Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2022/2023 Season

Started by blue_gold_84, August 16, 2022, 05:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on May 23, 2023, 07:37:10 PM
He made it clear he's not interested in staying for a rebuild - and I can't say I blame him considering how much he's given this organization recently and its failings by not addressing shortcomings adequately.

I hope it won't come to that for the Jets and they're able to re-tune the roster to compete for not only another playoff berth but a deep run.

Is there any chance that the Jets "rebuild"?

I can see them moving on from some veterans, MS55, BW26, PLD80... but they retain a very talented core.  Is that a rebuild, or a retool?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jockitch

Soooooo many teams would want HellB., of course including our Jets

A big contender should be the Hurricanes, if he balks signing extension here.
Cap Friendly has them in a good Cap position and with aging goalies, I give it a hmmmm.
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on May 23, 2023, 11:42:52 PM
Is there any chance that the Jets "rebuild"?

I can see them moving on from some veterans, MS55, BW26, PLD80... but they retain a very talented core.  Is that a rebuild, or a retool?

I don?t know how you could lose your top 2 centres and call it a retool.
My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

Quote from: Jesse on May 24, 2023, 02:34:04 AM
I don?t know how you could lose your top 2 centres and call it a retool.

You don't. It's a rebuild. I also don't know who this very talented core is.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pigskin

If the Jets have to trade PL80, I can't see them moving MS55 at this point. They would be left with CP91 as a top 6 C. CP91 has some skill, but hasn't been able to finish a season yet. NE27 very skill, but gets injured far to often. That leaves this team with KC81. NN62 is a 20-25 goal man, but probably would be a 3rd. line player on any of the top teams. Also trading 55,26 and 80 all at once your giving up 186 points.

36,17,22. Really like this group as our 3rd. line. But none of them are top 6 players. Would really like to see, 62,17,22 as our 3rd. unit.

Our 4th. line crew, very low production. Would be looking for a little more toughness in that group.

If the Jets are going to trade PL80 and Helli. They will need players in return who are top 6 and can step in right now.

Jesse

They have to trade PL80 at some point. He doesn't say much about his future, but he does insist that going to FA is important to him. The highest return we can get for him would be before the season starts, I would think.

I can't imagine the Jets letting Scheif or Helle go unless the players flat out refuse to sign. But it's probably not a great long term move - the same core that's been a bubble team for 5 years, only now paying more money to fewer players.
My wife is amazing!

blue_or_die

PLD is as good as gone. I thought after the amazing first half we had last season that if we went on a deep run he would return but after we showed our true colours, that possibility went away. Trade him at the time and for the deal that garners the greatest return (I'm talking high picks and interesting prospects)

Scheif and Helle are in the prime years of their careers and looking to win in their next contract. I don't blame them for not wanting part of a rebuild at a time they should be leading good teams to victory. Trade them at the time and for the deal that garners the greatest return (I'm talking high picks and interesting prospects)

Wheeler is going to be a third or fourth line mercenary for a contender for his final years playing in the NHL. He will want whoever gives him his final chance to get a cup. Retain half his salary & trade him at the time and for the deal that garners the greatest return (I'm talking high picks and interesting prospects)

The only thing that would sway my opinion would be if Scheif or Helle committed to Winnipeg and wanted to sign long term for a windfall of cash (I'm fine with this). I would still trade the rest but would be open to getting players and treat it more like a retool than a rebuild. Other teams have been successful doing retools to get back in the playoff race. Of course it's a gamble if you're getting your team over a critical hump to the promise land or just delaying the inevitable. It's a tough balance to strike and there are no guarantees.
#Ride?

theaardvark

You can lose MS55 and PLD80 *IF* you replace one or both, either in the trade or through FA. 

There are a lot of top C in FA...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

Quote from: theaardvark on May 25, 2023, 03:54:17 AM
You can lose MS55 and PLD80 *IF* you replace one or both, either in the trade or through FA. 

Who are these top C in FA. I just looked at the list. Not much on there.

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on May 25, 2023, 07:27:13 AM
Who are these top C in FA. I just looked at the list. Not much on there.

Even if there were, we all know the issues with signing FA's here. It's kind of the reason I'm on the complete tear down plan.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on May 25, 2023, 03:54:17 AM

You don't replace those two through free agency. You need to trade either and the return would have to be commensurate in order to not label things a rebuild.

Cheveldayoff's got his work cut out in what will be arguably his most challenging off-season yet.

Quote from: Jesse on May 25, 2023, 11:37:00 AM
Even if there were, we all know the issues with signing FA's here. It's kind of the reason I'm on the complete tear down plan.

We'll be in for some lean and disappointing years ahead if that comes to pass. I sincerely hope there's another way to right the ship.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Jesse

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on May 25, 2023, 01:30:29 PM
You don't replace those two through free agency. You need to trade either and the return would have to be commensurate in order to not label things a rebuild.

Cheveldayoff's got his work cut out in what will be arguably his most challenging off-season yet.

We'll be in for some lean and disappointing years ahead if that comes to pass. I sincerely hope there's another way to right the ship.

I just can't envision what that could possible be.

Even if we re-signed everyone (including PLD), that's the same "on the play-off bubble" calibre roster we've had for the last 5 years - only now we'd have much more money invested in the MS, PLD, and CH. Which means even less to spend on the rest of the team.
My wife is amazing!

blue_or_die

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on May 25, 2023, 01:30:29 PM

Re the bold...not necessarily. For sure we would be finishing outside the playoffs for several consecutive years, but if it's made clear that we are rebuilding, the Jets can market it and we can start to get excited to watch the high draft picks we sign as they develop into future stars, and can get excited about what we could become one day "soon". Being disappointed depends on the expectation set. If we go all out to sign as many of the core as possible and just miss the playoffs or exit after 4-5 games, then yeah that's for sure a disappointment.
#Ride?

Pigskin

I haven't renewed my season tickets yet. Waiting to see what happens over the summer.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on May 25, 2023, 05:34:31 PM
I just can't envision what that could possible be.

Ditto. It's a wait and see approach as far as I'm concerned.

Quote from: blue_or_die on May 25, 2023, 06:36:46 PM
Re the bold...not necessarily. For sure we would be finishing outside the playoffs for several consecutive years, but if it's made clear that we are rebuilding, the Jets can market it and we can start to get excited to watch the high draft picks we sign as they develop into future stars, and can get excited about what we could become one day "soon". Being disappointed depends on the expectation set. If we go all out to sign as many of the core as possible and just miss the playoffs or exit after 4-5 games, then yeah that's for sure a disappointment.

You don't get a chance to make a run unless you make the playoffs, though. Not saying it's the rule but look at a team like the Panthers right now. Anything is possible in the playoffs but you have to make it in first.

The Jets have struggled to market the team well recently. Trying to market a potential rebuild seems like a failure to me, especially when players have no interest in being part of it.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.