Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2022/2023 Season

Started by blue_gold_84, August 16, 2022, 05:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on May 30, 2023, 09:11:25 PM
Montreal/Winnipeg trade for PL80.  Maybe Joshua Roy, and this years #5 pick in the draft. A number of very good players in the top 10. If a player like Fantilli  dropped to #5, that would be a great pick.

I don?t think PLD is going to be moved to Montreal. They are a rebuilding team and aren?t going to give up the assets we want for PLD - they certainly won?t give up the #5 pick - and I doubt Chevy even wants the high pick, because he wants a player back.

Montreal probably feels like they can just make PLD an offer in next years free agency.
My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

I think PL80 gets an offer sheet if he doesn't sign a deal here.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on May 31, 2023, 03:31:56 PM
I think PL80 gets an offer sheet if he doesn't sign a deal here.

Is there a case of that actually happening?

Most likely situations are: Trade, trade at the deadline, walks in FA. In that order.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on May 30, 2023, 02:49:17 AM
...we battled to the conference finals in 2018/19. That should have been the beginning of our run. Unfortunately, it turned out to be the peak and we've straight up wasted the prime years of our core. Even if we could bring everyone back - all this team has proven to be is a bubble team that may or may not make the playoffs.

It was 2017-18 when the Jets finished second overall and made it the WCF, losing to a team that was basically carried to the SCF by a reinvigorated Fleury. A year later, the Jets lost in six to the hottest team in the league post-Christmas break and the eventual Stanley Cup champions. The 2018-19 off-season proved to be pretty disastrous when 2/3 of the blue line was traded (Trouba), signed elsewhere (Myers, Chiarot), and bailed (Byfuglien). I can't think of any other team in recent history that had to deal with circumstances like that, much less a team that relies predominantly on draft and develop to fill its roster.

Quote from: theaardvark on May 30, 2023, 06:57:52 PM
Tying MS55 around your neck like an albatross without a letter on his chest seems like a bad idea.  Even trading him for someone who approximates his production, even if it costs you a good prospect or draft pick would be a much better move, even if you lose PLD80.

This seems like a baseless assumption. If the team re-signs him, I would argue it's more likely he keeps a letter than not.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Pigskin

Quote from: Jesse on May 31, 2023, 04:45:19 PM
Is there a case of that actually happening?

Most likely situations are: Trade, trade at the deadline, walks in FA. In that order.

Yes, there is.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Pigskin on May 31, 2023, 08:17:02 PM
Yes, there is.

Is there really, though?

If a team submits an offer sheet and it works for the Jets, all the latter has to do is match it and they retain Dubois for the term and money offered. If not, they get all the compensation from the team that gets him via offer sheet.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Pigskin

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on May 31, 2023, 08:43:55 PM
Is there really, though?

If a team submits an offer sheet and it works for the Jets, all the latter has to do is match it and they retain Dubois for the term and money offered. If not, they get all the compensation from the team that gets him via offer sheet.

True, but it has happens. Kotkaniemi got an offer sheet from Carolina. Montreal did not match. I think they received 2, 1st. round picks. I am pretty sure PL80 would be worth at least 3 first round picks.

Jockitch

Definite speculation time as the June Draft will follow shortly after the Cup final    GOOOO Panthers, and PM., GOOOOO

Caught a SportsNet blurb that says the Sharks are dangling their 1st Rd., 4th pick status
Anyone want to guess what package Chevy might offer 
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

Pigskin

Quote from: Jockitch on May 31, 2023, 09:56:20 PM
Definite speculation time as the June Draft will follow shortly after the Cup final    GOOOO Panthers, and PM., GOOOOO

Caught a SportsNet blurb that says the Sharks are dangling their 1st Rd., 4th pick status
Anyone want to guess what package Chevy might offer 

Stanley and MS55?
Stanley and BW26, wishful thinking.
PL80.
Stanley, NS88. wishful thinking again.

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on May 31, 2023, 09:27:41 PM
True, but it has happens. Kotkaniemi got an offer sheet from Carolina. Montreal did not match. I think they received 2, 1st. round picks. I am pretty sure PL80 would be worth at least 3 first round picks.

I think you're dreaming, man.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Pigskin on May 31, 2023, 09:27:41 PM

It wouldn't work that way.

This is the current compensation structure: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fuukcr0WcAIwnvI?format=jpg&name=small

I'm confident in saying a team* would offer him around north of $8M AAV, in which case the Jets would get a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd (up to ~$8.6M AAV); 2 1sts, a 2nd, and 3rd (~$8.6 to ~$10.7M AAV); or 4 1sts (~$10.7M or higher AAV).

The Jets are currently projected to have just shy of $13M in cap space (just for information purposes).

* I have no idea what team would offer sheet him
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

So, Dubas signed in Pittsburg as President.

Question.  If Chevy left/was fired, would another team sign him?  At the GM level or above?  No doubt he could land a job as a draft guy or the like, but an "in charge" position?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on June 01, 2023, 04:13:48 PM
So, Dubas signed in Pittsburg as President.

Question.  If Chevy left/was fired, would another team sign him?  At the GM level or above?  No doubt he could land a job as a draft guy or the like, but an "in charge" position?

What would it matter? He'd no longer be part of this organization, so it wouldn't have any effect on the Jets whatsoever.

Also, who's the new GM in this made-up scenario of yours?
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 01, 2023, 04:20:06 PM
What would it matter? He'd no longer be part of this organization, so it wouldn't have any effect on the Jets whatsoever.

Also, who's the new GM in this made-up scenario of yours?

My point was that if Chevy isn't a GM that would be sought after, why is he acceptable as our GM?

Who is the new GM?  There are probably half a dozen good candidates out there... but I am not versed in that talent pool, sorry.

Just saying that are we accepting Chevy's presence as being "the best we can do" or "the Devil you know" instead of finding the best possible talent.

Not sure how much Chevy had to do with the drafting until now... some great picks have been made, but was that him making the decision, or just announcing the pick.  Same with the trades that have been made... was that scouting that was responsible, or Chevy?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on June 01, 2023, 06:38:49 PM
My point was that if Chevy isn't a GM that would be sought after, why is he acceptable as our GM?

Who is the new GM?  There are probably half a dozen good candidates out there... but I am not versed in that talent pool, sorry.

Just saying that are we accepting Chevy's presence as being "the best we can do" or "the Devil you know" instead of finding the best possible talent.

Not sure how much Chevy had to do with the drafting until now... some great picks have been made, but was that him making the decision, or just announcing the pick.  Same with the trades that have been made... was that scouting that was responsible, or Chevy?

What does this even mean, lol?

Scouts make their reports and the GM has the final say...like in every other club.
My wife is amazing!