Hansen

Started by theaardvark, September 05, 2022, 03:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DM83

Its subjective.
I don't see him sustaining a block past the initial contact.  Which is often good for a pro back.
If he sustains the block and takes his man downfield, our backs get more yardage.

In pass blocking, he is the weakest. (We called those guys turnstiles in my playing days! lol!) ever wonder why Zac has to escape and roll right?

He is tall and athletic (can run)  I guess the coachs respect the learning practice.

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 08, 2022, 04:53:23 AM
That's a bold statement.  Maybe one day, but way too premature a thought for now.  Gray has clearly been the weak link this season.  I think he's gotten better, and we can blame Ko-man for some of the A-gap trouble, I guess.  But he's still not at the stage I think we all expected by this point in his career.

It wasn't a good sign when Desjar leap-frogged Gray for the starting spot when he did.

Gray would have to develop into "outstanding" territory before we'd bother to go 4 NAT OL.  No, the guys here are right: we're likely to keep our 2 IMP tackle concept for a long time.  We're so flush with NATs at all positions that why wouldn't we find the "next Bryant/Hardrick" down south when the time comes?

You are right about Gray's best qualities: speed and athleticism.  But he needs more game reps to keep increasing that football IQ.

He originally was supposed to be an OT, but how do you supplant Bryant and Hardrick?  I think we might see hm move outside once one of those guys retires...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on September 08, 2022, 04:19:11 PM
He originally was supposed to be an OT, but how do you supplant rdricBryant and Hak?  I think we might see hm move outside once one of those guys retires...

Nobody suggested Gray supplant either OT, but the sands of time are trickling out for Bryant, Hardrick and Neufeld, all of which will have to be replaced in the next 2-3 years and maybe at the end of this year for Stanley.  If you want to keep a dynasty rolling along, refreshing the O-line is as important as identifying the future QB to lead the team.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 08, 2022, 05:37:01 PM
Nobody suggested Gray supplant either OT, but the sands of time are trickling out for Bryant, Hardrick and Neufeld, all of which will have to be replaced in the next 2-3 years and maybe at the end of this year for Stanley.  If you want to keep a dynasty rolling along, refreshing the O-line is as important as identifying the future QB to lead the team.

If you ask me I would say Drew Brown Brown will be our plan for next QB1.

I would actually be surprised if Bryant plays beyond this year. We need good new studs on the edge!

I give Hardrick only 1 additional year here.

Same with Neufeld I would not be surprised if he packs it in at the end of this year especially if we win it.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Pigskin

Speaking of Neufeld, he wasn't a great OL when he came into the league. The Rider kind of gave up on him and traded him to us. He has developed into one of the best in the league. This is Gray's first year starting, let's give him a little more time.

I find to many times on this board we are will to throw away some good Canadian talent. Nic Hallett, never be a starting safety. Nic has played very well.  Leggs, need a better kicker. Leggs is looking like the kicker he was in College. Woli82 in 2019, drops to many balls. Mr. Reliable, and as tough as they come.  ND10, injury prone, never last. Maybe the best dual threat in the CFL.  BO20, push the panic button he's no good. Again his first year as a everyday starter in the CFL. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

DM83

Pigskin, you re  exagerating.  But your point is understood.

Bryant seems to be doig fine.  Its Harwick that looks like a beached whale.. All the boys do what I love....get downfield to the 2nd and even 3rd level.

LXTSN

Quote from: Pigskin on September 08, 2022, 06:25:46 PM
Speaking of Neufeld, he wasn't a great OL when he came into the league. The Rider kind of gave up on him and traded him to us. He has developed into one of the best in the league. This is Gray's first year starting, let's give him a little more time.

I find to many times on this board we are will to throw away some good Canadian talent. Nic Hallett, never be a starting safety. Nic has played very well.  Leggs, need a better kicker. Leggs is looking like the kicker he was in College. Woli82 in 2019, drops to many balls. Mr. Reliable, and as tough as they come.  ND10, injury prone, never last. Maybe the best dual threat in the CFL.  BO20, push the panic button he's no good. Again his first year as a everyday starter in the CFL. 
Yeah this is really exaggerated. Everybody has "their" guys and everyone has guys they don't think can play (except for PJ). Nothing wrong with having an opinion, that's what we're all here for right?

Gray has improved lots, probably takes about half the penalties he did at the beginning of the year, and is not missing as many tackles. He's just 27 years old, so he has time to get a lot better!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: LXTSN on September 08, 2022, 07:08:30 PM

Gray has improved lots, probably takes about half the penalties he did at the beginning of the year, and is not missing as many tackles. He's just 27 years old, so he has time to get a lot better!

Gray looked great stepping in for Bryant during the B.B. for a spell, Dobson seemed to fit in well at LG as well.

LXTSN

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 13, 2022, 06:30:20 PM
Gray looked great stepping in for Bryant during the B.B. for a spell, Dobson seemed to fit in well at LG as well.
Yep. completely agree

TecnoGenius

Yes... that leads to the question, can a NAT OL be better at tackle than guard??  Can that actually be a thing?

Maybe Gray would be more effective if/once he moves to tackle.
Never go full Rider!

pjrocksmb

Quote from: LXTSN on September 08, 2022, 07:08:30 PM
Yeah this is really exaggerated. Everybody has "their" guys and everyone has guys they don't think can play (except for PJ). Nothing wrong with having an opinion, that's what we're all here for right?

I have been on the forum for many years and have debated the positive and negative side of many players, coaches and managers.  Yes I've been positive as of late (hard not to be when we have been so great) as we have built a dynasty but to suggest I don't have "my guys" I don't "think can play" is false. I believe I have a fairly consistent track record of having the narrative to support players, coaches and management when times are tough bad games etc. and I have also provided criticism when I seen weakness.  I do agree we are all on here to debate the leagues players and share opinions.  It's not about being right, it's about sharing.  Agree about Gray..

Examples of my criticisms this year:
OL play early in season (no holed for run game)
BO before he started finding his game / right around when JA starting coming on
Grant as a receiver / poor route running
Bucks play calling at times (not as of late)
JA's blocking
Thompson when 1st started

Players I have stood up for this year:
Bailey
BO
Leggs
Gauthier
Briggs

Good players that will be great.   I believe many been too hard on Gray (has had weak moments but that's how you learn and improve).  Key cog for our future.

Pigskin

Hansen is a big part of our teams. While he's gone someone else needs to step up. With that said, TH3 is still on the 1 game IR, along with NT9, DW82, and NH23 which could be good news long term.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on September 16, 2022, 02:59:03 PM
Hansen is a big part of our teams. While he's gone someone else needs to step up. With that said, TH3 is still on the 1 game IR, along with NT9, DW82, and NH23 which could be good news long term.

Being on the 1 game IR could be relatively good news regarding those players.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 16, 2022, 03:11:20 PM
Being on the 1 game IR could be relatively good news regarding those players.

Who knows what's going on anymore, we need a timely Walters press conference to clear up a few questions about roster management.  It looks like there must be little cap savings for 6 gaming these players, so they're not bothering to do it, otherwise we have to assume none of these injuries are season ending.