Recording TSN football games

Started by Blue_midnight, August 30, 2022, 06:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue_midnight

Hi!  I stopped subscribing to cable TV a while back because the only channel I ever watched was TSN for CFL. Everything else I watched was on Netflix, etc.

Lately, I have been subscribing to TSN on a monthly basis using their App on my iPad. I then cast the game from my iPad to my television (which is the Samsung 55 inch The Frame TV).

That system only allows me to watch games live, which gets problematic with other social obligations (why do people always organize events during Bomber games??)

Does anyone know how I could record the games that I am casting from my iPad onto my smart TV so that I could watch them at a later date?

I wish TSN had an app like NHL game centre that allows users to watch games after the fact.

Perhaps I could buy a PVR recorder? But does that only work for cable content (as opposed to cast content from a different device using the TSN app?

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

TecnoGenius

There's no easy way to record the stream stuff, as it's all HDCP copy protected along the whole wire path.

There are devices that can intercept an HDMI cable/signal and turn it into IP (LAN wire) format you can then record on your computer (iptv).  But you need quite a bit of computer savvy to do this, and they are not cheap.

If you have a family member with Shaw and TSN you can ask to ehem borrow their account creds and watch the games after the fact (usually a couple of hours) on the TSN streaming site.  That covers the "watch the next day" case.

You could also consider getting the dirt cheapest Shaw TV option and the TSN package and record on PVR or (gasp) VCR (if you get analog outputs that is).

If you need more info, private message me.

Others can suggest less than legit methods.  (I don't stream and I don't pirate.  I have Shaw BlueSky and TSN.)
Never go full Rider!

pjrocksmb

I only have found live streams not replays

ichabod_crane

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 30, 2022, 10:26:58 PM
There's no easy way to record the stream stuff, as it's all HDCP copy protected along the whole wire path.

There are devices that can intercept an HDMI cable/signal and turn it into IP (LAN wire) format you can then record on your computer (iptv).  But you need quite a bit of computer savvy to do this, and they are not cheap.

If you have a family member with Shaw and TSN you can ask to ehem borrow their account creds and watch the games after the fact (usually a couple of hours) on the TSN streaming site.  That covers the "watch the next day" case.

You could also consider getting the dirt cheapest Shaw TV option and the TSN package and record on PVR or (gasp) VCR (if you get analog outputs that is).

If you need more info, private message me.

Others can suggest less than legit methods.  (I don't stream and I don't pirate.  I have Shaw BlueSky and TSN.)

I believe TSN post game streaming can work with multiple cable tv sources (Telus, etc), not just Shaw.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ichabod_crane on September 01, 2022, 02:39:52 AM
I believe TSN post game streaming can work with multiple cable tv sources (Telus, etc), not just Shaw.

This is true.  They list lots of providers.  But, I think the original poster was implying he had "cut the cord" of all for-pay broadcast sources.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: Blue_midnight on August 30, 2022, 06:32:11 PM
Hi!  I stopped subscribing to cable TV a while back because the only channel I ever watched was TSN for CFL. Everything else I watched was on Netflix, etc.

Lately, I have been subscribing to TSN on a monthly basis using their App on my iPad. I then cast the game from my iPad to my television (which is the Samsung 55 inch The Frame TV).

That system only allows me to watch games live, which gets problematic with other social obligations (why do people always organize events during Bomber games??)

Does anyone know how I could record the games that I am casting from my iPad onto my smart TV so that I could watch them at a later date?

I wish TSN had an app like NHL game centre that allows users to watch games after the fact.

Perhaps I could buy a PVR recorder? But does that only work for cable content (as opposed to cast content from a different device using the TSN app?

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

I also had this problem for the longest time.

I recently tried googling "CFL on demand TSN" and found the page on the TSN website. You can login using your app credentials and view games on your computer.

https://www.tsn.ca/video/on-demand
My wife is amazing!

Blue_midnight

Thanks for all of your suggestions! @Tecnogenius My father-in -law does have TSN and Shaw (I believe). I sometimes get him to record games and watch them after the fact at his place. Are you saying that if he lent me his username and password that I could stream the games the day after on TSN, but at my own place?

That was one helluva LDC!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue_midnight on September 05, 2022, 05:21:43 PM
Thanks for all of your suggestions! @Tecnogenius My father-in -law does have TSN and Shaw (I believe). I sometimes get him to record games and watch them after the fact at his place. Are you saying that if he lent me his username and password that I could stream the games the day after on TSN, but at my own place?

That was one helluva LDC!

Well in theory you should be able to stream the Games on Demand on TSN Go as soon as they're over, but so far TSN only has the Als/RB replay from last Friday available on their website.  I hear there were some exciting football games this weekend, I spent the majority of the weekend at the hockey rink and missed every one of them so I wouldn't know.

I don't know how huge companies earning multi-millions can be so hopelessly useless at executing their duties.  Does it really come down to some lowly video tech having the long weekend off, so the job goes undone until he shows up for work on Tuesday???  I want a job at a company that pays me well whether I do my job or not!!!!

Sir Blue and Gold

Not sure about the app, but the TSN website does have this feature for paid subscribers. It's a little slow though and slightly sketchy. I see all the CFL games this week except the Bombers game.

https://www.tsn.ca/video/on-demand

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue_midnight on September 05, 2022, 05:21:43 PM

Yes, check out the creds they need by visiting the site.  You live "in the same house" then technically it's legit  ;) ;) :)

Probably need a Shaw "my shaw account" setup, which requires your cust #, etc, I do believe.

Sometimes it takes a few mins/hours for a game to show up after the live telecast.  But they usually all end up there.  Not sure how long they last, but I wouldn't wait longer than 1-2 weeks before watching.
Never go full Rider!

Lincoln Locomotive

Why I listen to games on OB radio....I'm so done with TSN.....they used to post games on YouTube....not any more!   Money grabbers!
Bomber fan for life