Hansen

Started by theaardvark, September 05, 2022, 03:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Any update on Hansen's injury?  It looked like it could have been anything from a cramp to a break...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

Quote from: theaardvark on September 05, 2022, 03:51:48 PM
Any update on Hansen's injury?  It looked like it could have been anything from a cramp to a break...

Come on Ards. you know we wouldn't get anything until the Bombers go back to practice. Even on the Bomber show, MOS will only say lower body, we will have to wait and see.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

theaardvark

Quote from: Pigskin on September 05, 2022, 03:54:09 PM
Come on Ards. you know we wouldn't get anything until the Bombers go back to practice. Even on the Bomber show, MOS will only say lower body, we will have to wait and see.

No, I was wondering if anyone saw anything during the game or broadcast... there was a clip of him on the bench... but I don't remember seeing anything after.  Just rewatching right now...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

I've re-watched the game this morning. It appeared as though he planted his foot and the injury was not really related to being blocked directly. He may have rolled his ankle but they were looking at the entire leg from the knee down. Also they were checking his achilles area but it wasn't clear if that was the problem.  He did look to be in serious pain and needed assistance off the field.

At best an ankle injury but those can take weeks to recover and I expect him to be placed on IR. Realistically he goes on 6 game IR and he's ready early he could be removed early. My point being I doubt it's ok in a week.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 05, 2022, 04:17:55 PM
I've re-watched the game this morning. It appeared as though he planted his foot and the injury was not really related to being blocked directly. He may have rolled his ankle but they were looking at the entire leg from the knee down. Also they were checking his achilles area but it wasn't clear if that was the problem.  He did look to be in serious pain and needed assistance off the field.

At best an ankle injury but those can take weeks to recover and I expect him to be placed on IR. Realistically he goes on 6 game IR and he's ready early he could be removed early. My point being I doubt it's ok in a week.

Hopefully that's not the last we'll see of Hansen, he's put a lot of effort to get were he has with little financial reward.  If he's gone for the season with a serious injury he may not be inclined to make a come back next season.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 05, 2022, 05:07:06 PM
Hopefully that's not the last we'll see of Hansen, he's put a lot of effort to get were he has with little financial reward.  If he's gone for the season with a serious injury he may not be inclined to make a come back next season.

He is getting paid, whether he plays or not, and he gets a big raise next year with the change in the CBA...

If he is healthy, he will be back...

Lincoln Locomotive

He hits a ton!   Hope he's ok!
Bomber fan for life

DM83

I didn?t see much other than he kind of planted it and it slid forward.  Sort of like Rourkes, from what I saw on the replays of each.   I wouldn?t bet on my opinion, as it was like nothing any previous injury.

I also think he will be back.  He ain?t no Edmonton Elk.

Blue In BC

Quote from: DM83 on September 06, 2022, 12:09:32 AM
I didn?t see much other than he kind of planted it and it slid forward.  Sort of like Rourkes, from what I saw on the replays of each.   I wouldn?t bet on my opinion, as it was like nothing any previous injury.

I also think he will be back.  He ain?t no Edmonton Elk.

It appeared to be a lateral twist. Rourke was a lengthwise push  causing a fracture on the top of the foot.

Anyway. I hope he'll be back before the end of the season too. I just think he ends up on 6 game IR next week and then it's wait and see how rehab goes. If it requires any sort of surgery then he's finished for the season.

We might hear if he requires surgery early this week. If we don't hear that then there is some hope.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

bwiser

The one thing about Hansen getting injured now is he will have almost two full months to recover. We need him for the playoffs and with the Bombers already clinching a playoff spot and the inside track on a home playoff game he will have time to come back as good as new.

Blue In BC

Quote from: bwiser on September 06, 2022, 03:59:29 PM
The one thing about Hansen getting injured now is he will have almost two full months to recover. We need him for the playoffs and with the Bombers already clinching a playoff spot and the inside track on a home playoff game he will have time to come back as good as new.

He's very important on ST's and plays a role on defence too. He's only had a few actual DT's but does provide good rotation and pressure in the back field.

