Practice Roster size increase

Started by Blue In BC, September 13, 2022, 05:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Anyone know when this will increase by the usual 5 it does when NFL season starts? I'd expect to start seeing some activity even over and above need due to injuries. At this point we may have some new injuries and some player returning from injuries. Hard to tell net changes or need without knowing actual injury status.

However, teams add more players to the PR to look at some players for 2023 potentially. Can't see too many new players actually seeing the field much for this year unless necessary.  That said, what's necessary is dictated by injuries now and going forward.

There might be some trade opportunities with a few teams about to be eliminated from 2022 playoffs. I don't want to sell the farm, but there might still be some possibilities out there.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

gobombersgo

Looks like the window to add more players to the practice roster has started as BC and Edmonton have added players the last couple of days.

I believe the expanded practice rosters is only for 30 days so if teams sign players now they need to release players 30 days later.

The Bombers might wait a couple of weeks to add to their practice roster. They may want to use the expanded roster to hold onto players leading up to the playoffs.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 13, 2022, 05:49:16 PM
Anyone know when this will increase by the usual 5 it does when NFL season starts? I'd expect to start seeing some activity even over and above need due to injuries. At this point we may have some new injuries and some player returning from injuries. Hard to tell net changes or need without knowing actual injury status.

However, teams add more players to the PR to look at some players for 2023 potentially. Can't see too many new players actually seeing the field much for this year unless necessary.  That said, what's necessary is dictated by injuries now and going forward.

There might be some trade opportunities with a few teams about to be eliminated from 2022 playoffs. I don't want to sell the farm, but there might still be some possibilities out there.
when was the last time the Bombers made a significant trade this late in the season other than the acquisition of Zach from TO?  That turned out to be  the deal of the decade!
Bomber fan for life

gobombersgo

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on September 13, 2022, 08:30:16 PM
when was the last time the Bombers made a significant trade this late in the season other than the acquisition of Zach from TO?  That turned out to be  the deal of the decade!
It was around this date in 2016 when Drew Willy was traded to TO for TJ Heath and draft picks. Then Walters picked up Kevin Glenn fron Montreal.

Blue In BC

It doesn't happen often. I'm just saying it falls into the realm of possibility. If a team ( Ottawa for example ) has a player in the last year of his deal and not in their plans for 2023, he might be available. Ottawa seems to be out of any play off hunt now. SMS and the view to re-build their roster more in 2023 might make someone available.

Another example mentioned was Darby who seems to have fallen out of favour in Hamilton. Don't know why but he'd be a good acquisition.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: gobombersgo on September 13, 2022, 08:43:02 PM
It was around this date in 2016 when Drew Willy was traded to TO for TJ Heath and draft picks. Then Walters picked up Kevin Glenn fron Montreal.

That was the trade?  What a great move by KW.  Heath was a key piece of the puzzle of returning our secondary to respectability.  And free DPs too...
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Trades in general don't happen that often. But Walters has shown a pretty decent ability to make them happen.

If there's a need and we're not addressing it - the value must not be there.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 14, 2022, 07:32:36 AM
That was the trade?  What a great move by KW.  Heath was a key piece of the puzzle of returning our secondary to respectability.  And free DPs too...

Here's how the Willy draft picks were cashed in.

Argos 1st Round Pick #1 in 2017, Faith Ekakitie 

Argos 3rd Round Pick #26 in 2018 Daniel Petermann