Stop "Let's Go Bombers"

Started by TecnoGenius, August 30, 2022, 01:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

While I'm moaning about recent IGF changes...

What's up with the last 2 home games where people start chanting "let's go Bombers" in the 4th Q when we're on O in critical drives??  In the entire life of IGF I've never seen that before these 2-3 games.

WPG fans are super smart, as MOS always says, and know when to be quiet.  So why is this becoming a thing?

My only guess is the team success has brought out lots of non-usual-fans who have no idea how noise in football works?  We as uber fans need to educate these people.  I do the "quiet down" hand motion and maybe it helps in my immediate section, I don't know.  I heard people around talking about the timing of the noise, too.  I was glad to see in the MTL game a player, can't remember who, was doing that too.  That means the players are noticing.

I don't mind "let's go Bombers", but gotta do it on commercials or on D or something.

I'm still leery that it's the odd visitor-team fan starting the chants...  :D

Maybe the WPG fans should try to stir this up in SSK in the LDC  ;D ;D
Never go full Rider!

NewBlue

The wave was going strong (and loud) during the Montreal game on our vital last drive.

Last game on a Leggs convert, the drunks in the endzone were doing a cheerleader toss with their buddy right in Leggs sight.

You'd think we'd know better....

GOLDMEMBER

Oh my lord. In other news do not pee into blowing wind.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

Haha, I missed the drunks tossing.  That's funny.  Did TSN capture it?  Just make sure as they toss people in the air they don't hit them with a 1oz foam football!  ;) :D :D :D

I didn't mind the wave, as I think it's easier to ignore as a player(?).  Dunno.

But the chant certainly travels far.  After my section was doing it I think the "drunk EZ" did it and it was pretty loud even half a field away!  I just worry about Zach sitting there having to deal with that surprise.  Sure they can handle noise when they are at away games because they expect it.   But suddenly hearing noise at your own barn out of the blue after a quiet 3 Q's has got to be slightly unsettling.
Never go full Rider!

The Zipp

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 30, 2022, 01:10:28 AM
While I'm moaning about recent IGF changes...

What's up with the last 2 home games where people start chanting "let's go Bombers" in the 4th Q when we're on O in critical drives??  In the entire life of IGF I've never seen that before these 2-3 games.

WPG fans are super smart, as MOS always says, and know when to be quiet.  So why is this becoming a thing?

My only guess is the team success has brought out lots of non-usual-fans who have no idea how noise in football works?  We as uber fans need to educate these people.  I do the "quiet down" hand motion and maybe it helps in my immediate section, I don't know.  I heard people around talking about the timing of the noise, too.  I was glad to see in the MTL game a player, can't remember who, was doing that too.  That means the players are noticing.

I don't mind "let's go Bombers", but gotta do it on commercials or on D or something.

I'm still leery that it's the odd visitor-team fan starting the chants...  :D

Maybe the WPG fans should try to stir this up in SSK in the LDC  ;D ;D

I have no proof but I suspect it's the fans who are just completely hammered and haven't watched and have no clue what is happening on the field. 

TecnoGenius

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on August 30, 2022, 01:23:51 AM
Oh my lord. In other news do not pee into blowing wind.

As an uber-fan Goldie you know the importance of O quiet!  I'm telling you that this appears to be becoming a thing... and we don't want that.  We're not a hockey game!!

My hope is that when the weather turns and the fairweather fans stay home this will all go away organically.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: The Zipp on August 30, 2022, 01:27:21 AM
I have no proof but I suspect it's the fans who are just completely hammered and haven't watched and have no clue what is happening on the field. 

Haha, you may be on to something.  This summer has seen a lot more really plastered fans in the stands than I'm used to in my normal section(s).  I have nothing against that or having fun... but that just means we need to help them understand that "we need to be quiet(ish) right now" and "make all that noise in 4 mins when we're on D".

Hmm, I wonder if the "Let's Go Bombers" showed up on the TSN mics... I'm gonna go check.  I don't recall other stadiums having this problem this season... it would be a bit shameful if we were the only ones.
Never go full Rider!

pjrocksmb

Yeah the big crowds and fun buy get out of hand when the O needs it to be quiet

Only fix is if we go back to 20k die hards

Bad weather will also help

TecnoGenius

Quote from: pjrocksmb on August 30, 2022, 02:35:39 AM
Yeah the big crowds and fun buy get out of hand when the O needs it to be quiet

Only fix is if we go back to 20k die hards

Yes!  But no.  The big ticket sales are really going to help WFC and I'm rooting for sold out every game.  ;D

Quote from: pjrocksmb on August 30, 2022, 02:35:39 AM
Bad weather will also help

Yes, lucky for us die-hards, the colder weather and return to work/school will organically drop the attendance numbers.
Never go full Rider!

NewBlue

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 30, 2022, 01:25:31 AM
Haha, I missed the drunks tossing.  That's funny.  Did TSN capture it?  Just make sure as they toss people in the air they don't hit them with a 1oz foam football!  ;) :D :D :D

I didn't mind the wave, as I think it's easier to ignore as a player(?).  Dunno.

But the chant certainly travels far.  After my section was doing it I think the "drunk EZ" did it and it was pretty loud even half a field away!  I just worry about Zach sitting there having to deal with that surprise.  Sure they can handle noise when they are at away games because they expect it.   But suddenly hearing noise at your own barn out of the blue after a quiet 3 Q's has got to be slightly unsettling.

