Adams Jr. Traded to BC

Started by pjrocksmb, September 01, 2022, 12:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DM83

Adams was a great college QB.  His pro career has been an up hill battle. He hasn't been able to stay with any team.  In my opinion, he is mentally weak.  He is way too emotional.  Fundamentally, his mental game is awful.  He seems to become a hot mess, if he makes a mistake.

Oh well, Montreal possibly came to the same conclusion.

Winnipeg is lucky. We have two backups that could be starters.

Blue In BC

Quote from: DM83 on September 02, 2022, 04:45:19 PM
Adams was a great college QB.  His pro career has been an up hill battle. He hasn't been able to stay with any team.  In my opinion, he is mentally weak.  He is way too emotional.  Fundamentally, his mental game is awful.  He seems to become a hot mess, if he makes a mistake.

Oh well, Montreal possibly came to the same conclusion.

Winnipeg is lucky. We have two backups that could be starters.

Two back ups that could be starters? Based on what?

Brown has 10 completions in 11 games. Prukop has 37 completions in 57 games.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 02, 2022, 05:13:37 PM
Two back ups that could be starters? Based on what?

Brown has 10 completions in 11 games. Prukop has 37 completions in 57 games.

DM83 is just talking straight up incoherent nonsense.

Adams is a pretty good QB. In his first year as a starter, at the age of 26, he played in 16 games for the Alouettes and started in 15 of them. He had a 65.7% pass completion rate, threw for over 3900 yards, had 24 TDs against 13 INTs (good for a 100.9 QBR), and rushed for nearly 400 yards with 12 more majors (tied for first in the league that season) on the ground. He earned a division all-star nod for his efforts.

He was injured just after the midway point last season but had put up some pretty good numbers. This season started off pretty poorly for him but that's not a shocking revelation considering how awful the Alouettes have been in 2022.

There's nothing to suggest he's mentally weak or too emotional.

Interesting sidebar to all of this: Adams' rights were first held by the BC Lions in 2016 before they were traded to the Alouettes a year later at the draft.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on September 02, 2022, 05:18:25 PM
There's nothing to suggest he's mentally weak or too emotional.

Do you watch all of the CFL games, not just the WPG ones?  Almost every other game VAJ is huffing and puffing, or freaking out on the sidelines.  In abnormal ways.  There are so many memorable shots of him literally about to explode with anger whilst just sitting there.  He gets the strangest look on his face.  He definitely has trouble controlling his emotions.

And don't forget the Bighill helmet swing.  He almost belted a bare-head Biggie with his own helmet in-game after a fair tackle.  None of this is normal for a QB.

VAJ's strengths are his deep ball, fearlessness, and quick decisions.  DM83 is right: his main problem is reads, and thus his strengths often lead him into trouble (INTs).  He's a decent hot/cold QB kind of like MBT.  But there's no consistency.  I don't think his football IQ is that high.  He reminds me a lot of a modestly better Dom Davis.

Instead of losing 100% of the games that BC would have without Rourke, they will now win around 50% with VAJ.  It's a great trade for BC: they literally couldn't have done better with what's available.
Never go full Rider!

blue_gold_84

A singular incident isn't indicative of a pattern. He's not Duke Williams.

Expressing emotion - good or bad - doesn't mean an individual is mentally weak or too emotional. There are numerous players in the CFL who emote during games, anyway.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on September 02, 2022, 06:01:46 PM
A singular incident isn't indicative of a pattern. He's not Duke Williams.

Expressing emotion - good or bad - doesn't mean an individual is mentally weak or too emotional. There are numerous players in the CFL who emote during games, anyway.

It's not one time.  It's every other game.  That's what we're trying to say.  Just look at him on the sidelines.  There is literally no other QB that acts like him.  I can't think of one that even comes close in the last 10 years of CFL.  It's just who he is.

And he's not "numerous players", he's the QB, the leader of the team.  QBs, like captains of a ship, need to set the tone and be at a higher level than the other players.  He can't act like some DT like Marino can.

Compare with MBT.  MBT is emotional, gets those crazy eyes and gets really animated on the sidelines, but he doesn't pull the "I'm about to kill someone if I'm not restrained" faces that VAJ does.  MBT also doesn't explode with rage on-field.

If you haven't seen this yet, I'm not sure what to say.  The good thing is, we'll be able to see all this in VAJ in BC in a week or two.  On the one hand VAJ will care less about his new team than his old one he was fully invested in, and might not get as worked up.  But on the other hand, if VAJ plays poorly and loses in BC surrounded by a top-2 caliber team, I could see him having blowups like never before.

Doesn't mean I don't like watching the guy or want him to fail.  He's definitely CFL starter material (at the moment) and the league is better with him playing (at the moment).  He is good enough to win games, that's for sure.
Never go full Rider!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 02, 2022, 06:15:17 PM
It's not one time.

The helmet incident was a one time occurrence.

I won't even bother addressing the rest of your reply. There's no point.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Throw Long Bannatyne

A few unreliable QB's and they all seem to be out east, Adams, Evans, MBT and T. Harris, I hate trying to predict how any of these QB's will perform on any given night. Massively inconsistent seems to be their motto.