Nicked Taylor

Started by TecnoGenius, September 13, 2022, 05:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Nick Taylor injury in the Banjo Bowl looked like an achilles?  Argh... even if it's something else, it looked really bad, like we often see causing season-enders.  Fan sitting next to me saw Rose getting really emotional and angry after he asked Taylor what the injury was on the field.  I didn't see it, and I don't think it's on TV, but that further hints at it being a bad one.

Nick doesn't get all the plaudits but he's a monster halfback that makes plays all over the field and is a vet of our 2 GCs.  If he's out until next season that is a massive blow to our depleted DB corps.  And with Maston and Houston being out...

Teams already picking on Parker.  And they will be to Holm too.  We're getting thin,

On the bright side, Alexander should be coming back in sometime this decade next few weeks.  I'm guessing you have to keep Hallett at FS and use Alexander at HB or CB and shuffle.

Do we start making trade/FA inquiries now?  I would think it's imperative.  Does EDM, OTT, HAM have any guys worth looking at?  Too bad Jones#16 went to MTL and they'll make the playoffs...
Never go full Rider!

Lincoln Locomotive

At some point something's gotta give....we keep losing key guys every game and haven't been healthy just about the entire season.    We need help...plain and simple
Bomber fan for life

LXTSN

I don't think Hassell is the answer, but he will provide some relief at least. We do also have Ford, who I think could make good use of these reps. Let's get those guys involved, so we can have guys ready for playing in the playoffs.

pjrocksmb

The team will continue to deploy the next man up strategy and we will find backups to place on PR

concerning trend but I'm not worried

Lots of time to heal and give next guys up Lots reps

All that said Taylor is exceptional

3rdand1.5

Even though its how we got Zach, I am usually not a big fan of late season trades, but....looking at our depleted roster we may need to honestly look at a DB/HB with some game time under his belt. When is the deadline, and does anyone know of any long in the tooth rental players from the (soon to be) non playoff teams that could be a good fit?
Anyone keeping track of who CJ has released...its too many for me to keep track of, any of them any CB/HB with game experience worth feeling out?

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: pjrocksmb on September 13, 2022, 02:35:35 PM
The team will continue to deploy the next man up strategy and we will find backups to place on PR

concerning trend but I'm not worried

Lots of time to heal and give next guys up Lots reps

All that said Taylor is exceptional
That has been true for the entire season up to recently....however when we keep losing key players IE Taylor, Woli et al we may be reaching the tipping point as far as how competitive we might be in the playoffs.

When it comes down to the crunch time and playoffs, the teams that are on a roll and healthy typically succeed.   As good as our "next man up" philosophy has paid off keeping us ahead of the pack....the Bombers are not invincible or immune to losing too many key players either.

The next game up is always the test and on paper, despite a plethora of injuries to key players....we should find a way to win. 

Getting a healthy Couture and Alexander back should be a boost so I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed despite being 12-1 and playing what has been a disappointment of a Ti-Cat team so far this season.

You have been correct in most of your predictions so far this season and remain optimistic as to our future heading into the last 5 games of the season.    Myself OTOH, am more reserved in my optimism as this IS the CFL and stranger things have happened! 

It's not how we started but how we finish.   Anything short of a 3-Peat will be a major major let down for the Bombers as a team and their fans....including myself!   
Bomber fan for life

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: LXTSN on September 13, 2022, 02:11:46 PM
I don't think Hassell is the answer, but he will provide some relief at least. We do also have Ford, who I think could make good use of these reps. Let's get those guys involved, so we can have guys ready for playing in the playoffs.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion so quickly, I think Hassell probably is the first solution they try and he has 7 weeks and 5 almost meaningless games to get the hang of playing DB in the CFL.  As long as they are ready for Maier and the Stamps in the W.F., growing pains will be tolerated in their remaining games.  Also vitally important that Clements or Wilson return at LB before the playoffs to help shut down the running game.

