Official Game Day Thread - Calgary at Winnipeg August 25, 2022

Started by ModAdmin, August 24, 2022, 03:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Bombers are back in action at home against the Stamps.

In:  #39 Rene, #69 Machino, #81 Harrison

Out:  #2 Ellingson, #80 Grant, #17 Kramdi

Ellingson has been placed on the 6 game injured list.

Calgary starts Maier at QB.

Blue Bomber Position Chart is here...

https://twitter.com/Wpg_BlueBombers/status/1562449871897956352/photo/1

Stampeders Position Chart is here...

https://twitter.com/DannyAustin_9/status/1562450264270835714/photo/1

Let's go Bombers!

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

DM83

I am nervous about this one.
Calgary has improved
Maier is the real deal
We have again,,become one dimensional. At best on offence,

I strongly believe we are too slow at receiver.  I see the team has not done anything to improve.
Secondly, it's only a matter of time before Zac gets injured, as the O line at left guard is feeble.
Third Rose has some sort of weird philosophy this year it seems...I.e.get beat for a hundred yards ?

Montreal went Man almost exclusively the last couple games, and their front seven, dominated the last two games.  If I am Calgary I do the same thing.

This could be ugly.

The Zipp

time for our all-stars to be all stars

Jefferson, Jeffcoat, Bighill,  hardrick and Bryant

win the trenches - win the game as we have the talent and coaching to take advantage of that.

i have been on Rose all season - he gets beat more than he makes plays, that has to stop.

buckzumhoff

Not worried about this game . bombers stop the run should be good. All teams have improved . . should win this game. Leggio has to be fairly consistent. I think stamps will probably trying to stay in the game and do what montreal did . win by field goals

BBRT

Quote from: buckzumhoff on August 24, 2022, 06:32:18 PM
Not worried about this game . bombers stop the run should be good. All teams have improved . . should win this game. Leggio has to be fairly consistent. I think stamps will probably trying to stay in the game and do what montreal did . win by field goals

I am not all that comfortable. I have my doubts about our ability to stop the run and unless our OL picks up their game the Stamps DL will dominate.

ModAdmin

27,500 plus seats sold for this game so far.  Bring the noise!!
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TBURGESS

Two of the best games this season were against Calgary. They shoulda, coulda won the first one. I'm hoping/expecting another hard fought, tight game that's won late in the 4th.

In my mind, it comes down to Carey. If they get him going early and often, they stay on the field, wear us down, nullify our rush & open up the deep ball.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: DM83 on August 24, 2022, 05:38:58 PM
Montreal went Man almost exclusively the last couple games, and their front seven, dominated the last two games.  If I am Calgary I do the same thing.

CGY loves tight zone coverage.  It lets them get big hits and tip-INTs.  I don't see CGY going man much more than they usually do.  Schoen, Bailey, Woli can out-muscle their man, and Demski can out-speed them.  All our guys can at times run a sweet route.  Zach loves himself some man coverage with the right playcalls!

I hope we hyper-focus on Carey and the run (and Begelton sweeps/hitches).  Make Maier chuck it down the field.  I think our DL is finally up to the task?

Oh ya, and contain Maier, don't let him scramble for 1st down.  Basically, pull out the "rookie running QB" playbook Mr. Hall!
Never go full Rider!

jdrattops

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 24, 2022, 08:18:54 PM
Two of the best games this season were against Calgary. They shoulda, coulda won the first one. I'm hoping/expecting another hard fought, tight game that's won late in the 4th.

In my mind, it comes down to Carey. If they get him going early and often, they stay on the field, wear us down, nullify our rush & open up the deep ball.

Just like the didn?t the first two games.  Calgary should be worried coming off of 4 day rest playing an O?Shea team that does fairly well off a bye.  There is no deep ball in Calgary, they can?t catch.  Carey has been nothing more than average against the Bombers.  The only thing Calgary has going for them is they need this one badly or Sask will overtake them at some point this second half of the season.

jdrattops

Quote from: DM83 on August 24, 2022, 05:38:58 PM
I am nervous about this one.
Calgary has improved
Maier is the real deal
We have again,,become one dimensional. At best on offence,

I strongly believe we are too slow at receiver.  I see the team has not done anything to improve.
Secondly, it's only a matter of time before Zac gets injured, as the O line at left guard is feeble.
Third Rose has some sort of weird philosophy this year it seems...I.e.get beat for a hundred yards ?

This could be ugly.

Calgary squeaked by Toronto and Maier looked pretty incompetent.  There defense held them in and stole it from a bad Boatman team.  Law of averages for Collaros?  It?s only a matter of time until he throws for 400 and 5 TD?s. 

wpg#1

Quote from: jdrattops on August 24, 2022, 09:03:29 PM
Just like the didn?t the first two games.  Calgary should be worried coming off of 4 day rest playing an O?Shea team that does fairly well off a bye.  There is no deep ball in Calgary, they can?t catch.  Carey has been nothing more than average against the Bombers.  The only thing Calgary has going for them is they need this one badly or Sask will overtake them at some point this second half of the season.

Sask will overtake them ? That's HILARIOUS !!
How about Sask will lose ground to the ELKS
GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !

TecnoGenius

Quote from: jdrattops on August 24, 2022, 09:03:29 PM
There is no deep ball in Calgary, they can?t catch.

Well, Henry is back in this week, and he's been their deep leader, but that was with BLM... so it remains to be seen if Maier can hit him in stride: assuming we don't bust coverage.

Quote from: jdrattops on August 24, 2022, 09:07:01 PM
Calgary squeaked by Toronto and Maier looked pretty incompetent.  There defense held them in and stole it from a bad Boatman team.  Law of averages for Collaros?  It?s only a matter of time until he throws for 400 and 5 TD?s. 

Ya, Maier really doesn't scare me.  But you hint at something important: CGY D will play harder than usual to try to cover for their weak O.  They know the game will depend on them.  That makes them more dangerous... well, until we demoralize them by going up 2+ scores.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

We're starting 8 NATs again.  Gives us some flexibility to spell NATs with IMPs/GLOBs.

I'm not sure about the McCrae thing... Why aren't we starting Harrison and actually put him on the field to see what he can do??  And what about McKnight, didn't we bring him back then not then bring him back then not?  If GE2 is out 6+ games, do we bring McKnight back again?

We pulled Schoen out of a hat, but our other WR prospects this year haven't really done anything.  Where are the scouts?

McCrae has gotten like a handful of pass attempts this year, most behind/at the LoS.  Basically invisible.  Why don't we try some different things with him, and if it fails, move on?

Since BO and McCrae will be on the field at the same time, why don't we try a few two-back sets, straddling Zach, to spice things up and confuse the D?
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

Nice to see Rene getting some playing time. Logan is a guy I think the Bombers have to key on. This guy is explosive. Also it looks like Carey is back in for Calgary this week.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

CGY starting a new OL RT (Coker)... we should really attack that right side.  Jefferson could have himself a day.  Let's dial up some stunts and lots of pressure, too!  If there was ever a game to bring the heat, it's this one.
Never go full Rider!