I'm not quite sure what the impact will be on the roster replacing him in those roles. We don't have another Global that can fill that role. It might mean we see Wilcots or Mack or Cooper as a DI more often?

It's going to be a balancing act as some players return from IR as well.

Just a general assumption that we see Couture, Grant and Clements as possibly returning. Slight chance of Hallett and Alexander as well.

Coming off would fall among Harrison, Cole, Wilcots, Holm and Hansen.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

kkc60

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 06, 2022, 05:12:04 PM
He's very important on ST's and plays a role on defence too. He's only had a few actual DT's but does provide good rotation and pressure in the back field.

I'm not quite sure what the impact will be on the roster replacing him in those roles. We don't have another Global that can fill that role. It might mean we see Wilcots or Mack or Cooper as a DI more often?

It's going to be a balancing act as some players return from IR as well.

Just a general assumption that we see Couture, Grant and Clements as possibly returning. Slight chance of Hallett and Alexander as well.

Coming off would fall among Harrison, Cole, Wilcots, Holm and Hansen.
As long as Houston is out, Holm is in. Also have been impressed by him on STs. I think once Grant is back Harrison is off and Dobson moves to the one game IR once Couture returns, although I would prefer to see Kolankowski off

Blue In BC

Quote from: kkc60 on September 06, 2022, 05:19:53 PM
As long as Houston is out, Holm is in. Also have been impressed by him on STs. I think once Grant is back Harrison is off and Dobson moves to the one game IR once Couture returns, although I would prefer to see Kolankowski off

Part of that hinges on whether Alexander is returning this week. Thompson is back so that's another option in not needing an import DB as a DI, possibly. Thompson plays on ST's too.

If Grant is returning then that is another reduction in what Holm has been needed to do. So all in all a variety of possibilities.

We probably will have gone from 3 globals down to 1 now. That gives us room to roster 7 Canadian OL allowing Couture back on the roster without removing another Canadian as a result.

Realistically I don't see adding in Karamoko ( Global DB ) or Lavigne ( Canadian DB ) as the 1st choices over Couture for example.

Clements would replace Cole likely and as I suggested Grant would replace Holm although I see your point about DB depth influencing the choice.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: kkc60 on September 06, 2022, 05:19:53 PM

I think Dobson has established his worth on the heavy team, he's a beast inside, so I see him replacing Kolankowski as the vital 6th man when Couture resumes play.  I expect Dobson to be a starting OG eventually, once Neufeld, Bryant or Hardrick call it quits, there will be some required shuffling of positions and I think Gray ends up as an OT.

TBURGESS

Did Alexander practice more than once last week? (IIRC he didn't)
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

LXTSN

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 06, 2022, 06:36:30 PM
I think Dobson has established his worth on the heavy team, he's a beast inside, so I see him replacing Kolankowski as the vital 6th man when Couture resumes play.  I expect Dobson to be a starting OG eventually, once Neufeld, Bryant or Hardrick call it quits, there will be some required shuffling of positions and I think Gray ends up as an OT.
This is actually a bit of a scary issue for us. If Bryant retires after this year, we need to make sure that we have someone to replace him.
I don't love Gray at that spot. I think Gray provides the most value as the 6th OL on heavy sets. He is big and fast, so pulling on run blocks is probably his best skill at this point in his carreer.
I think that there's a better chance of us taking a shot with one of our American guys on the PR. Maybe there's a chance for us to give a break to Bryant and slide someone in later in the season?

kkc60

Quote from: LXTSN on September 06, 2022, 07:02:04 PM
This is actually a bit of a scary issue for us. If Bryant retires after this year, we need to make sure that we have someone to replace him.
I don't love Gray at that spot. I think Gray provides the most value as the 6th OL on heavy sets. He is big and fast, so pulling on run blocks is probably his best skill at this point in his carreer.
I think that there's a better chance of us taking a shot with one of our American guys on the PR. Maybe there's a chance for us to give a break to Bryant and slide someone in later in the season?
Can?t really worry about an off-season retirement right now. Good chance the replacement for Bryant would be either a free agency signing or currently injured (they seem to like Drew Richmond).

