. I don't see them as guys that demand respect the way the other great CFL coaches do.
But who knows! Maybe they'd both be great

Jesse

Don't see this as likely.

I think Richie's probably happy in his role here until he's ready to retire - which was rumoured a couple of years ago, but he's still going strong.

I've been wondering if Younger would leave for a promotion or if they've discussed a succession plan.
My wife is amazing!