Pigskin

I like TJ, but i am still bring in more DB's. I would be looking at players with CFL experience if possible. Trades are not out of the questions.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on September 13, 2022, 05:18:15 PM
I like TJ, but i am still bring in more DB's. I would be looking at players with CFL experience if possible. Trades are not out of the questions.

Alden Darby is not being used by the Ti-Cats and has even been shuffled to the PR at least once this season, he knows the system and he fits in good.  Go get em Kyle!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 13, 2022, 05:09:50 PM
Not sure how you came to that conclusion so quickly, I think Hassell probably is the first solution they try and he has 7 weeks and 5 almost meaningless games to get the hang of playing DB in the CFL.  As long as they are ready for Maier and the Stamps in the W.F., growing pains will be tolerated in their remaining games.  Also vitally important that Clements or Wilson return at LB before the playoffs to help shut down the running game.

I agree. There is nothing to base that on at the moment. He has very good physical attributes in size and speed. He's got some pro experience.

Yes I would be bringing in some new DB's on the PR to get a look see. I think I mentioned last week maybe we can pry Darby back for a low cost in trade ( neg list, low draft choice ) etc?

It all depends on when Alexander, Houston and now Taylor will be available if at all in 2022. Only the team knows about that at the moment.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

LXTSN

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 13, 2022, 05:09:50 PM
Bad wording on my part. I should've said we don't know if he will be the answer.
My reasoning would be since he has played mostly safety in his career, I don't think he will have the greatest cover skills, but I would love to see this guy build a career here! I'll be rooting for him!

Blue In BC

Quote from: LXTSN on September 13, 2022, 05:33:08 PM
Bad wording on my part. I should've said we don't know if he will be the answer.
My reasoning would be since he has played mostly safety in his career, I don't think he will have the greatest cover skills, but I would love to see this guy build a career here! I'll be rooting for him!

NFL safety is not the same as a CFL deep safety. NFL only has a 4 man secondary on an 11 man roster on defence. I would think he does have good cover skills and can run support. The difference in the CFL is motion, size of the field and shorter time clock.

He's only been in camp for a couple of weeks so knowledge of the play book and communicating with the rest of the players is in a learning curve.

I'm optimistic he could be a good player.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: LXTSN on September 13, 2022, 05:33:08 PM

I would like to know how he tackles with only 2 fingers and no thumb on his left hand, hopefully he is allowed to wear a pointy hook!

LXTSN

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 13, 2022, 05:38:20 PM
NFL safety is not the same as a CFL deep safety. NFL only has a 4 man secondary on an 11 man roster on defence. I would think he does have good cover skills and can run support. The difference in the CFL is motion, size of the field and shorter time clock.

He's only been in camp for a couple of weeks so knowledge of the play book and communicating with the rest of the players is in a learning curve.

I'm optimistic he could be a good player.

I think you're right in a way. I think that NFL safety is probably simalir to playing corner in the CFL. You are more focused on the eyes of the QB and react based on that, so I think I see where you're going with that.

LXTSN

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 13, 2022, 05:49:43 PM
I would like to know how he tackles with only 2 fingers and no thumb on his left hand, hopefully he is allowed to wear a pointy hook!
Actually I was surprised at how many tackles he had racked up in college! It's worth noting that Shaq Griffin played for the Seahawks for a few seasons in the NFL without his entire hand!

blue_or_die

34 going 35 next season with a major season-ending injury is not good news. Hate to say it but there is absolutely a chance that was the last play of football in this guy's long and decorated career  :'(
#Ride?

Blue In BC

Quote from: LXTSN on September 13, 2022, 06:58:50 PM
I think you're right in a way. I think that NFL safety is probably simalir to playing corner in the CFL. You are more focused on the eyes of the QB and react based on that, so I think I see where you're going with that.

