Rider Fans

Started by bluegold4life, September 05, 2022, 09:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DM83

The refs have been very inconsistent.  however, as an amateur touch football ref knowing  the criteria for Pass I, consists of @ 10 criteria.  To determine, all that, in a 100th of a second is really cool to be able to do it.

But think about that.  can you make a decision on a question, that quick?

In today's game throw the flag, conference with other officials, who may have seen the infraction.  If all else fails, consult the booth.

The first three considerations would be:
1.) Who determined positional advantage at the arrival point of the ball? ( keep in mind, on a jump ball, positional advantage may switch.  On an underthrown pass,  perhaps the beaten defender, now  gains the advantage of the arrival position of the ball.)
2.) Did contact by either player cause an advantage by the initiator?
3.) Was contact "equal" and no advantage was gained.

Does that apply in the tackle game?  Yes.

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 08, 2022, 04:00:44 AM
Yes, it's insane.  Maybe once in a while to keep the jumbo D off or keep tempo.  But every single sneak when Bighill et al are going to cream you?  Yikes.  That's dumb coaching.

Maybe Cody thinks he's the next Mike Reilly?  It was dumb when he did it too.

Jones lost Lawler in the same situation... trying to get that $SMS off the books for a while, no doubt... why else is you highest paid player on the end in a sneak?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on September 08, 2022, 04:14:41 PM
Jones lost Lawler in the same situation... trying to get that $SMS off the books for a while, no doubt... why else is you highest paid player on the end in a sneak?

Riderfans forums are all angry Bighill is whacking Cody on those 1 yard sneaks.  Uh, it's a sneak, guys are going over the top trying to whack you back in any way possible.  There is no RTP protection on a sneak for "normal" action.  If SSK is upset, start putting your #2 or #3 in for short yardage!
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 13, 2022, 05:32:48 AM
Riderfans forums are all angry Bighill is whacking Cody on those 1 yard sneaks.  Uh, it's a sneak, guys are going over the top trying to whack you back in any way possible.  There is no RTP protection on a sneak for "normal" action.  If SSK is upset, start putting your #2 or #3 in for short yardage!

Rider fans are like us in the dark days. Mad about everything.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 13, 2022, 01:15:30 PM
Rider fans are like us in the dark days. Mad about everything.

The Riders are still competitive, though. This past week being the obvious exception.

What's relatable is the coaching, IMO.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 13, 2022, 05:32:48 AM
If SSK is upset, start putting your #2 or #3 in for short yardage!

A no brainer. All it takes is one guy landing funny to get injured. Maybe they should be asking not why Bighill comes over the top but why they ask their #1 to run head first into the pile.

Bombers put in a change up guy and use that to our advantage. We almost hit a long pass off a fake sneak in the Banjo Bowl.  Credit Lapo for pioneering some plays/series when he and Strev were here. Buck has continued in a similar way with Prukop.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

LXTSN

Quote from: Waffler on September 13, 2022, 01:57:42 PM
A no brainer. All it takes is one guy landing funny to get injured. Maybe they should be asking not why Bighill comes over the top but why they ask their #1 to run head first into the pile.

Bombers put in a change up guy and use that to our advantage. We almost hit a long pass off a fake sneak in the Banjo Bowl.  Credit Lapo for pioneering some plays/series when he and Strev were here. Buck has continued in a similar way with Prukop.
At that same time, is there someone else that could jump over the top like that? If Bighill got hurt on a second and inches QB sneak, that would be crushing!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on September 13, 2022, 01:18:40 PM
The Riders are still competitive, though. This past week being the obvious exception.

What's relatable is the coaching, IMO.
The Riders despite half their team either suffering from Montezuma's Revenge or MIA, we're still very competitive and are a better team than their record shows.   Their coaching, however is sub par and I've never been a fan of the younger Dickenson.    Their coaching decisions I dare say has cost them a few games this season.   
When they return on September 30, we will see a different team and they may just pack a lunch this time instead of eating out.

At some point, despite our next man up philosophy, losing as many key players as we have recently will start to impact our ability to remain as competitive as we have been.   Of course the key is to keep our O-line intact enough to protect our MOP!   Lose him and all bets are off.   Keep him upright and we will always have a chance to win games.   

Keep saying your prayers to the FOOTBALL GODS Bomber fans!
Bomber fan for life

jdrattops

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on September 13, 2022, 04:20:21 PM
The Riders despite half their team either suffering from Montezuma's Revenge or MIA, we're still very competitive and are a better team than their record shows.   Their coaching, however is sub par and I've never been a fan of the younger Dickenson.    Their coaching decisions I dare say has cost them a few games this season.   
When they return on September 30, we will see a different team and they may just pack a lunch this time instead of eating out.