Probably would put Eric Lofton in for Bryant near the end of the year depending how the standings unfold

Blue In BC

Quote from: kkc60 on September 06, 2022, 07:06:04 PM
Can?t really worry about an off-season retirement right now. Good chance the replacement for Bryant would be either a free agency signing or currently injured (they seem to like Drew Richmond).

Probably would put Eric Lofton in for Bryant near the end of the year depending how the standings unfold

We may see several PR or IR players at the end of the season. Normal to want to avoid injuries to the starters and to see what the depth players can do. Could well be that our last two games are meaningless in the standings at that point.

If the Lions slump at all due to injuries at QB, we may lock up 1st place early.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

I guess it depends on who your backup C is... can Neufeld or Gray, or Dobson back up at C?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on September 06, 2022, 11:22:01 PM
I guess it depends on who your backup C is... can Neufeld or Gray, or Dobson back up at C?

Neufeld has done it in the past, although it's been a very long time since he's had to.

Tiger

Quote from: LXTSN on September 06, 2022, 07:02:04 PM

Nobody can replace Bryant.  Maybe best ever Blue Bomber blind side tackle.
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

LXTSN

Quote from: Tiger on September 07, 2022, 04:00:06 AM
100% Agree.
I will say that he isn't as good this year as he has been the previous 6 years for us.
I'd go as far to say he has been our greatest OL of all time, but it's really hard to compare guys with no stats lol

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Tiger on September 07, 2022, 04:00:06 AM

Unfortunately they have to prepare to do so, I believe Gray has the capability to play OT, he's big enough, strong enough and has the mobility and balance to do so.  He's more of a pure athlete than any of the other O-linemen so it may look different, but I think he has the capability to do the job well once he learns the tricks of the trade, hopefully Stanley passes on his knowledge before he goes.

Blue In BC

No news yet on Hansen might be good news relatively speaking. Nothing has been said about him going onto the 6 game IR which often tends to happen immediately when " bad news " is determined.

So fingers crossed he's just moved to 1 game IR and may be back in a few weeks. Realistically I think he does go on the 6 game IR but that is more of a wait and see how it goes.

O'Shea was his usual self in just saying Hansen would be out for awhile without real specifics. However I think that was somewhat encouraging.

EDIT: Today's IR report and comments suggest an achilles injury for Hansen. That's not good. I'm not aware of any injury of that nature that recovers in a short time. Could be the end of his season unfortunately.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pjrocksmb

keep drafting Canadian linemen and bringing in US talent!

TecnoGenius

I think Gray ends up as an OT.

That's a bold statement.  Maybe one day, but way too premature a thought for now.  Gray has clearly been the weak link this season.  I think he's gotten better, and we can blame Ko-man for some of the A-gap trouble, I guess.  But he's still not at the stage I think we all expected by this point in his career.

It wasn't a good sign when Desjar leap-frogged Gray for the starting spot when he did.

Gray would have to develop into "outstanding" territory before we'd bother to go 4 NAT OL.  No, the guys here are right: we're likely to keep our 2 IMP tackle concept for a long time.  We're so flush with NATs at all positions that why wouldn't we find the "next Bryant/Hardrick" down south when the time comes?

You are right about Gray's best qualities: speed and athleticism.  But he needs more game reps to keep increasing that football IQ.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 07, 2022, 08:23:17 PM
EDIT: Today's IR report and comments suggest an achilles injury for Hansen. That's not good. I'm not aware of any injury of that nature that recovers in a short time. Could be the end of his season unfortunately.

Funny you say that as when I watched it on the PVR when I got home I was thinking it sure looked like a non-contact injury even though there was some contact.  He just sort of crumbled.  I was thinking achilles.  But I was wrong about the severity of AH's injury in '21 (it looked similar) so I didn't want to jump the gun.

Achilles injuries aren't as numerous as '21, but I think they are still elevated for '22??  I'm curious to see what the season-end numbers will be.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 08, 2022, 04:56:18 AM
Funny you say that as when I watched it on the PVR when I got home I was thinking it sure looked like a non-contact injury even though there was some contact.  He just sort of crumbled.  I was thinking achilles.  But I was wrong about the severity of AH's injury in '21 (it looked similar) so I didn't want to jump the gun.