No I'd think it's closer to playing DB in the CFL. The NFL has CB's, a strong side and weak side safety. Those are players that can be a SAM type player in the CFL.  They are inside players in the secondary.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_or_die on September 13, 2022, 07:20:46 PM
34 going 35 next season with a major season-ending injury is not good news. Hate to say it but there is absolutely a chance that was the last play of football in this guy's long and decorated career  :'(

That's quite possible. If he has an achilles injury that's a year + in re-hab. So depending on the severity he may not be available until mid season next year if at all.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on September 13, 2022, 04:44:44 PM
That has been true for the entire season up to recently....however when we keep losing key players IE Taylor, Woli et al we may be reaching the tipping point as far as how competitive we might be in the playoffs.

When it comes down to the crunch time and playoffs, the teams that are on a roll and healthy typically succeed.   As good as our "next man up" philosophy has paid off keeping us ahead of the pack....the Bombers are not invincible or immune to losing too many key players either.

The next game up is always the test and on paper, despite a plethora of injuries to key players....we should find a way to win. 

Getting a healthy Couture and Alexander back should be a boost so I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed despite being 12-1 and playing what has been a disappointment of a Ti-Cat team so far this season.

You have been correct in most of your predictions so far this season and remain optimistic as to our future heading into the last 5 games of the season.    Myself OTOH, am more reserved in my optimism as this IS the CFL and stranger things have happened! 

It's not how we started but how we finish.   Anything short of a 3-Peat will be a major major let down for the Bombers as a team and their fans....including myself!  
Makes some good point and yes anything can happen but I do trust the depth on this club and our management and coaches to figure it out.

I want a third cup but I am not as hell bent on it as you.

I want the club to continue to make roster moves that are for the good of the team mid to long term.  Consistency and patience has brought us great success and I want to stay the course.  Not against bringing in new talent but I wouldn't give up much to fill our gaps at the moment.

That's nice of you to point out that I was right on some of my predictions, props man.  This forum is a great place because we can all state what we think, collectively we get it right most of the time! :)

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_or_die on September 13, 2022, 07:20:46 PM

Wow, I had no idea Nick was that old.  He plays like a guy 8 years younger.  It's strange, but he might be the lynchpin of the secondary... I don't recall him ever being injured since he joined blue & gold?  I sincerely hope he does the rehab and comes back next season, but I can understand if he calls it quits.  And I hope the other guys go and get 3rd ring for Nick (as he'd get on the IR, right?).

Thanks guys for reminding me of Hassell, but like was pointed out, he's a green rookie here up north.  He might be the next Alford/Nichols, or he might be the next Roc.  We can't know (yet).

I will say I was at IGF for BB super early (like first in the gate) and soon after I got in Hassell was out with only the kickers (and BO) on the field and was practising INTs.  He was making every catch one-handed, and didn't miss a single one.  Dude clearly has found ways to compensate and I have no doubt he's great tackler too.
Never go full Rider!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: pjrocksmb on September 13, 2022, 07:49:09 PM
Makes some good point and yes anything can happen but I do trust the depth on this club and our management and coaches to figure it out.

I want a third cup but I am not as hell bent on it as you.

I want the club to continue to make roster moves that are for the good of the team mid to long term.  Consistency and patience has brought us great success and I want to stay the course.  Not against bringing in new talent but I wouldn't give up much to fill our gaps at the moment.

That's nice of you to point out that I was right on some of my predictions, props man.  This forum is a great place because we can all state what we think, collectively we get it right most of the time! :)
As for being "hell bent" on a 3-peat....I was OK with us just winning in 2019 having attended my very first GC game ever and us winning it, especially in the manner in how we won!   It was definitely a check on my bucket list and as a Bomber fan of 60 years, I could have died and gone to Heaven after that game.  Winning our 2nd Cup our was icing on the cake.   In fact last year, I was actually resigned to losing to the Cats as they played well enough to win....however we managed to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat with Zach as our leader.  

I'm actually with you on the maintaining of our dynasty over the long haul....however at 12-1 this season, we have to be  seriously considered as the GC contender.    If we don't 3-Peat obviously I will be disappointed however I wouldn't be as devastated as were the Ti-Cat fans last year.  Like you, I'd rather see us be a contender over the long haul.  