It was on TV for sure, might have been one of the 1st 2 converts, so important kicks for him.  I'd guess no kicker wants a distraction going on just to the side of where he's aiming.
As to the wave, it was louder than any chant when we're in the huddle, and is constant noise.  I'm not a party pooper but IMO a cruical last drive is not the time for it.
As to the particular chant this thread is about, not sure if I've noticed it. If we make a big play on O, fans get loud & celebrate, but it gets quiet again by the time they're in the huddle.

bwiser

Quote from: NewBlue on August 30, 2022, 01:16:00 PM
It was on TV for sure, might have been one of the 1st 2 converts, so important kicks for him.  I'd guess no kicker wants a distraction going on just to the side of where he's aiming.
As to the wave, it was louder than any chant when we're in the huddle, and is constant noise.  I'm not a party pooper but IMO a cruical last drive is not the time for it.
As to the particular chant this thread is about, not sure if I've noticed it. If we make a big play on O, fans get loud & celebrate, but it gets quiet again by the time they're in the huddle.
It often seems that the wave starts in the cheap seats in the south end zone. This is where a lot of the casual fans sit and are probably not aware of the time to make noise and the time to be quiet. The Pittsburgh Steelers used to put on the scoreboard "Quiet Ben at work" when the Steelers were on Offense. Maybe the Bombers should do something similar.

theaardvark

I blame it all on the lack of plastic cups.  If we were back to plastic cup land, then there would be the beer snake to occupy the drunken fans...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

3rdand1.5

Quote from: theaardvark on August 30, 2022, 03:11:41 PM
I blame it all on the lack of plastic cups.  If we were back to plastic cup land, then there would be the beer snake to occupy the drunken fans...

lol....beer snake, beer snake, beer snake.....

blue_or_die

I definitely don't like when it happens but there's a part of me that's happy when I look around and see everyone - the diehards and the casuals - there having a great time and getting loud and cheering on our team (even if the time is not right, lol).

Definitely interested in the cost-benefit analysis of that; i.e. do chants while we're on O (which are nothing as loud as when on D) actually affect the players that much? Because if not, meh. Let the paying crowd have their fun. Hey, if they have a great time and come out more often, they'll eventually learn like we all did.
#Ride?

LXTSN

Quote from: blue_or_die on August 30, 2022, 07:16:26 PM
I definitely don't like when it happens but there's a part of me that's happy when I look around and see everyone - the diehards and the casuals - there having a great time and getting loud and cheering on our team (even if the time is not right, lol).

Definitely interested in the cost-benefit analysis of that; i.e. do chants while we're on O (which are nothing as loud as when on D) actually affect the players that much? Because if not, meh. Let the paying crowd have their fun. Hey, if they have a great time and come out more often, they'll eventually learn like we all did.
I've seen Zach Collaros trying to quiet the crowd down at times on offence near the end of the game. I'm sure it does effect them even if it is a lot less effective than on defence.

It's definately one of my pet peeves... along with people trying to start the wave in the middle of the 4th quarter of a close ball game. I know people don't mean any harm by it, and it's all in fun... but read the room lol

RebusRankin

The wave in Q4 while on offense totally pisses me off. First of all, need to be quiet on offense and second, the 80's called and they want their thing back.

LXTSN

Quote from: RebusRankin on August 30, 2022, 08:25:25 PM
The wave in Q4 while on offense totally pisses me off. First of all, need to be quiet on offense and second, the 80's called and they want their thing back.
I thought I might have been alone in thinking this!

dd

Quote from: LXTSN on August 30, 2022, 07:44:59 PM
I've seen Zach Collaros trying to quiet the crowd down at times on offence near the end of the game. I'm sure it does effect them even if it is a lot less effective than on defence.

It's definately one of my pet peeves... along with people trying to start the wave in the middle of the 4th quarter of a close ball game. I know people don't mean any harm by it, and it's all in fun... but read the room lol
Ignorant people can't read!!

Sec223

I'll say it again. Make the Rum Hut accessible from the outside as well as inside. Create a fenced in party zone complete with a large screen. These eager Bomber fans don't even know which way the field is LOL Get them off the concourse so others can get around.

Jesse

Quote from: Sec223 on August 31, 2022, 12:12:32 PM
I'll say it again. Make the Rum Hut accessible from the outside as well as inside. Create a fenced in party zone complete with a large screen. These eager Bomber fans don't even know which way the field is LOL Get them off the concourse so others can get around.

That's not a bad idea, if just to clear out the concourse a bit.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Maybe the stadium staff could put something up on the jumbotron to show fans to be quiet when the offense is on the field.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Sec223 on August 31, 2022, 12:12:32 PM
brilliant!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on August 31, 2022, 01:32:51 PM
Maybe the stadium staff could put something up on the jumbotron to show fans to be quiet when the offense is on the field.

Nah, that would make too much sense!  (And cut into ad space!)

:o :o ;D ;D
Never go full Rider!

DM83

I agree with making an adjustment to the Rum Hut. Those people can be watching the game, so build an extension outward, or above, with the tv screen.  Lots of missed opportunity.

NewBlue

Another thumbs up to the Rum Hut expansion.  Most of those fans aren't even there for the game anyways, its the social aspect.
They'd be more than happy on the otherside as long as they're with lots of other people drinking. And the club will be happy as long as concessions are selling!
I'd guess "tickets" for that area would be cheaper too.