Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2022/2023 Season

Started by blue_gold_84, August 16, 2022, 05:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Zipp

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on April 29, 2023, 04:53:01 PM
Bowness' post-game comments hit the nail on the head.

No push-back. No pride.

TNSE has some major decisions to make this off-season.

Wheeler didn't care for them.  Bones is up at a presser in about 20 mins...I suspect there will be some damage control and an apology of sorts...I had no prob with what bones said...kinda falls back to him though. 

For as much stock as you want to put into Rod Peterson I saw a clip that he heard from nhl execs last off season that Chevy tried to trade MS and BW and teams didn't want them because they knew what they would be getting.  Chevy has no choice but to unload for peanuts now.

Pigskin

Maybe Bones has decided to retire. I can't see these players playing for him next year. The Jets may have to trade the whole team to keep Bones.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on April 29, 2023, 03:25:58 AM
I will disagree with the no grit comment. 17, 7, 62, 36, 22, 8 all come to play every night. On D 2,4,5, 44 before he was injured. 54 will be much better next season.

Chevy has been here since the Jets return. Time for some fresh management.

I don't think he's talking about individual "tough guy" grit.

He means the ability, as a team, to push back when your backs are against the wall.

In an elimination game, we just got embarrassed.
My wife is amazing!

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on April 29, 2023, 07:28:31 PM
Maybe Bones has decided to retire.

He said he unequivocally wants to be back, rebuild or not.
My wife is amazing!

dd

Quote from: Jesse on April 29, 2023, 07:29:23 PM

He means the ability, as a team, to push back when your backs are against the wall.

Embarrassed indeed, and any coach or player who accepts getting beat like that, you don?t want him. I for one applaud Bowness for calling everyone out vs accept it and say we ll get em next year. That effort was deplorable. Bowness later said that disgusted was too strong a word?-no it wasn?t. It was disgusting. We played like losers, just happy to have made the playoffs, so let?s go home. Unacceptable and I expect lineup changes as we ain?t winning with this group. Maurice knew it and got out and now Bowness has just rang the bell. Time for change

The Zipp

Kevin Cheveldayoff will be back as GM next season, reports Elliotte Friedman.

DM83

I don?t put much
In freedman. He is a wanna be. But he tries

Bowness should not take back anything he said.
Scheifele plays like has a no back check clause
Yet I have seen him stand around the face off circle sometimes.
Wheeler die not seem to want ?it? but when he tries he is force.
Dubois is a force but, sometimes you wonder whose side he is on.
The defense is awful, overpaid, unassertive,never mind aggressive.Pionk is a chiuawwa.
Schmitt at $5.5 million is crazy. Is he related to Cheveldayoff.

Bottom line Cheveldayoff after 12? Years is a proven loser

ModAdmin

TSN
@TSN_Sports
2h
Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff announces that Rick Bowness will return behind the Jets bench.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

dd

I d be making some serious changes to our lineup?Aside from helleybuck, Kyle Conor and morresey- all are tradeable and I?d even trade morresey if it came right down to it. But half our forwards and defense should be in the AHL, they aren?t NHL caliber players. We need better top 6 production, we had invisible ghosts when push came to shove. Dubois would be the first to go, followed by wheeler and sheffeile. Our defense is awful we need at least 3 more to give us 4 solid D.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on April 29, 2023, 07:29:23 PM

This. Was Bowness' delivery heated after the loss? Yes. Could he have chosen his words better? Maybe. Does it matter? No. He spoke candidly and some players on this team chose to personalize and dramatize his comments.

There's a reason Wheeler was stripped of the captaincy (something I didn't see coming and was surprised it happened). And based on his response to Bowness' remarks, it seems obvious why he was no longer the captain. Leading by example only works when it's consistent.

Same goes for Scheifele. Here's a guy I thought would be the next captain based on a few really good campaigns. Not the case anymore, though. While he's a consistent point getter still, his effort or commitment is inconsistent, especially away from the puck. That's not leadership material.

This team as a whole bought into a new system this past season. They were battling for a top spot in the conference as a result. But then things began to slide and they tumbled down the standings. They somehow found a way get back on track late in the season and after a huge win to open up the first round, they found themselves in a hole after two really tight game at homes. Rather than push back, they were pushed over and their season came to a halt.

If adversity is a problem for the so-called leaders on this team, then it's probably time to move on from them.

I just don't want a rebuild. A retune would be more palatable, as I think there's still enough talent on this roster looking ahead to next season to compete for a playoff berth.

If it's without a guy like Wheeler, so be it.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

The Zipp

Making the playoffs for a one game win could be the setting point to continuing this mediocrity.  Had we missed the playoffs we would likely have had to follow what the flames did...fire GM and coach. 

dd

So much has been said about Bowness....how about what the players said, or more importantly, didn't say. None appeared to be too upset about their hopeless performance, most were very chill about it. Punt those losers the heck out of the dressing room. Those who are happy with being embarrassed, should be gone. Starting with #26. Don't worry about what Bowness said, why didn't he say that he too was upset with their performance speaks volumes of what's wrong in that dressing room. Players are happy to be playing in the NHL --and some of them rightfully so, as they should really be playing in the AHL.

Pigskin

theaardvark

With the announcement that Chevy AND Bowness are expected back next year, I'm guessing there will be a number of players that will not be.

Already seeing tweets complaining about Falby, Stenlund and other bottom 6 / pressbox players "taking up roster space".  I think that our min wage guys are the least of our worries, that they deliver more than thier money's worth in skill and effort, and every team that has players making over $6mil needs players making min wage.

Draft and develop takes time, yeah, and you can't rebuild quickly through draft picks.  Its going to take scouts getting teams to part with players with upside for our malcontents, as well as draft picks. 

I was 100% with signing CH37 long term to $10 mil before the year ended, but his exit interview siding with the existing "leadership group" against Bowness makes me question that going forward.  If he was just going with the flow and not trying to focus attention on himself, then I'm fine keeping him.  But if he is one that thinks BW26 is still captain without the "C", then we need to get max return for him this offseason, and start looking at our young tenders to take over.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

Moose will have to play game 5 as they spent a lot of time in the penalty box and lost last night.