There is something very special about this team and it starts with Miller, Walters, O'Shea, Buck, Zach, WJ, Biggie, Nic, Schoen, Nicholls, Taylor, Alexander, Bailey and all the way through our roster ad infinitum!   And to top it all off....there's our FANS who definitely are on point, some of the best and most intelligent  fans, if not THE best fans in the CFL!!
Bomber fan for life

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 13, 2022, 08:07:21 PM
Wow, I had no idea Nick was that old.  He plays like a guy 8 years younger.  It's strange, but he might be the lynchpin of the secondary... I don't recall him ever being injured since he joined blue & gold?  I sincerely hope he does the rehab and comes back next season, but I can understand if he calls it quits.  And I hope the other guys go and get 3rd ring for Nick (as he'd get on the IR, right?).

Thanks guys for reminding me of Hassell, but like was pointed out, he's a green rookie here up north.  He might be the next Alford/Nichols, or he might be the next Roc.  We can't know (yet).

I will say I was at IGF for BB super early (like first in the gate) and soon after I got in Hassell was out with only the kickers (and BO) on the field and was practising INTs.  He was making every catch one-handed, and didn't miss a single one.  Dude clearly has found ways to compensate and I have no doubt he's great tackler too.

thanks for your keen observations....duly noted.   He didn't get this far without some exceptional compensating skills.    I hope he sticks with the team as he will just add another building block to the overall Bomber team ethic!   
Bomber fan for life

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on September 13, 2022, 08:11:37 PM
And to top it all off....there's our FANS who definitely are on point, some of the best and most intelligent  fans, if not THE best fans in the CFL!!

I noticed there were no "let's go bombers" chants on O at the Banjo Bowl... so the fans wised up!  Or it was a different set of fairweather/drunk fans  ;) ;)

It's funny but every time I post a request to this board, it magically comes true 1-2 weeks later!  :D :D
Never go full Rider!

pjrocksmb

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 13, 2022, 09:02:25 PM
I noticed there were no "let's go bombers" chants on O at the Banjo Bowl... so the fans wised up!  Or it was a different set of fairweather/drunk fans  ;) ;)

It's funny but every time I post a request to this board, it magically comes true 1-2 weeks later!  :D :D

Did you see on the scoreboard it said to be quiet for the offense, nice touch there

NewBlue

Quote from: pjrocksmb on September 14, 2022, 12:45:33 AM
Did you see on the scoreboard it said to be quiet for the offense, nice touch there

Saw that too, and thought about that thread

TecnoGenius

Never go full Rider!

Ducky

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 13, 2022, 05:49:43 PM
Watch his highlights on youtube.  He is extremely physical and a very good tackler.

DM83

Nothing like prejudices.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: DM83 on September 14, 2022, 04:29:46 AM
Nothing like prejudices.

Uh, you try tackling or intercepting with 2 fingers on one hand!!
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Taylor is an exceptional player and leader on the field. O'Shea mentioned that he is one of the fastest players on our roster. I didn't know that specifically but he's certainly all over the field on defence.

O'Shea also mentioned that Holm is extremely fast as well. Inexperienced but speed is somewhat of an equalizer. Losing both Houston and Taylor is going to hurt.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 14, 2022, 02:26:15 PM
Taylor is an exceptional player and leader on the field. O'Shea mentioned that he is one of the fastest players on our roster. I didn't know that specifically but he's certainly all over the field on defence.

O'Shea also mentioned that Holm is extremely fast as well. Inexperienced but speed is somewhat of an equalizer. Losing both Houston and Taylor is going to hurt. Not our first choice probably, but could work if we need some experience there.

