What a dirty trick played on Zylstra by Edmonton.

Started by Tiger, September 02, 2022, 12:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

Pigskin

You didn't see this in another thread?? Like maybe Drew Desjarlais and other CFL'ers in the NFL?
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Pigskin on September 02, 2022, 12:52:36 AM
You didn't see this in another thread?? Like maybe Drew Desjarlais and other CFL'ers in the NFL?

Jeez, maybe he didn't and even if he did and wants a new thread, that's not so bad, is it?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Tiger on September 02, 2022, 12:06:14 AM
https://3downnation.com/2022/09/01/brandon-zylstra-says-edmonton-ruined-his-first-shot-at-the-nfl-in-2016/

This is bad for the CFL if true.  Also he does not mention who did this but wasn?t Hervey the GM?

Sounds like Zylstra needed to hire an agent before negotiating with CFL teams, hopefully lesson learned. 

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 02, 2022, 01:18:59 AM
Sounds like Zylstra needed to hire an agent before negotiating with CFL teams, hopefully lesson learned. 
yes! This^

This subject is covered on another thread. This thread is just a rehash and old bloody news. Move on nothing to see here.

Tiger WTH!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

dd

Rehashed or not, still a douchebag move by Edmonton. Football karma is getting them now, i hope they rot for years!!!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: dd on September 02, 2022, 02:14:41 AM
Rehashed or not, still a douchebag move by Edmonton. Football karma is getting them now, i hope they rot for years!!!
Edmonton has made a series is stupid stupid personal decisions.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Tiger

Quote from: Pigskin on September 02, 2022, 12:52:36 AM

Nope not until later
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

lockman

I seem to recall a story about Cal Murphy. There was a player in camp who refused the Bombers contract offer so Cal hid his helmet.

DM83

I don't see the attraction of Jones in Edmonton. Lawler must be itching to get out of his contract there.

theaardvark

Quote from: DM83 on September 02, 2022, 04:49:56 PM
I don't see the attraction of Jones in Edmonton. Lawler must be itching to get out of his contract there.

Well, for now, Lawler is out... be interesting to see if Jones encourages him to stay injured for 6 games... be a good $SMS move for EDM...  not like they have a chance at the playoffs... and they might have enough $SMS issues to cost them draft picks...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

bludan

Neg lists should be abolished: If it's an American player who isn't part of a CFL draft, it should be open season.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on September 02, 2022, 06:58:24 PM
Well, for now, Lawler is out... be interesting to see if Jones encourages him to stay injured for 6 games... be a good $SMS move for EDM...  not like they have a chance at the playoffs... and they might have enough $SMS issues to cost them draft picks...

Another dirty trick teams can play - Docs keeping healthy players off for the savings.
My wife is amazing!

dd

Quote from: bludan on September 03, 2022, 05:52:15 AM
Neg lists should be abolished: If it's an American player who isn't part of a CFL draft, it should be open season.
Absolutely, what happened to zylkstra is inexcusable , underhanded and despicable. I ve always hated Edmonton, just one more reason to now. Glad things worked out for BZ.

theaardvark

Yes, it was dirty how he was forced to play for EDM.  EDM got 2 good years, including one amazing year out of it. 

That said, Zylstra got a chance to hone his skills, have a standout season that put him on the radar for the NFL.  Would he have had as much a chance as an undrafted rook bouncing around PR's?  No one knows.  But we do know, his time in EDM cemented his shot at the NFL. 

So, while it was dispicable and wrong what was done to him, and could have been avoided had he had an agent (I still think NCAA players, or even high schoolers, should be allowed to have agents), it worked out well for him. 

Truthfully, he should have revealed this years ago, after he signed his NFL deal. 

Will he continue his NFL journey now?  He has 4 seasons towards his pension, so that's in place.  Not sure what his Vet status for PR is, or if he has a chance at a roster spot somewhere.  But he will make top dollar in the CFL, and would be welcomed by any team...  but I'd bet EDM and HAM are not on his lists of landing places...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.