Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2022/2023 Season

Started by blue_gold_84, August 16, 2022, 05:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Pigskin on March 05, 2023, 03:14:54 AM
Great bounce back game. Everyone battled hard. Lowry finally gets the monkey off his back. D chips in with 4 goals.

Not a masterpiece but a much, much needed two points last night.

Hopefully, they can build off that win because March is going to get any easier. Need to get healthy, too.

Quote from: Jesse on March 05, 2023, 01:05:28 PM
Chevy always has the built in excuse that players have Winnipeg on their no-trade list.

90%+ of players who have NMC/NTCs built into their contracts include Winnipeg, so it makes facilitating trades for those players difficult to do. That'll be a challenge for any GM in a small market, especially north of the 49th.

It is disappointing that they couldn't find a way to get Chychrun here. He would've really bolstered the blue line, IMO.
#forthew
лава Україні!
What a wretched timeline.

Jockitch

Fantastic team victory with Lowry and Barron finding the back of the net truly of vital importance going forward. 

Defensively it is really a mystery where our team concept has gone
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

theaardvark

NMC/MTC's will always be waived by a player with an opportunity to join a contender, so as long as you build a contender, that shouldn't be an issue.

New guys are having an impact, we will see if Bowness gets teh desired result from benching Schmidt and Stanley...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on March 05, 2023, 08:58:27 PM
NMC/MTC's will always be waived by a player with an opportunity to join a contender, so as long as you build a contender, that shouldn't be an issue.

New guys are having an impact, we will see if Bowness gets teh desired result from benching Schmidt and Stanley...

If they're going to be a UFA, maybe.

Not what Chevy is reportedly looking for though. He wanted guys with term or would sign an extension (in order to move assets).
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on March 05, 2023, 08:58:27 PM

You shouldn't speak in absolutes about a pretty complex issue related to player contracts.
#forthew
лава Україні!

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on March 06, 2023, 02:52:32 PM
You shouldn't speak in absolutes about a pretty complex issue related to player contracts.

OK, maybe not an absolute... maybe an occasional player doesn't care about post season play and has roots in his community and isn't interested in moving their family for a three month run at the cup.  After all, there's no post season compensation unlike the CFL where it is a considerable winfall to win the cup.

But, any player with a fire to win (would you want anything else) would wave a NMC/NTC to get to a team that has a 100% better chance to win the cup...

Even if that team is in Winnipeg. Or Ottawa. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_or_die

Quote from: Jesse on March 05, 2023, 01:05:28 PM
Chevy always has the built in excuse that players have Winnipeg on their no-trade list.

Roster and system should be good enough without FAs/trade deadline deals to make the playoffs as of now. I don't think that excuse applies anymore. When we inevitably go through a rebuild cycling, we will have to be extra patient while we draft and develop, but we're at the peak of that cycle right now so it's as good as it's going to get.
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on March 06, 2023, 03:13:56 PM
OK, maybe not an absolute... maybe an occasional player doesn't care about post season play and has roots in his community and isn't interested in moving their family for a three month run at the cup.  After all, there's no post season compensation unlike the CFL where it is a considerable winfall to win the cup.

But, any player with a fire to win (would you want anything else) would wave a NMC/NTC to get to a team that has a 100% better chance to win the cup...

Even if that team is in Winnipeg. Or Ottawa. 

You'd have a point if there weren't multiple contenders during a given season going into the trade deadline. This season is no exception.

Quote from: blue_or_die on March 06, 2023, 07:03:48 PM
Roster and system should be good enough without FAs/trade deadline deals to make the playoffs as of now. I don't think that excuse applies anymore. When we inevitably go through a rebuild cycling, we will have to be extra patient while we draft and develop, but we're at the peak of that cycle right now so it's as good as it's going to get.

That's why the draft and develop model is so important for a franchise like the Jets. A steady pipeline of prospect talent is crucial to maintaining consistent success on the ice.

FWIW, I think the Jets can get away with a retool going into the next cycle, which I think could explain why Cheveldayoff wasn't seemingly willing to trade away a bunch of picks for rental players. However, it's going to hinge on whether or not he can re-sign key pieces like Scheifele and Dubois.

There are so many factors at play.
#forthew
лава Україні!

Jockitch

Dubois, terrific news, and Appleton back in as well as Schmidt on D..  Really a high flying effort needed vs the Sharks 

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

blue_gold_84

Awesome news re: Dubois and Appleton. Sounds like Rittich gets the start in net.
#forthew
лава Україні!

Pigskin

Sad. PP terrible. Faceoffs, terrible. Overtime, sloppy.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jockitch

Quote from: Pigskin on March 07, 2023, 03:02:24 AM
Sad. PP terrible. Faceoffs, terrible. Overtime, sloppy.

include , heck, I've got nothing more than   OUCH that loss was crushing

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!

theaardvark

How much of this team is "om the limp", but still being let to play? 

I'm sorry.  This team has enough depth to allow a guy like Dubois, Appleton or even Wheeler some time to properly heal up.  They are useless at 75%.  I'd rather HAVE Axel Jonsson-Fj?llby playing his heart out to stick with the team rather than a veteran coasting so as to not hurt himself again/more.

Schmidtty seemed revitalized after his night in the pressbox.  Maybe its time for more of the like.  He got inspired, but it doesn't seem like anyone else did. 

blue_gold_84

You don't sit the equivalent of an entire forward line and replace it with depth pieces with the expectation to continue competing for a playoff spot. It's March - players across the league are banged up and not at 100% after roughly 3/4 of the season. Teams still in the hunt ice their best roster based on talent first and foremost. You rest players when you've locked up a post-season berth and the Jets are nowhere near that happening any time soon.

The depth on this team drops off pretty noticeably after the top 6, especially where offensive prowess in concerned. The bottom six went roughly five weeks without registering a goal IIRC.

The Jets let one get away last night. They dominated the offensive zone ice-time but when they had to play defensive hockey, they struggled. That's got to change if they have any hope of keeping pace in the division - in a hurry.
#forthew
лава Україні!