At some point, despite our next man up philosophy, losing as many key players as we have recently will start to impact our ability to remain as competitive as we have been.   Of course the key is to keep our O-line intact enough to protect our MOP!   Lose him and all bets are off.   Keep him upright and we will always have a chance to win games.   

I never understood how one can claim a team is better or worse than what their record is.  Was it Bill Parcels who said you are what your record is?  He knows a thing or two about football.  The Riders have played 13 games and have been on the short end of the stick 7 times (if Rourke was playing one they would be 5-8).  They're a sub 500 team, plain and simple.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on September 13, 2022, 04:20:21 PM

1.  Craig is the older Dickenson brother.

2.  They didn't eat out in Wpg. and it wasn't food poisoning, according to Dickie 2 he thinks the bug infected the team around Weds. of last week.  I would think it's pretty important to the Rider org. and the CFL that a medical expert identify exactly what the illness was so a reoccurrence can be avoided.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 13, 2022, 04:44:09 PM
1.  Craig is the older Dickenson brother.

2.  They didn't eat out in Wpg. and it wasn't food poisoning, according to Dickie 2 he thinks the bug infected the team around Weds. of last week.  I would think it's pretty important to the Rider org. and the CFL that a medical expert identify exactly what the illness was so a reoccurrence can be avoided.
I was referring to the Dickenson coaching the Riders who is younger than Craig, his brother.   Not sure why you're pointing this out?

Whatever was the cause of the Riders being sick, it had a major impact on their performance on Saturday.   I daresay even if our team had suffered the same fate the outcome would likely have been different.   

They were already pretty beat up before half the team got violently sick and hats off to them for gutting it out, literally in the Banjo Bowl.

We all want to see teams compete with their best players on the field and the win against them left me with a slightly hollow feeling.

It was mentioned by someone that a teams record IS THE indication of who they are and the Riders for various reasons have earned their place in the standings.   That being said, I still remember a very confident 2001 Bomber team who lost to a 7-11 Stamps team in the GC.   The Riders have 6 wins this season with time enough to turn things around in the next 5 games, one of them against us at home on the 30th.   I wouldn't count them out just yet...
Bomber fan for life

theaardvark

Flu like symptoms... hopefully they were testing.. hate to see it end up being COVID and get our guys all infected...

When a team is going to poop the bed, having the flu and white pants, and giving up a 50 burger... SSK does it right.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on September 13, 2022, 05:00:37 PM
I was referring to the Dickenson coaching the Riders who is younger than Craig, his brother.   Not sure why you're pointing this out?

Just trying to help you out.

Craig Dickenson is the older brother, he coaches the Riders.  Dave Dickenson is the younger brother, he coaches the Stamps.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on September 13, 2022, 05:00:37 PM
Whatever was the cause of the Riders being sick, it had a major impact on their performance on Saturday.   I daresay even if our team had suffered the same fate the outcome would likely have been different.   

For the 3rd season running now SSK is the king of making up excuses for losing.  Glutes, knee, flu... have you ever seen another team spend all their press time spewing excuses??  That team has learned they can get a pass from the rabid fans by playing up excuses.

So I take everything they say with a grain of salt.  Did anyone see any sick player?  I didn't.  So did it happen?  Maybe, who knows.  But it sure saved Dickenson The Lesser's job!  And gave every player a great talking point to deflect from the loss, just like the Glute-bowl and Cody's never-gets-better knee.

P.S. Some of the Rider interviews on their site talked about a Mexican restaurant in Regina.  This isn't a case of "got poisoned in WPG".  Since it hit so many players and was so violent, and it's doubtful that many players order the same meal, my money is on noro or rota virus.  Had noro once and it's horrific, and spreads like wildfire especially if bathrooms are shared.  If it was noro/rota, there's a non-zero chance it could have spread to the Bombers through spit, etc... cross your fingers.  On the bright side, the incubation is very short so we'll know right away.

Ask yourself this: if we had 10 guys sick with the flu, would MOS harp on it like they did?  He'd probably mention it once and then say next man up and blast him team for poor play.
Never go full Rider!

bludan

Hypothetical question..... How would this Riders team fare with our coaching staff?  I assume Duke Williams would no longer be on the team, but other than that, roster stays the same.  I would assume at least 3 more wins.  Probably more.  They would have beaten us in the Labour Day game for sure.