True. The good news is Alexander is super versatile so if he's healthy and get up to speed quickly we could potentially use him somewhere else in the secondary and keep Hallett at safety.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 14, 2022, 03:24:13 PM
True. The good news is Alexander is super versatile so if he's healthy and get up to speed quickly we could potentially use him somewhere else in the secondary and keep Hallett at safety.

I also mentioned that option earlier. It will depend on how well both Parker and Holm do as next men up in the secondary.  Parker hasn't looked to bad at this point. Holm has only played about 1/2 a game as a starter so it's too too early to really judge. Then there is the addition of Hassell to the roster. There are several possible outcomes I suppose.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 14, 2022, 05:21:55 PM
I also mentioned that option earlier. It will depend on how well both Parker and Holm do as next men up in the secondary.  Parker hasn't looked to bad at this point. Holm has only played about 1/2 a game as a starter so it's too too early to really judge. Then there is the addition of Hassell to the roster. There are several possible outcomes I suppose.

I think a number of people have mentioned this. Holm is also getting first team reps this week. So this will help him a lot.  He looked pretty quick out there today, and seems to cover well. Hassell also has very good speed.

TecnoGenius

Any official word on whether Taylor is a season-ender or not?  I couldn't find the info on the BB site / news / interviews.

Holm said "We?re going to miss him a lot" about Taylor and that to me sounds like Taylor is out for a long time.  Not the wording you use if a dude has a hangnail and will be back in 2 weeks.

Can someone post the official word (or solid insiders rumour) in this thread once they find out?  Thanks
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 15, 2022, 04:49:21 AM
Any official word on whether Taylor is a season-ender or not?  I couldn't find the info on the BB site / news / interviews.

Holm said "We?re going to miss him a lot" about Taylor and that to me sounds like Taylor is out for a long time.  Not the wording you use if a dude has a hangnail and will be back in 2 weeks.

Can someone post the official word (or solid insiders rumour) in this thread once they find out?  Thanks

The official word always comes from MOS, and you know he's not going to tell anybody anything.  Best we can do is deduce and speculate, I speculate Taylor's injury is serious and he's gone for the duration of the season.

Jesse

It's hilarious how people always ask about injury updates.
My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

Quote from: Jesse on September 15, 2022, 11:51:36 AM

Agree.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on September 15, 2022, 11:51:36 AM

Most teams/players make it well known when it's an achilles or ACL and will be a season-ender.  Whose interest does it serve to keep that a secret?  Even under The Can Mafia we've been notified when it was a season-ender (Maston).

Look at another team, say HAM/Masoli or BC/Rourke: the whole league knew exactly what the (near)season-ending injury was within 1-2 weeks.

I don't mind the coyness when it's not a season-ender, but I think they should be forthcoming when it is.  There's a difference between an ankle sprain and an achilles.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 15, 2022, 09:51:43 PM
Most teams/players make it well known when it's an achilles or ACL and will be a season-ender.  Whose interest does it serve to keep that a secret?  Even under The Can Mafia we've been notified when it was a season-ender (Maston).

Look at another team, say HAM/Masoli or BC/Rourke: the whole league knew exactly what the (near)season-ending injury was within 1-2 weeks.

I don't mind the coyness when it's not a season-ender, but I think they should be forthcoming when it is.  There's a difference between an ankle sprain and an achilles.

You need to take this argument up with O'Shea directly, let us know how you make out.

blueandgoldguy

I think CFL teams this year were supposed to be a little more transparent with injuries, at least on a week-to-week basis, leading up to the games as it affects the odds for the various gambling sites that the CFL has established important partnerships.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blueandgoldguy on September 16, 2022, 01:08:09 AM
I think CFL teams this year were supposed to be a little more transparent with injuries, at least on a week-to-week basis, leading up to the games as it affects the odds for the various gambling sites that the CFL has established important partnerships.

Yes, that was supposed to be the plan, they obviously haven't followed through.

Jesse

Quote from: blueandgoldguy on September 16, 2022, 01:08:09 AM

I would like to hear a reporter ask MOS about that - because it was/is a league directive,
My wife is amazing!