Achilles injuries aren't as numerous as '21, but I think they are still elevated for '22??  I'm curious to see what the season-end numbers will be.

I saw him crumble as well when watching the game. I re-watched the injury a few times on the PVR. Initially I thought it could be an achilles but in review thought he might have just rolled his ankle.

The medical team was checking everything from the calf down through the foot and ankle including the back on the ankle ( achilles area ).  Maybe it was wishful thinking on my part it was a less serious injury than it might be.

The reality is that I don't know anything more than what was posted on the daily IR report. Even that doesn't indicate the severity.

Perhaps we hear something more definitive this week but the team is pretty tight lipped about extent of injuries.

Wishing Hansen well. It could be something that limits his 2023 season potentially.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

I had high hopes for Gray.  and he is still young.
One question:  would you want to run a play over his gap?

Zac rolls out for a reason.  The left side does not do to well.

LXTSN

Quote from: DM83 on September 08, 2022, 02:01:00 PM
I had high hopes for Gray.  and he is still young.
One question:  would you want to run a play over his gap?

Zac rolls out for a reason.  The left side does not do to well.

I thought he was a really good run blocker, is that incorrect?

DM83

Its subjective.
I don't see him sustaining a block past the initial contact.  Which is often good for a pro back.
If he sustains the block and takes his man downfield, our backs get more yardage.

In pass blocking, he is the weakest. (We called those guys turnstiles in my playing days! lol!) ever wonder why Zac has to escape and roll right?

He is tall and athletic (can run)  I guess the coachs respect the learning practice.

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 08, 2022, 04:53:23 AM
That's a bold statement.  Maybe one day, but way too premature a thought for now.  Gray has clearly been the weak link this season.  I think he's gotten better, and we can blame Ko-man for some of the A-gap trouble, I guess.  But he's still not at the stage I think we all expected by this point in his career.

It wasn't a good sign when Desjar leap-frogged Gray for the starting spot when he did.

Gray would have to develop into "outstanding" territory before we'd bother to go 4 NAT OL.  No, the guys here are right: we're likely to keep our 2 IMP tackle concept for a long time.  We're so flush with NATs at all positions that why wouldn't we find the "next Bryant/Hardrick" down south when the time comes?

You are right about Gray's best qualities: speed and athleticism.  But he needs more game reps to keep increasing that football IQ.

He originally was supposed to be an OT, but how do you supplant Bryant and Hardrick?  I think we might see hm move outside once one of those guys retires...

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on September 08, 2022, 04:19:11 PM
He originally was supposed to be an OT, but how do you supplant rdricBryant and Hak?  I think we might see hm move outside once one of those guys retires...

Nobody suggested Gray supplant either OT, but the sands of time are trickling out for Bryant, Hardrick and Neufeld, all of which will have to be replaced in the next 2-3 years and maybe at the end of this year for Stanley.  If you want to keep a dynasty rolling along, refreshing the O-line is as important as identifying the future QB to lead the team.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 08, 2022, 05:37:01 PM
Nobody suggested Gray supplant either OT, but the sands of time are trickling out for Bryant, Hardrick and Neufeld, all of which will have to be replaced in the next 2-3 years and maybe at the end of this year for Stanley.  If you want to keep a dynasty rolling along, refreshing the O-line is as important as identifying the future QB to lead the team.

If you ask me I would say Drew Brown Brown will be our plan for next QB1.

I would actually be surprised if Bryant plays beyond this year. We need good new studs on the edge!

I give Hardrick only 1 additional year here.

Same with Neufeld I would not be surprised if he packs it in at the end of this year especially if we win it.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Pigskin

Speaking of Neufeld, he wasn't a great OL when he came into the league. The Rider kind of gave up on him and traded him to us. He has developed into one of the best in the league. This is Gray's first year starting, let's give him a little more time.

I find to many times on this board we are will to throw away some good Canadian talent. Nic Hallett, never be a starting safety. Nic has played very well.  Leggs, need a better kicker. Leggs is looking like the kicker he was in College. Woli82 in 2019, drops to many balls. Mr. Reliable, and as tough as they come.  ND10, injury prone, never last. Maybe the best dual threat in the CFL.  BO20, push the panic button he's no good. Again his first year as a everyday starter in the CFL. 

