CFL Head Coaches

Started by ModAdmin, August 28, 2022, 05:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Potentially, at the end of this season, it could possibly be one of the most volatile years for head coach changes.

While premature to make any judgments on this subject, it is conceivable that at least five changes of the 9 teams are possible.

Coaches that have jobs potentially in jeopardy include Edmonton, Saskatchewan, Ottawa, Hamilton, Montreal.  If true, it means that Winnipeg's head coach may consider a move but IMHO that is a very long shot given the success he has had in Winnipeg.

It's just something to keep an eye on as the last half of the season unfolds.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Blue In BC

Teams need replacements when they fire a HC. The talent pool is not deep when you see the teams you mention and the choices they made. Of that group I think Lapo stands the best chance to retain his role. If not for the very early injury to Masoli he'd be in the mix for a play off spot IMO. That's a low bar but the reality out east.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Tiger

Quote from: ModAdmin on August 28, 2022, 05:52:45 AM
Potentially, at the end of this season, it could possibly be one of the most volatile years for head coach changes.

While premature to make any judgments on this subject, it is conceivable that at least five changes of the 9 teams are possible.

Coaches that have jobs potentially in jeopardy include Edmonton, Saskatchewan, Ottawa, Hamilton, Montreal.  If true, it means that Winnipeg's head coach may consider a move but IMHO that is a very long shot given the success he has had in Winnipeg.

Pay him and treat him right.  When he has won so much, made enough money and is not as concerned about longevity he may take another job that offers something different or a challenge, especially if it is Toronto whom he played for. 

People are nervous about this.  No need to be for a while as I see it.
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

Tee42

I can see OShea going to Toronto. There will be a big play for him $$. A challenge for OShea to see what he can do there, and maybe a draw to get some bums in seats.

Next guess would be Hamilton.

Winnipeg will be a different team next year, retirements etc...

How long has he been in Winnipeg now?

Tiger

Quote from: Tee42 on August 28, 2022, 02:17:43 PM
I can see OShea going to Toronto. There will be a big play for him $$. A challenge for OShea to see what he can do there, and maybe a draw to get some bums in seats.

Next guess would be Hamilton.

Winnipeg will be a different team next year, retirements etc...

How long has he been in Winnipeg now?

His kids are getting older also.  They may have all consisted HS or getting close.
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

theaardvark

The Mafia has no reason to leave, the front office SMS limits anyone from poaching for money, and there is not a better situation in this league.  There is a reason Huff and Dickensen are still in CGY...  "looking for a challenge" and taking over a Toronto or Hamilton franchise that is struggling is not really logical, especially with the roots put down here, with the team and community.

My only concern is the unlimited funds the NFL has, or an upstart league, being able to offer them "set for life" dollars.

A CFL defection makes no sense at all. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Coaches get fired or leave for better opportunities.

No other team can pay him more - there's a salary cap. Maybe, if he had designs on being a GM, a team could offer him a path to that role - but I don't see it.

There's not much reason to uproot your family for....what exactly..? To start at the bottom of a rebuild again?
My wife is amazing!

dd

Quote from: ModAdmin on August 28, 2022, 05:52:45 AM

Saskatchewan and Hamilton will not be looking for Head Coaches this off season. Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and Edmonton will be. I can see Edmonton being on O?Shea s radar as well as Toronto. These teams  need a proven leader to come in and straighten things out, attract FA and create a new winking culture. I can see O?Shea going to Toronto and lapo being his OC to be closer to family as he nears retirement age

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on August 28, 2022, 03:41:57 PM
Coaches get fired or leave for better opportunities.

No other team can pay him more - there's a salary cap. Maybe, if he had designs on being a GM, a team could offer him a path to that role - but I don't see it.

There's not much reason to uproot your family for....what exactly..? To start at the bottom of a rebuild again?

The danger of stepping into a challenging situation is the real possibility of being fired within a year or two of accepting the challenge if it does not go well.  It can lead to instability as he who has been fired has to uproot his family and move to another city a couple of times in a few short years.

Pigskin

Well I see the MOS leaving Winnipeg stories have started again.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 28, 2022, 01:59:12 PM
Teams need replacements when they fire a HC. The talent pool is not deep when you see the teams you mention and the choices they made. Of that group I think Lapo stands the best chance to retain his role. If not for the very early injury to Masoli he'd be in the mix for a play off spot IMO. That's a low bar but the reality out east.

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 28, 2022, 01:59:12 PM

Agree unless you find a better replacement, you don't get better by deletion

TecnoGenius

And who would have said last year that R.Campbell had to fear for his job?  BC was very bad last year, with, arguably, the league's best (certainly highest paid) QB, and the best SB (Burnham).

I would have thought Campbell's situation was very precarious.  Mr. Tummy-Rub Tongue-Out Crooked-Hat didn't even last 1 season.

But they stuck with Mr. Finger-On-Lips and now they are the 2nd best team (if Rourke is in).

Maybe HCs get blamed for a lot that really is beyond their control... BC's situation was cleaned up more by the GM spending more wisely this season than by who was coaching.

P.S. One would think you have to add Dinwiddie to the list of possibly witch-burns, especially if the argos don't finish #1 or #2 in E.
Never go full Rider!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Tiger on August 28, 2022, 02:33:45 PM

His kids are getting older also.  They may have all consisted HS or getting close.

Technically, he was hired by the WFC in 2013. It'll be nine years this December.

I don't think he's leaving any time soon. Especially to a mess like the Argonauts.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on August 29, 2022, 03:49:36 PM
I don't think he's leaving any time soon. Especially to a mess like the Argonauts.

Pinball can be very persuasive...
Never go full Rider!

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!