DM83

Pigskin, you re  exagerating.  But your point is understood.

Bryant seems to be doig fine.  Its Harwick that looks like a beached whale.. All the boys do what I love....get downfield to the 2nd and even 3rd level.

LXTSN

Quote from: Pigskin on September 08, 2022, 06:25:46 PM
Speaking of Neufeld, he wasn't a great OL when he came into the league. The Rider kind of gave up on him and traded him to us. He has developed into one of the best in the league. This is Gray's first year starting, let's give him a little more time.

I find to many times on this board we are will to throw away some good Canadian talent. Nic Hallett, never be a starting safety. Nic has played very well.  Leggs, need a better kicker. Leggs is looking like the kicker he was in College. Woli82 in 2019, drops to many balls. Mr. Reliable, and as tough as they come.  ND10, injury prone, never last. Maybe the best dual threat in the CFL.  BO20, push the panic button he's no good. Again his first year as a everyday starter in the CFL. 
Yeah this is really exaggerated. Everybody has "their" guys and everyone has guys they don't think can play (except for PJ). Nothing wrong with having an opinion, that's what we're all here for right?

Gray has improved lots, probably takes about half the penalties he did at the beginning of the year, and is not missing as many tackles. He's just 27 years old, so he has time to get a lot better!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: LXTSN on September 08, 2022, 07:08:30 PM

Gray has improved lots, probably takes about half the penalties he did at the beginning of the year, and is not missing as many tackles. He's just 27 years old, so he has time to get a lot better!

Gray looked great stepping in for Bryant during the B.B. for a spell, Dobson seemed to fit in well at LG as well.

LXTSN

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 13, 2022, 06:30:20 PM
Gray looked great stepping in for Bryant during the B.B. for a spell, Dobson seemed to fit in well at LG as well.
Yep. completely agree

TecnoGenius

Yes... that leads to the question, can a NAT OL be better at tackle than guard??  Can that actually be a thing?

Maybe Gray would be more effective if/once he moves to tackle.
Never go full Rider!

pjrocksmb

Quote from: LXTSN on September 08, 2022, 07:08:30 PM
Yeah this is really exaggerated. Everybody has "their" guys and everyone has guys they don't think can play (except for PJ). Nothing wrong with having an opinion, that's what we're all here for right?

I have been on the forum for many years and have debated the positive and negative side of many players, coaches and managers.  Yes I've been positive as of late (hard not to be when we have been so great) as we have built a dynasty but to suggest I don't have "my guys" I don't "think can play" is false. I believe I have a fairly consistent track record of having the narrative to support players, coaches and management when times are tough bad games etc. and I have also provided criticism when I seen weakness.  I do agree we are all on here to debate the leagues players and share opinions.  It's not about being right, it's about sharing.  Agree about Gray..

Examples of my criticisms this year:
OL play early in season (no holed for run game)
BO before he started finding his game / right around when JA starting coming on
Grant as a receiver / poor route running
Bucks play calling at times (not as of late)
JA's blocking
Thompson when 1st started

Players I have stood up for this year:
Bailey
BO
Leggs
Gauthier
Briggs

Good players that will be great.   I believe many been too hard on Gray (has had weak moments but that's how you learn and improve).  Key cog for our future.

Pigskin

Hansen is a big part of our teams. While he's gone someone else needs to step up. With that said, TH3 is still on the 1 game IR, along with NT9, DW82, and NH23 which could be good news long term.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on September 16, 2022, 02:59:03 PM
Hansen is a big part of our teams. While he's gone someone else needs to step up. With that said, TH3 is still on the 1 game IR, along with NT9, DW82, and NH23 which could be good news long term.

Being on the 1 game IR could be relatively good news regarding those players.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 16, 2022, 03:11:20 PM
Being on the 1 game IR could be relatively good news regarding those players.

Who knows what's going on anymore, we need a timely Walters press conference to clear up a few questions about roster management.  It looks like there must be little cap savings for 6 gaming these players, so they're not bothering to do it, otherwise we have to assume none of these injuries are season ending.